View Full Version : Entirely unrelated to GK (home renovation)

07-22-2010, 10:07 PM
After five years of search and multiple rejected offers, I am in a home. :evillaugh:

Built in the 80's, the house needs some repairs, updating, a new roof, termite fumigation, and exterior paint (it was a short sale, so it has been neglected.)

Roof - city no longer issues permits for wood shingle. Not sure if the structure can support terracotta tiles (I am located in California, so we don't get a speckle of snow here.) Contractor is pushing "light" concrete tiles, but I am not so sure; despite it being 40% lighter than terracotta tiles, it's still 200% heavier than wood shingles, and they want about 15k... :oy:

The thought of putting on asphalt shingles felt wrong, but the weight consideration might not leave me much choices. There doesn't seem to be many metal roof installer in the area, and I can't find anybody that deal in synthetic roofing tiles (but davinci roofscapes synthetics looks nice.)

Interior - Undecided if I should replace the carpet with bamboo, hardwood, laminate, or (stone? ceramic?) tiles.

And as always, money is tight. (anyone want to buy my kits? :please:)

07-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Asphalt shingles aren't that bad.. but I live in a snow region so.. I guess I'm just used to em.

Congrats on getting into a place that you can officially call all yours!

07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Big congrats! It's great owning your own place. Even greater when you got kids to mess it up :facepalm

07-27-2010, 12:34 AM
There's this 12' (yes, that's feet) trampoline in the back yard I don't know what to do with...