PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all from Animekid 1

animekid 1
05-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the site and the post section, but I have seen alot of informative info which is just great. I am a online retailer on Ebay, but I am not trying to plug myself. I am going to get involved with Anime Garage Kits to expand my business and to get out of the regular rat race. I work a regular factory job and due to health concerns ( and just plain hating the job ) I want to do something that will give me some creativity and sooth my artistic side somewhat. I do have an art background, but due to circumstance and life in general, just never persued art as a career. I live in upstate NY, with my wife of 24 years, my mom, and my daughter who is graduating college next week ( I am sooooooooooo proud of her.:D )

So that is my compact bio and I hope to be able to contribute to these pages in the near future with some updates as to my modeling endevours. :)

Animekid 1

Arieanna
05-19-2006, 12:23 PM
welcome aboard! this hobby is definately great for giving some creative release. :) after you've built a couple maybe you can think about sculpting your own. i'm loving that aspect of the hobby ^^

Dr.H
05-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Welcome to GKJ Animekid1!
If your looking into getting into garage kits your your in the right place :lol: .
We have a great group of new and veteran model builder from all over the world, so feel free to ask for help or to give some of your own advice.

animekid 1
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, I will wait a while before giving any advice about modeling just yet. Do any of you have suggestions as to reading material about the hobby? I have ordered a magazine called " Replicant " but I do not think that it address's the modeling issue as much as what is being released in Japan.:ninja:

Willow
05-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Not really unless you speak Japanese. Most modeling info I've found is from the net.

:D Oh yes, and WELCOME to the forum!!!! Enjoy your stay.

redrage
05-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Well, I will wait a while before giving any advice about modeling just yet. Do any of you have suggestions as to reading material about the hobby? I have ordered a magazine called " Replicant " but I do not think that it address's the modeling issue as much as what is being released in Japan.:ninja:
I think Amazing Figure Modeler magazine is one of the best; its not anime specific but rather covers the whole spectrum of garage kits.

http://www.amazingmodeler.com/index2.htm

Welcome to the forum.

Masa
05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

secretasianman
05-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome Animekid1!

Having an art background is a wonderful plus. If you browse around, garage kit making seems to boil down to a form of microscopic body-work: Filling holes, eradicating flaws and the occasional recreation and restructuring may await you in this hobby. All of this before assembly problems and evaluating painting solutions (though not always in that particular order.) I found it was best for me to start first and ask questions later but don't let that stop you from asking questions or posting in general. After all, we love to hang around and talk shop. (we even have a chat room!)

Replicant is a great magazine, however for the weak of wallet (I know I'm not the only one) It feeds a dangerous addiction. Most of my modeling advice came from online forums, but Google has been a valuable advisor as well. Many of use have discovered Cody's coop - http://codyscoop.com/ Who covers a lot of elementary and advanced topis as well. If you check out his WIP pages, there's plenty of cradle-to-grave photo-righ tutorials.

Anyways, before I run off my mouth, Check it out, and welcome to the forums!