View Full Version : questions about ordering from rainbow ten

04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I haven't had used any lacquers since 2003. You know the ones: delicious smelling, smooth-flowing, self-leveling paints that never seem to chip and are blended from the nectar of the gods themselves: I'm talking of course, about Mr Color.

Tamiya acrylics and Testors Acryls work OK but their rapid dry time can be a bit maddening especially when trying to handbrush little details or blowing paint into cracks creating blowback and stippled overspray.

I want to order from Rainbowten and need to know what to expect since I've never taken the plunge before:

- are items typically backordered?
- if so, what are the typical times between restocks?
- is it advisable to inquire about stock before ordering?
- I've also read the pros and cons of paypal vs credit card and their relation to stock status: what are your best practices and experiences?

04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Items that are listed are usually in stock. They let you you know if it item became recently out of stock when they send out the payment request. You can also ask them to back order the item,most of the time they restock fast unless it's a limited edition item(like some of Gaianotes colors).

Also, you should out Gaianotes and Finisher's lacquer paint too;)

04-10-2009, 05:57 PM
HLJ has been pretty good about getting me my lacquer paints pretty quickly.

04-10-2009, 11:48 PM
You do know that Hobbywave stocks them right? With the $10.00 shipping fee, you should be able to do pretty well if you order enough. Order limit is 50 though.

Hobbywave is based in Canada, but they have a US warehouse. It will take about a week for your paint to arrive.

04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
You do know that Hobbywave stocks them right?

Those are acrylics, which are easily identified by the "T" caps - I have access to a sufficient variety (http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=165) in Detroit. I seek contraband: Lacquer-based skull & crossbones.

04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
I did not know that. I don't have access to any of the Mr. Hobby products except for Surfacer which I only found recently. (Need to learn how to use it) I don't know too much about their paint lines and I'm actually surprised they don't have them in the site now that I know what they look like.

Only lacquers I use are Alclad, but only infrequently. I'd love to switch over to lacquers completely, but my cuurrent living arrangements forbid it.:cry:

Are the Mr. Hobby lacquers not allowed in US retail?

04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Yeah, EPA frowns seriously on them.. cause of their bad effects on the enviroment

I think my last order of paint got held up because of customs... And the EPA.

04-11-2009, 02:13 AM
That seems strange considering how you can get Alclad with little trouble and I'm sure that's more toxic than Mr. Hobby.

Enamels are pretty toxic so I'm surprised you can buy those without the hassle involved with Mr. Hobby.

I'm going to check with one of my friends in the paint industry. I'm going to see if he can get them into the US easier. He got me the Tamiya enamels so I'm sure he can get access to the lacquers. There's got to be a way that doesn't involve going through the nine rings of Hell.:hmm:

I don't believe in global warming so I don't think the long term effects of lacquers are as bad as the EPA says.

04-11-2009, 06:57 AM
This is unconfirmed, but it's not because it's a lacquer but instead is because of its lead content.

04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
This is unconfirmed, but it's not because it's a lacquer but instead is because of its lead content.

I'm going to ask the guy at my hobby shop next week when I go. He's got a ton of Mr. Hobby stuff, but no paint. He told me once that he can order the paints so I'll see if the lacquers are on their list of things he can get. If so, I'll let you know.

04-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Those are acrylics, which are easily identified by the "T" caps - I have access to a sufficient variety (http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=165) in Detroit. I seek contraband: Lacquer-based skull & crossbones.

wait I could have sworn those were the lacquer ones since that's what I got from R10...
they look exactly like this
(the flat black on the left and the clear red on the right)

and i thought GSI's line of acrylics was Aqueous Hobby Color which should look like this.

04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I would find it strange that through legal distribution channels only acrylics are available to the U.S. and that hobbywave displays the T-tops with the decription of "acrylic" on the main page. Knowing that michtoy gets GSI product via Dragon (legal distribution) the chances of these being lacquer are extremely low. But now I need to get a couple to make sure.

04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Yup, The T-caps are the lacquer colors. Gunze has change the bottles on some of the lacquers and they resemble the Mr. Hobby bottles now, so it's can be quite confusing:

04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, damnit. Michtoy seems to be closed today, or at least they're not answering the phone. It's easter, after all. I'll have to wait 'til thursday to discover the truth.

Doing more research, It's turning out I'm almost definitely wrong here, despite everything I was told about their availability. I just checked the catalog, and the color designations definitely aren't "H" coded... In fact I am hoping I am wrong and I don't need to order by mail.

If only our GSI expert wasn't MIA (Masa Inbetween Abodes)

to be concluded....

04-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I've been doing a bit of research and made a call to my friend in the hobby paint business, and I've got confirmation that the T caps are in fact lacquer.

You should be good to go by buying them locally.::thumb

04-16-2009, 01:56 PM
It's been a long three days. Work hours and store hours conflicted so I had to wait until my day off to solve this mystery. The fact this place is a mile away from my home made the wait that much harder.

So thank you to all the sharp-eyed commenters. Despite the supplementary english labeling and a verification from the shop owner (same story, acrylics only, can't get lacquers blah blah blah) these are indeed the old lacquer bottles and even a few new flat-top lacquer bottles are snugly tucked away in the rack.

I cracked one open and they have that sweet familiar lacquer smell, a smell that takes me back to 2003 when I was able to buy Gundam color sets from j-hobby.

So I bought a $*@#ton. Not a single letter "H" (catalog aqueous indicator) in sight.

04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
So, if its labeled as an Acrylic paint.. a solvent based one.. but.. smells like a lacquer.. I'm so confused...

Not that anyone in this are carries Mr. Color.

04-16-2009, 07:36 PM
So, if its labeled as an Acrylic paint.. a solvent based one.. but.. smells like a lacquer.. I'm so confused...

Well, thanks to Zakenna everything clicked:

Prior to moving to Detroit from DC I threw away approx 1/3 of my belongings including things I considered disposable/replaceable. Amongst those items were the Gunze acrylics aka aqueous hobby color I stocked from j-hobby (plajapan in the early days.) Not until Zakenna post the aqueous label did I remember their acrylics had a specifically different name than Mr. Color.

Mr. Color on the other hand is the one and only Mr. Color, just like everyone else in this thread have instructed me. The stickers you see on the backs of the bottles I've shown are wrong, and if GSI changed the formula, the EPA wouldn't have a problem.

(fyi Zakenna, your image link to heavyarmourstudio appears broken, or offsite hotlinking of images seems to be prohibited. Not until I tried to view the image manually did it show up on this page.)

04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
So, okay.. so Mr. Color.. No matter where its from is definately Lacquer.. Still doesn't do me any good, cause well.. No one stocks it here in the cleveland area.. but, that doesn't mean I can't get a company too stock it if I ask really nicely.. with my shotgun....

04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
heh yeah, I just goggled up a picture of Mr.color lacquer so I guess hotlinking isn't allowed. But yeah nothing beats the old smell test.

(funny the edit button isn't appearing next to my old post so I can't actually change it but you guys get the idea now about the bottles)

04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
It looks to me as if Somebody at GSI Is just replacing the label and assuming that no one will notice that the paints are solvent based. The reason solvent based Japanese paints are hard to get is that they should be shipped on the ground due to the possibility of the solvents emitting into an aircraft cabin with nasty results. I've had to do aircraft part testing and the FAA has had some bad experiences with solvents. The problem with the paints is that a seal at sea level may not be a seal at 8000 ft.