PDA

View Full Version : uk stores help

hybridbreed
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi,
Im new to the site and garage kits and would like to say the info that i am getting from the site is a big help as i have never tryed this before but always wanted too.
the kits i really want to make are of my fav game Monster hunter and theres a nice lot of them out there .
now down to the question, i have looked online and im having some problems finding uk stores that sell some of the items i need such as putty (tamiya gray & white) and paints (mr. Color), i got most of the stuff from hobbycraft so if anyone has some websites that can help me out please do. Thanks again

posted this in tutorials was a mistake >.< sorry please delete it

devone23
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I don't know any UK-based hobby shops that sell Japanese hobby products. However, I'd just like to put it out there that maybe you shouldn't get caught up in the Tamiya hype, especially if nobody near you sells it. Shipping from Japan gets expensive real quick.

Aside from a very few products that I haven't been able to substitute, I find that Western alternatives that you can find in art stores work almost as well and are much, much cheaper when factoring in shipping. (Eg. Vallejo Model Color, Golden Fluid Acrylics or Daler Rowney FW inks instead of Mr. Color, Army Painter instead of Tamiya primers, Milliput instead of Tamiya putty). With these substitutes, you can get great results without being limited by the quality of the paints, primers, & putty.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Masa
02-09-2011, 03:36 AM
And don't forget Humbrol enamels... my kingdom for some Humbrol... lol

KrokoHunter
02-12-2011, 05:13 AM
And don't forget Humbrol enamels... my kingdom for some Humbrol... lol

LOL .. my feelings towards Humbrol enamel paints are somewhat opposite .... I HATE that stuff ... never could get it to work properly .. just like their putty ... I switched to the Revell Air series of enamels ... and 5-6 years ago I switched completely to Lifecolor and Vellejo AIR acrylics.

But Humbrol ... nooooo ..... but does that mean, that I get your Kingdom if I send you some Humbrol paints??? .. and what exactly is your Kingdom ?? ;-)

Tsunamidelta
02-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Ya know Kroko.. you don't want Masa's Kingdom.. He gives his kids with it.

And on Humbrol paints, I'm split.. for Plastic model kits, I love them! for Garage kits.. they aren't usually in the right colors.. but on Plastic.. Oooooo baby!!! they are awesome.

Masa
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
There are certain colors that Humbrol makes that just can't be reproduced IMO. You can get close, but still no cigar. They must have elves weaving spells in the factory or something. Love the Vallejo stuff too - but just too expensive on this of the planet. Grass is always greener and stuff like that :P

This thread has taken a wide detour - but to the original post, you might want to try and hunt down a model railroad or military model shop in your area and ask there - those guys should have the skinny on what to get and where.

KrokoHunter
02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
http://www.hannants.co.uk/ might be worth a try

hybridbreed
02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info guys it helped alot! :smile: