PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the board all the sudden?

Xelizarios-Prime
03-13-2011, 01:09 AM
:barf: <-- I think this icon is really funny! :-)

Hey what happened to the board? Seems dead all the sudden. (no icon for "oh, noes!" darn!)

I just wanted to say I know I haven't been here long but I've really enjoyed the conversations so far and I know I've had a lot of questions. I've been drawing for years and the prospect of figure sculpting, modification, and even casting is opening a whole new creative world for me. And I've been looking for a board like this for a long time. I've really liked the information and discussion so far. Looking forward to some more conversation. Sorry, I'm just a bit anxious. Not trying to complain at all. In fact I just wanted to thank everyone who has answered my questions and so forth and I've really enjoyed to conversations on here so far. :-)

Just want you to know I really like this board so far. And I've also started a forum on my own website. Anyone here is welcome to join. Yet another place to "kick it" and talk about the fun stuff! :-)

I hope to finally be set up to start sculpting next week so I hope to share some of what I do on here.

Other than that, just kickin' it!

Peace! God bless! :-)

BTW- I painted this catgirl figure recently! Still got a few minor touches to make but I've been able to use the advice people have given on here so thank you again! It's really cool to have found this board. :-)

vilmaxiii
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
yea i kinda stoped comeing hear,, i grew tired of posting and getting no replys but a dozon views. i think you and i are the only ones that realy post,, meh things happen this is a cool site if the only kits you use or can talk about are orig's <no recasts> cause i guess recast's are devils work< ima deamon apperently> lololol

i sent u a pm on ware to find me else ware i hope to see you around!!!

Xelizarios-Prime
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
yea i kinda stoped comeing hear,, i grew tired of posting and getting no replys but a dozon views. i think you and i are the only ones that realy post,, meh things happen this is a cool site if the only kits you use or can talk about are orig's <no recasts> cause i guess recast's are devils work< ima deamon apperently> lololol

i sent u a pm on ware to find me else ware i hope to see you around!!!

Sounds good! Will do that. I like this board so far, I just wish it was a little "busier" but people have been very helpful so far and I'm very appreciative of that. I just wish there was more activity. :-)

ryukumon
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
I know I stopped coming for a very long time due to life crap happening but I'm hoping to get back more into the swing of things now that a lot has lightened up.

Dr.H
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
The forum use to be hoppin but a mixture of peoples lives changing, the economy going to hell and a large portion of the base dieing off due to the switch from resin kits over to pvc prepaints in Japan took a big hit out of hobby all together.

I know when I had money and time to spare I was here all the time but since both have gone out the window for me, my hobbies take the hit first. I guess that's how it's suppose to be.
I have been trying to be more active though and do some updating to the site lately as I get the time.

Not sure what vilmaxiii is talking about when it comes to recasts though since it's perfectly fine to build and show whatever kits you want here.

Xelizarios-Prime
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
The forum use to be hoppin but a mixture of peoples lives changing, the economy going to hell and a large portion of the base dieing off due to the switch from resin kits over to pvc prepaints in Japan took a big hit out of hobby all together.

I know when I had money and time to spare I was here all the time but since both have gone out the window for me, my hobbies take the hit first. I guess that's how it's suppose to be.
I have been trying to be more active though and do some updating to the site lately as I get the time.

Not sure what vilmaxiii is talking about when it comes to recasts though since it's perfectly fine to build and show whatever kits you want here.

I was wondering if I "came to the party too late!" lol! But I have been told GKs are dying. What gets me is they started (as far as I know) from an underground cult fan base. It seems it is returning to that -- it is that fan base that will keep it alive. But things come and go in cycles too. Hard to say.

Like being an anime fan here in America - it sucks right now. All that comes over here anymore are stuff for girls, and it's usually (almost always anymore) a school setting with kids in sailor outfits (do people really wear those in Japan? And anymore it's stuff to do with witches or nurses or stuff like that. I loved anime like Hyper Police and Outlaw Star because it was different but you can't get stuff that is innovative like that anymore. The .hack// thing is probably one of the best series to come out most recently- at least to me. I figure that's the Anime answer to "The Matrix" -- at least in terms of having a story tied together through games and anime series you have to buy to get the whole story.

If you live here in America- all you can get is Naruto, Death Note, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, and stuff like that. And none of that stuff (more power to you if you like them) appeals to me at all. If people like those that's fine - people can like whatever they want but those Anime do not appeal to me at all. What happened to something called OVAs? Dragon Half, Bounty Dog, Bastard, Moldiver, Golden Boy, Ninja Scroll, the very FIRST Ghost in the Shell? Vampire Hunter D, - some of these are the best OVAs ever released in my mind.

I'm not the kind of guy who runs out and gets everything just because it's "Anime" - I gotta like the art and it has to have an interesting plot line. I've pretty much given up on Anime -- I got my stuff that I like but I figure unless you're an American with US Military friends stationed in Japan who are fans and "have connections" getting the "good stuff" is very hard to do... if there any good stuff anymore. People will cite using bit torrent but the people who use those often use these weird file types like .mkv or something like that. Not .avi or .mpg or something ANYONE can use. So I gave up on that too.

I know there is more important things going on in Japan right now with the crisis, Anime and Hobbies are the least of the concern right now. But given the situation about Anime I just figure to concentrate on making my own stuff anymore. I think things like that are what will keep a hobby alive. It's like movies in America anymore; most movies are remakes these days. I usually end up preferring the originals. The new Tron and new Narnia movies in my mind have been the best releases in recent years. I also enjoyed Lord of the Rings and I'll be interested to see when The Hobbit comes out (though I don't get why they are allegedly making TWO movies from that - it's one book!).

Anyways sorry about the rant- just seems to me creativity is dying across the board. It's like we're in a new Dark Ages or something, I swear! The GKs are dying and here I am trying to get into the hobby- well figure sculpting with clay right now and see where it goes from there. I've been exploring other sculpting mediums but I have a lot to learn. Still- I eventually want to get into GKs and casting those too- modifying, etc.

BTW - if you know a good place to find Anime OVAs of the calibur I mentioned, I would appreciate that also . :-)

Peace!

Tsunamidelta
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
This forum goes in spurts.. gotta bear in mind.. most of us are older working adults.. so Life and lack of finances gets in the way of hobbies. And honestly, unfortunately, life and its many oddities can get in the way of doing the hobby, sadly.

No worries, just sit on back and relax.. you'll see as things ebb and flow.. we're still an active place, but its just on a different time scale.

Xelizarios-Prime
03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
This forum goes in spurts.. gotta bear in mind.. most of us are older working adults.. so Life and lack of finances gets in the way of hobbies. And honestly, unfortunately, life and its many oddities can get in the way of doing the hobby, sadly.

No worries, just sit on back and relax.. you'll see as things ebb and flow.. we're still an active place, but its just on a different time scale.

" most of us are older working adults."

How old may I ask? I guess I'm wondering if I'm the only 30-something here? Am I the "old man" here? lol!
("old man" = the oldest guy here)

No I was wondering- just with the talk of how GKs and the hobby has been dropping off- was wondering if the board was going the same way - like "did I crash the party too late?" lol!

But it's cool. I know what you mean about time and especially money. It's why I'm starting small - what can I make out of clay? How can I learn to modify my existing figures, or some of them, etc.

Like I said- was wondering if I "crashed the party too late". lol!

Cheers! :-)

Tsunamidelta
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
" most of us are older working adults."

How old may I ask? I guess I'm wondering if I'm the only 30-something here? Am I the "old man" here? lol!
("old man" = the oldest guy here)

No I was wondering- just with the talk of how GKs and the hobby has been dropping off- was wondering if the board was going the same way - like "did I crash the party too late?" lol!

But it's cool. I know what you mean about time and especially money. It's why I'm starting small - what can I make out of clay? How can I learn to modify my existing figures, or some of them, etc.

Like I said- was wondering if I "crashed the party too late". lol!

Cheers! :-)

Well myself I'm in my 30's... and more then a few of the members are older then me.. by amounts.. that shall remain for them to admit.. not me to admit ^_^

But, no your not crashing the party too late.. there are still Gk's being made.. so until the last GK is made.. the party isn't over.

Masa
03-24-2011, 05:10 AM
We have a fairly wide range of folks here. Everyone from working professionals to soccer moms. 30 isn't anywhere close to being the "old man" here so don't fret :)

This has always been a fairly expensive hobby (just like photography or r/c helicopters ) but time is really lacking these days for a lot of our members.

Work and family take priority over any hobby activities and I even had to put my band on hiatus until I can catch up on my work and free up my schedule a bit.

We always wanted this forum to be a place you could feel comfortable just hanging out and not having to worry about "producing" something all the time.

We enjoy meeting new friends and seeing new works of art. You might have to search back a bit... but we like to share our works too :)

Xelizarios-Prime
03-29-2011, 12:04 AM
We have a fairly wide range of folks here. Everyone from working professionals to soccer moms. 30 isn't anywhere close to being the "old man" here so don't fret :)

This has always been a fairly expensive hobby (just like photography or r/c helicopters ) but time is really lacking these days for a lot of our members.

Work and family take priority over any hobby activities and I even had to put my band on hiatus until I can catch up on my work and free up my schedule a bit.

We always wanted this forum to be a place you could feel comfortable just hanging out and not having to worry about "producing" something all the time.

We enjoy meeting new friends and seeing new works of art. You might have to search back a bit... but we like to share our works too :)

I dunno man, I'm closer to 40 than 30 anymore! lol! People might ask why I'm into figures and anime art and clay but hey, it's cheaper than a sports car! lol! :-)

Sounds like my kind of forum. I figure this one is definitely a "keeper". But it's really cool when you can meet other people who are "peers" who are into the same things. :)

Shintocowboy
04-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I haven't been on much since I graduated and started working for a Japanese export firm. I try to hop on when I cAn though. Finally have a smart phone so I can access sites easier.

Xelizarios-Prime
04-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I haven't been on much since I graduated and started working for a Japanese export firm. I try to hop on when I cAn though. Finally have a smart phone so I can access sites easier.

I know what you mean. The last 2 weeks for me have been absolutely crazy. Been sick with the flu, work and school. My current term at school has finally finished. I have a week off to relax before next term's classes begin. Introduction to .NET Programming (Visual Basic), Business Law I, etc. fun! fun! fun! Trying to get this silly sofrware to run on Virtual PC. I may break down and buy a Window's laptop one of these days as much as I dread the idea. But yeah, it's crazy.

BTW -- I am so tempted to color your avatar! And uh... why is she biting whoever's finger? lol! :-)

One more question- for you guys and gals who live in Japan. I try to be open minded to other cultures and learn about them etc. I find many of them fascinating and interesting. I differ from many Americans because I find America to be very closed minded to other cultures, etc. I have spent the last 10-15 years trying to "de-Americanize" my thinking. Not be anti-America, just be open to other cultures and different ways of life even if I don't agree with them or live them.

But it never fails- I run tnto anime that makes sense, etc. But then I run into stuff where I am asking myself if someone was smoking marijuana or drinking too much beer (or saki) or something before they came up with their ideas. (I think that about a lot of American stuff too, don't worry! ESPECIALLY a lot of American stuff! lol!)

Like the one anime where they always show the girl with one eye green and the other red -- is there some kind of mythology behind this or did someone drop acid or something or what?

Also the one character I always seee- a blond girl with sticking coming out of her back with things that resemble colored crystals or Christmas tree lights?

Not to put down anyone's taste, if you like that, more power to you -- I am just wondering about. I'm seeing more and more of this thing of people drawing 2 different eye color on the same character now. lol!

These are popular lately and I'm going "WTF?" "nan-da?" lol!

("nan-da?!" means "what the f**k?" - or can mean that, doesn't it?)

Anyways, sorry about the last question here but I'm just wondering what's up with those characters, etc.

Thanks! :-)
Xel

Shintocowboy
04-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I know what you mean. The last 2 weeks for me have been absolutely crazy. Been sick with the flu, work and school. My current term at school has finally finished. I have a week off to relax before next term's classes begin. Introduction to .NET Programming (Visual Basic), Business Law I, etc. fun! fun! fun! Trying to get this silly sofrware to run on Virtual PC. I may break down and buy a Window's laptop one of these days as much as I dread the idea. But yeah, it's crazy.

BTW -- I am so tempted to color your avatar! And uh... why is she biting whoever's finger? lol! :-)

One more question- for you guys and gals who live in Japan. I try to be open minded to other cultures and learn about them etc. I find many of them fascinating and interesting. I differ from many Americans because I find America to be very closed minded to other cultures, etc. I have spent the last 10-15 years trying to "de-Americanize" my thinking. Not be anti-America, just be open to other cultures and different ways of life even if I don't agree with them or live them.

But it never fails- I run tnto anime that makes sense, etc. But then I run into stuff where I am asking myself if someone was smoking marijuana or drinking too much beer (or saki) or something before they came up with their ideas. (I think that about a lot of American stuff too, don't worry! ESPECIALLY a lot of American stuff! lol!)

Like the one anime where they always show the girl with one eye green and the other red -- is there some kind of mythology behind this or did someone drop acid or something or what?

Also the one character I always seee- a blond girl with sticking coming out of her back with things that resemble colored crystals or Christmas tree lights?

Not to put down anyone's taste, if you like that, more power to you -- I am just wondering about. I'm seeing more and more of this thing of people drawing 2 different eye color on the same character now. lol!

These are popular lately and I'm going "WTF?" "nan-da?" lol!

("nan-da?!" means "what the f**k?" - or can mean that, doesn't it?)

Anyways, sorry about the last question here but I'm just wondering what's up with those characters, etc.

Thanks! :-)
Xel

The girl you look for is Flandre Scarlet from a computer series, Project Touhou.
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t343/Zeldadudeman/279bd06d863f847db563ec619d056bfb-1.png

The girl in my picture is a chibi version of Yuyuko Saigyougi, another character from Touhou. I actually have a doll I did the face-up for (makeup) and clothing. Maybe I should have her introduce herself here some day...

How do you like programming? I have recently started teaching it to myself and plan on releasing my first iPhone app next month.

The eye color is a condition called Heterochromia. Whether or not there is more symbolism in Japanese, I unfortunately do not know the answer, though for the most part, in anime is something seems odd, there usually is a cultural reference at its origin.

Masa
04-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I think it's more artistic freedom than anything else. With the sheer number of characters out there, anything you can do to distinguish your character from the next is a big plus. The artists are just running out of different things to do. Colored hair worked for a long while, costumes, speech patterns, attitudes... color of eyes might just be the "in" thing for the moment?

Before anime came about, all manga was black and white and the artists didn't have to worry about things like color of eyes :)

Culturally, we'd probably be grasping at straws here... but maybe by having a protagonist with heterochromia, you identify the character as having to overcome some obstacle like prejudice or being "mysterious" and/or having some kind of otherworldly power. Being different makes them somewhat exclusive and more memorable to the reader.

robofreak
04-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I'm agreeing with Masa here. It's all about Artistic freedom. Yuna from FFX stands out more because of her 2 different eyes than other FF characters. Just an example though.

Bayonetta took a unique swing by utilizing glasses to stand out. It's all about what you can do to make a truly unique character.

Which this is reminding me that I need to figure out how on earth I'm going to get my hands on a 1/4 Saber Lily. I've seen pics, but I got to find a way to get it besides the recast that I've seen floating around. (Believe me, the temptation it too much to bear with a kit that beautiful)

I'll be posting pics of my WIP on a Belldandy tomorrow. I think it will be good to post something after a long hiatus. (This kit has been driving me nuts by the way due to improper molding and parts that don't fit right. I've had to bore out the pegs and completely rebuild and extend areas with Apoxy Sculpt)

Xelizarios-Prime
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I think it's more artistic freedom than anything else. With the sheer number of characters out there, anything you can do to distinguish your character from the next is a big plus. The artists are just running out of different things to do. Colored hair worked for a long while, costumes, speech patterns, attitudes... color of eyes might just be the "in" thing for the moment?

Before anime came about, all manga was black and white and the artists didn't have to worry about things like color of eyes :)

Culturally, we'd probably be grasping at straws here... but maybe by having a protagonist with heterochromia, you identify the character as having to overcome some obstacle like prejudice or being "mysterious" and/or having some kind of otherworldly power. Being different makes them somewhat exclusive and more memorable to the reader.

You're probably right. No, I was just thinking if there was some aspect of Japanese Mythology or Culture or something these are based on or something like that.

Example: I have the old "Outlanders" mangas (Johji Manabe) - some of my favorite characters died in the story. Gailbaldi and Battia were among them -- Battia being one of my faves! You know, sexy black-haired gal with cat ears! lol! But they just HAD to go and kill her! (bastards! lol!)

Well after many people die, the earth gets blowed up REAL GOOD, and etc. of course the story ends. But the EPILOGUE has Kahm talking to many of the people who died in the story and of course Gailbaldi and Battia are among them. But they tell Kahm they only had one day. I didn't quite get how Kahm could be talking to them in the first place. But then a friend of mine told me about the Japanese custom of Obone... Obone something. I can't remember what it's called. But it's the festival of the dead, people wear kimonos and put those lanterns on the water, etc. and I guess they are supposedly able to talk to their dead relatives, etc. for a few days? Something like that. But he explained to me that this is what that was based on on and why Kahm could talk to the people who died in the story.

I also enjoyed the Lodoss War series but felt the artists involved did not get a real good grasp of Western Fantasy. Not sure if they were trying to? Yet they used a lot of that kind of imagery, but in terms of concept to me it left something to be desired. It would be like me trying to do an Obone story- it would not translate well because I do not know the custom well enough, and even if I had all the head knowledge, I still did not grow up with it where it is part of who I am. I may have the head knowledge where I can have all the painstaking detail, but I could not portray the "feeling" since it is not "fused into my soul" so to speak - you know what I mean? I feel I would do a disservice to people who did grow up with it if I tried to portray it. So in my own story writing I infuse into it what I did grow up with -- my characters believe in a "Creator God" (the God of the Bible) for example - because that is how I grew up. I think people put a little of themselves into their creations! :-)

So I decided it would be best to try and learn the mythology behind anime I like, etc so I can understand and appreciate it much better. Even if I don't believe in the custom, still try to respect it, etc. Just that some stuff I see lately kind of "trips me out" a bit.

In the case of the characters I mentioned that's what I was wondering- is there some cultural thing or is it just "funky characters"? Another one that trips me out-- this girl with flat blue tape-like ribbon hair with arrows at the end? I'm like... uhhh... OK? lol! So is she a space alien or something? She could use her hair to carry her books or something!

Anyways, sorry about the rant. Hope you don't mind a little "soul discussion" lol! :-)

But you also make a good point- I'm getting the sense Japanese animators are running out of original ideas because a lot of anime I see lately seems to be the same old themes over and over again. If I see one more anime with sailor uniforms in a school setting I'm going to vomit! (Sorry, I hated school growing up! lol!)

But then so is Hollywood here in America-- it's why we're getting nothing but remakes and comic book movies anymore. :-(

Well... what can ya do? That's why I had to get me some hobbies like sculpting or something and forget about what the movie makers and animators are doing. I also want to buy a guitar and learn REAL "Guitar Hero!" lol! Hey! like the song says "It's all part of my rock and roll fantasy!" (come on, ya gotta love that song!)

Meanwhile, I would love to get a figure of Battia! I may just have to do that if I ever figure out how to sculpt right! lol! :D