PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get back into the hobby

mihochan
05-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello,
I know I have been gone for a while. I was looking in my closet the other day and looking at all the unfinished kits. I really need to start building again. I moved about 4 years ago to a small apartment. When that happened it put my kit building to a halt. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on how to set up kit building in a small apartment? I can't help but feel I'm missing the obvious. Should I go back to hand brushing over trying to setting up my old air brushing equipment? Any ideas are welcomed.

Tsunamidelta
05-01-2010, 01:10 PM
When I lived in my apartment , I had windows that opened.. some apartments I know don't have that option.. I just put my desk by the window and used a fan to blow the airbrush fumes out it. ^^; wasn't the best rememdy.. but it worked ish ^^;

The other thing I did was I put down those plastic carpet protectors under the desk so that way if I did spill paint accidently it kept it off the carpet.

Zakenna
05-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd try to get a small airbrush setup going if you already have the air brush equipment. I currently live with my grandparents so I don't have a lot of space but I've secured a small area where I can have my spray booth and I just toss the hose out the window. Worse comes to worse you make your spray booth your work desk too but that severely limits your multi tasking. My work desk is a fold away table. that way you don't have a hobby desk just sitting there the entire time un-used. The problem I have though is finding a way to organize your tools and paints with out getting them lost.

Kumama
05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I can't help much with the airbrush thing, as I was unable to do it when I was in an apartment, I mostly hand brushed. I just had a dedicated work table and a lot of drawers and boxes for storage.. some wire shelves mounted above the desk worked wonders. It was really cramped but worked ok for me.

secretasianman
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Check out for the GSI Mr Super Booth from hobbywave

http://hobbywave.com/modeling_supplies/paint-booth-dry-booth/super-booth.html

After covering my old condo in dust I cannot stress enough the world of difference this makes when spraying in small spaces. I believe Masa uses the same setup.