PDA

View Full Version : hi there.

redboi
03-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Hello,

i'm extremely new to the modeling/sculpting world. ive only attempted a head once, and i did it all wrong [although it doesnt look as bad as it should], so i started researching how to do GK the right way and stumbled upon this site, which im very happy about. its such a fountain of knowledge, so ill be sure to read as many threads as possible. anyways, im an illustrator/student and i have... no knowledge as to how to make a figure, but ill try hard anyways. :] its fun, and i think thats all that matters. i do have one question though, if anybody knows,

i was using sculpey, and bulking up a figure was difficult because when i boiled it, curls fell off the head, so i researched some videos and came across this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8SOxhAloM&feature=PlayList&p=72F1648AC68F3372&index=21
at the time 1:47 and past that.

my question is the putty being placed on top of the silicone, what exactly is it? is it in fact putty, or..something else. unfortunately i do not speak japanese, but if anyone knows visually, or actually understands it, itd be awesome if they could let me know. n.n;; sorry if that question didnt belong there... im not positive.:p

secretasianman
03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Judging by the mixing and the application, It looks like a polyester putty

(adequate ventilation cannot be stressed enough!!!!) :dizzy:

Shintocowboy
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Hmmm....I watched that video when I first started. That got me into using Bondo auto-repair materials to make my scratch build. It's pretty toxic stuff and not to easy to work with.

As for the stuff on the tape, its expensive, and they offer materials that do the same thing but are much cheaper.

If you are using Sculpy, this link will be of help.
http://scat.80code.com/kat/ciela/efigure.htm

Masa
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Like Secret mentioned - it's polyester putty. The basic figure frame was "cast" in a silicone rubber mold (I'm guessing this is where you got the silicone question from?), but the material is all poly putty.

After he cuts apart the basic frame, he adds more poly putty to cover the joints and build up the flesh of the figure. Carve, add putty, carve, add more putty, repeat.

It's a very different kind of scultping, and doesn't really transfer over well to the sculpey type polymer clays.

You mentioned boiling your sculpey - any particular reason for this? Like are you making additions/changes to a plastic action figure or is your frame something that might melt in an oven?

secretasianman
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
oh, and welcome to the forums! :hi:

redboi
03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
@secretasianman: thank you for clarifying that, i just was curious as to what it was, i wouldnt be getting that, as i am still deciding as to which substance is best to sculpt with/carve, both methods seem fine to me, but i just wanted to keep it an option. :] anyway thank you. oh and thanks for the welcome too. :D

@Shintocowboy: thank you too, yeah i saw that tutorial earlier on, i totally forgot about it though, but it seems to really make beautiful figures/bodies. ill definitely keep looking for different products, since its really toxic and i dont usually air out my house.

@masa: so doing it in the bake and carve way isnt very good for polymer clays? uh i was just boiling my sculpey because ive been afraid of the pieces cracking or falling off more with traditional baking. it seemed to work fine, but it was difficult to add on pieces once it was baked. i made the face shape, baked it.sanded in between each time i added something. did the shoulders and neck, baked it again... then did the hair and baked it again. i guess i was looking for something that adhered to itself better than sculpey does once its baked/cured. and it doesnt carve that well. i mean, it isnt terrible [but i guess i dont know exactly what terrible IS for gk carving/sculpt] but it wasnt easy or perfect looking. anyway, thank you very much for your input, you are all really helpful.

devone23
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Have you tried paper clay? La Doll is a popular brand among some anime figure sculptors. Paper clay air-dries, sands well, and is easy to add on to because it attaches to itself when wet. I used it for my first figure and it was pretty easy to work with.

The only thing is, it doesn't take too much detail so it might need more sanding or other work after it dries. When dried, it is SUPER light and SUPER hard, and pretty much doesn't break so it's much better for preserving the sculpture than sculpey. Good luck.

Masa
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
@masa: so doing it in the bake and carve way isnt very good for polymer clays? uh i was just boiling my sculpey because ive been afraid of the pieces cracking or falling off more with traditional baking. it seemed to work fine, but it was difficult to add on pieces once it was baked. i made the face shape, baked it.sanded in between each time i added something. did the shoulders and neck, baked it again... then did the hair and baked it again. i guess i was looking for something that adhered to itself better than sculpey does once its baked/cured. and it doesnt carve that well. i mean, it isnt terrible [but i guess i dont know exactly what terrible IS for gk carving/sculpt] but it wasnt easy or perfect looking. anyway, thank you very much for your input, you are all really helpful.

No, I was just curious. Usually when I hear of people boiling sculpey - they are trying to keep something from melting. I've always baked sculpey and never had any problems with it. If you cover the figure with some aluminum foil (loosely) - it helps to avoid cracks. Whenever you apply new sculpey on top of cured sculpey - use a dab of CA glue to keep the part from falling off.

The kind of clay you use depends a lot on your method. If you want to carve/scrape a figure, then harder polyester clays, epoxy clays, paper clays tend to work better. If you want to sculpt/manipulate a figure, then polymer clays work really well.

redboi
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
thank you so much for all the input, ive been looking at supplies online and i think ill try a few out that you guys seem to talk about. i will definitely take all your advice into consideration. thank you for offering it up .:D much appreciated.

Tsunamidelta
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM
A little late to the game on this one..

But Welcome to the forum!

Please enjoy the Macaroons! (Its lent gotta give the Animals a break once in a while ^_^)

redboi
03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
thank you. and yes it is lent. :D those lucky animals.