View Full Version : Hi.... new to the game

07-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Im new to the boards and am looking to ask a question but am not sure where to ask it? So Ill ask it here and see if someone might be able to help...

As a car modeler Im struggling with some of the parts not fitting at all or coming to me broken..

I was wondering if any of you might know of some good products for making parts or repairing part for these figures? I have casting resin but the parts in question are warped or broken or even missing. Like straps or a piece of armor that came out of the mold funny and will never line up... So I was wondering what one might use for sculpting permanent piece... I know theres molding waxes and clay but Im not sure those will work... I live in the U.S. so I know we all have different products but I was hoping for help....

07-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Most small repairs and even minor sculpting can be done fairly quickly with an epoxy type putty. If you need to sculpt lots of intricate details, maybe a polymer clay like Super Sculpey would provide better results.

07-10-2011, 04:19 PM

I got some of the super sculpey but it seems to get WAY to soft to stand on it own. I guess if your adding it to something it would be better. Ive been trying to figure out what the guys that make these anime kits from scratch are using to make these kits...

07-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Quick question - did you bake the sculpey? Super Sculpey and other polymer type clays are sculpted while it is in a soft, pliable state, then baked in an oven to a rock hard finish.

The majority of figure sculptors in Japan use either a polyester putty or epoxy putty. These are the two-part types that consist of a soft putty and a hardening agent which when combined causes the putty to solidify into a hardened state. Kind of like Bondo that is used in auto body repairs, but with a more finer consistency. Most have a 5-15 minute work time before it sets up. Then fine details are carved or added where needed. In the U.S., you might consider Milliput, Tamiya, Magic-Sculpt, or Aves if you have it in your local hobby or art supply stores.

A type of air-drying clay made from crushed powdered rock is used by some sculptors - it sets up very slow when exposed to air and can hold fine details fairly well. It isn't as robust as Super Sculpey or the poly/epoxy putties, but can still provide some excellent results. While this type is popular in Japan, I haven't found a suitable substitute for it in the States.