PDA

View Full Version : Custom mold-making services...anyone tried it?

devone23
05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey all,

I was looking around the web and realized that there are companies out there that will make custom molds or resin casts of whatever you give them. Has anybody ever tried one of these services?

I just wonder whether they are more cost effective, because I've spent a lot of time and money trying to make good molds and failing. And the costs seem to come out of nowhere..I mean..Legos for mold boxes? I don't have kids but now I gotta buy Legos...

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Shintocowboy
05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
But I still like Legos... :abandoned:

Personally though, if I ever get to that stage I think I would still make the casts myself. There is something about seeing your creation through all phases of processing that is just so darn satisfying.

devone23
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah that is a great point. But I also kind of wish I could spend my time not making molds, but making sculptures :donotwant:. Well, molds can be fun.

Masa
05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
You need to remember that making molds will also help you be a better sculptor. There is a lot of information to be gained from the casting process and that shouldn't be skipped. Good mold layouts are almost an art form themselves and knowing how the resin flows through the mold will help you in the sculpting stage. You'll notice problem areas that you can correct early on before you even get to the casting stage.