View Full Version : Hi everybody!

03-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Hey everyone. My names Paul, but I go by robofreak on the web. I've been into modeling for several years doing mostly Gundam and Warhammer. I got a little bored with mecha modeling for the time being and decided to try something new. Garage kits seemed like a good place to start. What's funny though, is that I don't know the first thing about painting figures, but I've been learning.

I bought this recast kit of Belldandy and have been working on it for the past several days. The cast wasn't the greatest and I was afraid to do certain things to it for fear of ruining the $70 that I already invested into this kit. I don't have pictures, but the problems were mostly in her dress which I'll post pics of later, I think I got it looking fairly nice though. The hair also had some issues, but I was afraid to do a lot of the finer clean up work.

I've never done anything like this before so if anyone has any comments or tips I would greatly appreciate the input.

03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Enjoy your stay here. Everyone is great and will help you at the drop of a hat.

03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Welcome robofreak!

My modeling history is not a long one, in fact it's quite similar to yours. 6 or 7 years ago I started out collecting and painting Gundam model kits and became intrigued with figures as my Gundam collection rapidly bloated its way to the ceiling.

I made an innocent inquiry on the j-hobby (now plajapan) forums and the response I was given sealed the deal. "It's not much different from plastic modeling, priming and preparation prior to masking and painting is largely the same, you will just need to pin your parts together in addition to possibly correcting the fit."

Well, several years and several thousand dollars later, I think it's safe to say that I've been hooked. :)

Feel free to ask questions and enjoy your stay!

03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I do have one question about the pic I posted above. How did I do on the face? That was not easy to do and I think I forgot something.

03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Yosh! Robofreak.. welcome!

Nice looking face on that Bell. The hair is rough, can tell in the picture. I suggest looking through the tutorial forum posts.. for just about all the useful beginning knowledge. Post some pictures of that bell when ya get a chance.

03-27-2009, 01:46 AM
THanks for the info. The hair definitely is rough. I won't deny that. Problem was since this was my first resin kit, I was afraid to do a lot of stuff. Knowing some of the stuff that I learned from this kit, I'll be a little more daring with the next.

I wish I took some pics of the dress before I primed it, you'd laugh if you saw what I did. The dress didn't fit right at all so I had to cut out a 3/4 by 2 inch area and completely rebuild the area of the dress. 3 kinds of putty and some superglue to fill in the small areas later I got something that was at least presentable. First time I ever really did a whole lot of resculpting.

I'll have it finished and posted next week. I need to go make a run to the store and pick up some more paint. First kit ever, that I haven't used paint straight from the bottle. Everything is custom mixed.:wacko: