View Full Version : Hi all. Just started sculpting anime figures.

03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone. I've been browsing around these forums and noticed that maybe I can share my successes (and failures...actually mainly failures) in this hobby.

I've started sculpting anime figures a few months ago, and had a lot of trouble finding a good starting point. It is even harder to find like-minded individuals to shoot ideas with, so I'm really glad I found you guys. I'm not really a garage kitter since I've never tried to assemble a garage kit, but there seems to be a lot of technical and artistic overlap between assembling kits and making your own figures.

To me, the lure of anime figurines is how they give life (and another dimension) to the 2D characters in animes and video games. The good ones carry all the subtle nuances that instill personality into an otherwise inanimate figure. When one is standing on your desktop, in a pose that fits it perfectly, its like having an old friend by your side. Every time you look at it, you're reminded of the great stories and moments of the anime. Or in less crazy words, they're freakin' cool.

Anyway, I hope to be active here as long as I am interested in this hobby. Thanks, yoroshiku!

09-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi ! Also new here, i have sculpted a number of fantasy figures (hopefully i will post them sometime) almost exclusively warhammer skaven, some at a larger scale than the usual wargaming 25mm. I can tell you that scratch building is by no means an easy task. You should first try your hand at converting a commercial kit. As you accumulate experience you can try more difficult and complex tasks. Read some books or articles about human anatomy, sculpting tools and mediums and...good luck!