PDA

View Full Version : Need more software to try out for my Wacom Intuos4

telemarq
03-26-2011, 07:00 AM
It arrived by FedEx Wednesday and I will finally get to start playing around with it this weekend. I got Corel Painter 11 with it, but I want to try out different software. I read somewhere that Paint Tool SAI is popular with manga and anime artists. Does anyone have experience with SAI? Pros or Cons?

I've used Corel Paintshop Pro Photo XI for several years for touch-up, cropping, color correction, etc. Not really that good for creating, but an OK program. It was more that just occasionally unstable on both my WinXP desk and laptop, but runs fine on my latest homebuilt desktop running Win7 Pro 64bit.

As free downloads from Corel, I was also able to get Photoshop Elements 9 and other software with the Wacom. I actually bought it through Corel because of the price with Painter. The extra $100+ free software was nice. Now I just need to find what else I can be comfortable working with. All suggestions and personal experiences with other software will be welcomed!

Masa
03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Depends on what you plan to do with it. Sai is nice for what it is, but if you have Painter - then that is what I feel like Sai is trying to be. There is nothing wrong with Corel Painter and I know lots of industry pros who still prefer it to Photoshop. Painter is the most "painterly" of all the software I have tried so far.

I use Photoshop with my tablet just because I use it for everything else (being a graphic designer), but if you just wanted to draw and paint with your tablet - then the Painter soft you got is more than sufficient.

The license for Sai is like 5000 yen, and you get a 30 day free trial period. You should give it a whirl and see how it fits you :)

telemarq
03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks, that gives me a little more insight, and from a pro to boot! I didn't say what I was planning to use it for, but my goal is just to create my own artwork. I don't really have any formal training or schooling artistically speaking, but I spent 13+ years in the professional photographic industry dealing with artists, designers and photographers so I feel I have developed an eye and the creative juices have never stopped flowing after all these years. Hopefully this will develop into a new outlet for some personal creativity.

Xelizarios-Prime
03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
It arrived by FedEx Wednesday and I will finally get to start playing around with it this weekend. I got Corel Painter 11 with it, but I want to try out different software. I read somewhere that Paint Tool SAI is popular with manga and anime artists. Does anyone have experience with SAI? Pros or Cons?

I've used Corel Paintshop Pro Photo XI for several years for touch-up, cropping, color correction, etc. Not really that good for creating, but an OK program. It was more that just occasionally unstable on both my WinXP desk and laptop, but runs fine on my latest homebuilt desktop running Win7 Pro 64bit.

As free downloads from Corel, I was also able to get Photoshop Elements 9 and other software with the Wacom. I actually bought it through Corel because of the price with Painter. The extra $100+ free software was nice. Now I just need to find what else I can be comfortable working with. All suggestions and personal experiences with other software will be welcomed!

What about GIMP? That's a fairly decent program. :-)

telemarq
03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
I've played around just a little with GIMP. Can't beat the price, thats for sure.