PDA

View Full Version : Pre painted figures! Gift or Curse?

Silas Loki
12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Peeps

In my ongoing quest to understand the landscape in this hobby of Garage Kits, I've come across a lot of Pre Painted and finished "models" from Japan.

These items always seem to be advertised alongside garage kits and by the same online sellers, which leads me to believe that the intended buyers are the same people who would purchase a "standard" garage kit.

I couldn't also help but notice that this site has a sub forum for pre painted figures.....with a unmistakeable "NEVER" by the side :)

So what is the deal with Pre Paints, are they generally shunned by the community? a guilty purchase that you never admit to or dare post pictures of?

I have to admit, some of them appear to be quite nice, the stuff from Yamato looks interesting.....and I must also admit, I indeed intend to purchase a few of the Premium Format figures from Sideshow Toys....but I'm still curious, is this a step too far outside the agreed hobby arena?

As a side note: I'm not seeking advice as to what I should or shouldn't buy, however, I also appreciate that whether we, as individuals, like it or not, there is a social conformity to follow when discussing hobbies with other enthusiasts, this is the side I'm most interested in, and the reasoning behind it.

As always, kind regards!
Silas

Joa
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, I am at a loss at what's not to understand .. ^^

A prepainted statue is a prepainted statue is a prepainted statue ..
If it is not released as a kit (and the paint job suxx) you buy it, strip it and paint it the way you want it.

"shunned by the community"? I don't get it.
The community as in "garage kit builders"?
We don't regularly buy already painted statues, because .. well, duh :P And see the above.

and yea, it's been a long day and it's way past midnite with regular work day tomorrow and I might have missed your point completely .. ^^

Dr.H
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Lol the big NEVER was because I actually just made this subforum yesterday :P.

Like Joa said some resin kits come prepainted and can be repainted by us while some come made out of PVC which can also be repainted if wanted.

The story on PVC is love/hate for me actually. The prepainted kits have been around a long time and have exploded over the last few years in the Anime community since the large majority of people want to buy Anime Figures but don't want to have to build one. Garage kits or having commissions are unknown to many.

I actually came into this hobby by first collection Yujin brand PVC and then saw many shows and books I liked didn't have figures for them or that the Garage Kits were much cooler so I started researching buying and building kits.

On the other hand PVC has also damaged the GK industry a bit in the last few years by tapping some of its best sculptors to start making garage kits that would be made into PVC. I wouldn't mind this so much because some really cool kits have been made but for the fact that they sometimes never make them into resin kits to sell and some sculptors have stopped selling resin all together because of the amount of money to be made in PVC.

As to why I started this section well.. PVC are not going anywhere ever if some of us don't buy or like them. I personally don't mind them as long as they don't destroy the gk industry which I doubt they will. They have their place as really cool collectibles that come with manga or anime movies and they might bring some new people into trying out building their own models.

If someone new comes along and sees our site and wants to post some of their model collection, they might decide to stay and try building or sculpting a resin kit and that could only be a good thing!

Shintocowboy
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Joa, he's talking from a collectors point of view, not of a builder. He's asking if we sometimes buy completed kits/ or just figures that are completed. Shunned by the community means do GK builders look down on people who don't build their own kits. Don't scare him off. It's nice to see a new face in here.

I for one have many figures myself. I have a couple from Good Smile and Kotobukiya.

Silas Loki
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, I am at a loss at what's not to understand .. ^^

A prepainted statue is a prepainted statue is a prepainted statue ..
If it is not released as a kit (and the paint job suxx) you buy it, strip it and paint it the way you want it.

"shunned by the community"? I don't get it.
The community as in "garage kit builders"?
We don't regularly buy already painted statues, because .. well, duh :P And see the above.

and yea, it's been a long day and it's way past midnite with regular work day tomorrow and I might have missed your point completely .. ^^

Partly I was confused by the sub-forum ( which has now been clarified ), but in addition to that, is the point in my original thread.....the sellers appear to be boxing the two items ( resin and ready painted PVC models ) together, which lead to my question about a possible divide in mind set.

@ Shintocowboy

You've explained my point as it was intended, thank you. As for being "scared" off.....well, without malice, I'll say I've seen it all before :) I guess this is the reason people "lurk" on forums for so long, they're generally affraid that their questions will somehow get them labelled in a negative light. Sometimes the "veterans" of the hobby need to remember that not everything is obvious to a newb, and although the almighty search function is good for some things, it isn't going to answer all your questions.

Zakenna
12-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't say that the same people who buy pre-painted PVCs buy GKs. It really comes down to if the fan wants to build something or if the fan just wants to collect something. Some PVCs actually are cheaper than their GK counterparts and come painted so to some people that's a plus. On the downside you don't get to have any of the fun of making it yourself and they usually leave a few flaws to cut corners in mass production.

In the end you just have a figure that you put on display. As Dr.H mentioned Yes, some of the PVC manufacturers are hiring a bunch of sculptors to make PVC exclusive sculpts and even some sculptors have stopped making GKs all together. But I honestly don't think anybody really shunns buying pre-painted PVCs. But that's just how I feel, considering I started off buying pre-painted PVCs first then went into GKs (I even bought all the 1/4 Haruhi Bunny girls) Heck the blog I write for is called Polyvinyl Crush (get it? PVC?) where we show off figures and talk about upcomming releases. I just happen to build GKs and post about my progress on there once in a while.