PDA

View Full Version : Info for a keynote

KrokoHunter
10-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Greetings

Next Saturday I'm going to a big danish modeling convention/contest, where I've been asked to make a keynote about SciFi- and Fantasy-modeling.

I plan to cover areas such as, Studio Scale Modeling, Garage Kits and Figure-modeling.

I plan to show some clips from the "BOME-video", to show the guys (and perhaps 1-2 girls) how a sculptor works. For this I'd love some info. It might be mentioned in the vid, but my japanese ain't that great yet.

1. Do you know how many kits BOME produces per year (approx)
2. Does anybody know what a typical figure sculptor earns?

Finally a question about WonFest, since I'm also gonna cover that.

3. Is the WonFest booths also being taken over by PVC's and prepaints? if so ... does anybody have a PVC to GK ratio?

Thanks in advance

Masa
10-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Such a small order... lol

Industry talk is... well... industry talk... so you never get to hear any definite answers. I know people who have met and spoken with Bome... but I doubt they asked him how much money he makes a year :)

1. Approximately one kit every 3 months is the average. Most sculptors only make 2-3 kits a year.

2. There aren't a whole lot of sculptors that do it full time. Even the few larger companies like Kaiyodo that have full time sculptors only have two or three sculptors on staff with some assistants and outsourcing to pick up the relief when busy. A typical full time sculptor will make less money than working the cash register at a convenience store. Approximately $18,000 a year would be a rough estimate. You do hear stories of larger toy makers paying individual sculptors up to $5000 for a 1/8 scale sculpt, but this is definitely not the norm. If the company buys your sculpt for production (pvc/prepaint/coldcast) you would normally see $2500 - $5000 for a 1/8 scale figure, and $3000 - $5500 for a 1/6 scale sculpt. Of course this would be higher if the sculpt was an original character designed by the sculptor.

3. I haven't been to a WF event in ages... so I can't say what kind of ratio it would be.

devone23
11-07-2010, 11:39 AM
A typical full time sculptor will make less money than working the cash register at a convenience store.
:dotdotdot::dotdotdot::dotdotdot: