PDA

View Full Version : What Can We Do?

FilmMkr
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
To maximize this unknown jewel that is GKJ?

After reading Willow's update here:

http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=116

I decided to start a thread that will hopefully stimulate some constructive feedback.

Specifically, I personally wish that there was more participation and activity here. We have over a hundred members, but the majority of those folks never post. I notice that we have several "guests" logged on at nearly all times, checking out the existing threads, but they don't really contribute either. In other words, there are people who are interested enough to check us out, maybe even join, but hardly anyone ever posts. Why is that, I wonder?

This is kind of interesting:

Out of the 115 members of this group,

* 49 have never posted, even to say hello
* 8 have posted one time
* 9 have posted twice

Nearly half of our registered members have never posted, and 66 out of 115 have posted twice or less!

Additionally,

* 10 members have posted between 10 and 20 times
* 18 have posted more than 20 times
* Only 7 of us have posted more than 100 times (Arie, Dr. H, Filmy, Joa, Masa, RedRage, and Willow)

What can we do to increase interest among our members? I've noticed that even the core membership does not start many new threads, nor does anyone post WIPs, completed kits, tips and techniques, etc. In point of fact we often go several days without a post of any kind. (I'm not pointing fingers, because I am guilty of all of the above myself!)

I'm wondering why that is (lack of activity)? I can see that if a newcomer checks out the board for a few days and sees no activity, they have no incentive to become a member and/or contribute to the group.

I'm not trying to be negative - rather, I'd like to open a dialogue about what we can do to increase participation by a) our existing members, and b) make it interesting for newcomers to join and interact with us. This is a great place to hang out, its the best-looking board of its kind on the web, our chat room is better than any out there, and we have some very talented people here. What can we do to pump some life into the group? Or maybe the bettter question to ask is "what makes a board active and successful?"

Any suggestions?

Filmy

Masa
06-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Hmm... I understand your concerns and while I do agree that discussing what (if any) changes need to be made is a good idea, the statistics do not tell the whole story. I personally prefer fewer, quality posts than the plethora of off-topic posts that plague the other model related forums. BTW, the huge number of "guests" that you see on the forum are mostly spiders and bots from search engines - they are set up to appear as "guests" on the "Who is online" list.

But since we are talking hard figures and since most of us are familiar with HobbyFanatics, lets use them as a reference.

2626 members
1610 members with zero posts
-------------------------------------
1016 members who have ever posted out of 2626 = (39%)

2626 members
2500 members have less than 100 posts
-------------------------------------------------
126 members who would be considered "active" by your count. (5%)

2626 members
2290 members have less than 20 posts
------------------------------------------------
336 members have more than 20 posts = (13%)

Now getting back to the topic at hand, what can we do to increase participation? I really don't know. I'm definitely one of the guilty as I have less and less time to devote to my hobbies these days as work and family demand more and more of my free time. I don't know... by what definition would a board be active and successful? When we start having 50 posts a day about combining Mentos and diet cola??

A few friends stopping by now and then when they have some free time to talk models and hang out... seems pretty perfect to me :sleep:

Joa
06-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I totally agree with Masa and couldn't have put it better myself... ;)

nightengale5385
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm definately guilty as well:p

But I do think I've been more active than I have in the past few years with posting and building. Before I didn't have the time or energy because of my job and personal reasons. I also do have a couple figures in the past I started WIP's for that I need to finish or post up the final product. There are a lot of things I do need to catch up on, but and as long as I at least stay "active" I'm not worried at all:)

As for GKJ, I think it's doing great. I don't think GKJ really needs to compete with the other(recast) forums IMO. There's always room for improvement, but as for me, I'm happy with the way it is:)

Joa
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
My philosophy regarding forums dedicated to a designed purpose (in this case garage kits); GKJ, the Clubhouse, Hobby Fanatics and others, I rarely post anything else than subjects / posts that concern that area.
Sure, there are things I like to share with my forum pals (like the infamous burger thread or prominent, for you abroad exotic holidays like Midsummer's Eve) but I try to stick to posting relevantly.

Therefor I feel I have to add something rather than just quoting masa.

Here goes...

I believe masa put it to the point..

That is, ppl are more or less busy with life/family/work etc and the hobby is.. well, just that; a hobby.
A LOT of time has to be invested in posting WIPs.. so this forum related stuff should ALSO be concidered a hobby and we should be grateful so many of us wish to share our kits and the progress with them with the rest of the world.
That being said; I believe that this forum (much like Cody Kwok's (http://codyscoop.com/)home page) brings more joy every time something new is posted than many other places filled with .. well, junk.

Dr.H
06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Lol ok.. I got home from work and saw this post instantly thinking hmm how am I going to respond to this :rolleyes: .

First I'd like to thank FilmMkr for being a great member who really likes and cares about all of us and this forum. I agree with his last paragraph the most but I think the hard facts can came off a bit strong and I can see how Masa wanted to put it into perspective to similar sites. I think it's plain to see that bigger isn't always better and even if we're never as large as other places, whats important is how the members we do have interact with the forum. We can be small but strong with active members and a board way ahead of the other if we keep focused.
As you all can see we have been working really hard to keep the forum updated with the best software and organizing the layout and designs to be attractive and easy to use, so I think FilmMkr has a great idea to make a user suggestions thread.
It can be easy for us to miss points that some of you might notice since we're looking out while your looking in.

I personally will try to get more time into my models and get less distracted :p since I know it's alot easier to hop on the computer at night than to grab your tools or AB. We're not making any demands of anyone since this is after all just a hobby and not meant to run your life..lol even though I know it does for some of us me included.

I would remind everyone that they are free to start any topic their curious in to ask for advice or give some of your own.. I can think of a few thing we've talked about in the past before GKJ so even though we know them they are not here for the new members to see. (please remember no way off hobby topics)

p.s. I removed the Yahoo rating thread by Willow, while its neat info it gives off the wrong idea that we're focused on things like that. Lol I have a feeling she won't mind ;)

FilmMkr
06-07-2006, 02:08 PM
First of all, I hope that you each read the part about "not being negative". I am not criticizing the group nor any of the members. What, may I ask, is wrong with improvement? With trying to take a good thing and make it even better? Wouldn't all of us derive even more pleasure from the group if there was more happening here?

Re: Masa's numbers in respect to HF, my point is this - why shouldn't we aspire to be different? Should we be satisfied with a membership that posts in comparable numbers? Or would this board be more energetic with more involvement?

Joa, you mention that you get more joy when you see something new and exciting here and at Cody's. How would your feelings be if there were, say, double the number of posts that brought you that joy? Would that be something that interests you?

Look, I didn't mean to bring up a topic that made everyone feel so sensitive. In my life and my business, I never stop trying to improve, to get better, to do more - its just the way I am wired. That's why I wanted to start a constructive thread with an interesting dialogue. Perhaps I misjudged the audience here, and if that is the case, I apologize.

Back to lurking for me too.

FM

Dr.H
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
No worries FilmMkr,
I totally get we're your comming from and I think this thread was a fine idea.. Trust me what you said goes through my mind all the time. I think any misunderstanding might have just been from the stats causing some forum war flashbacks lol.
Plus you can't go back to lurking nope I forbid it :p your needed to much here;) .

Lol anyway I hope we all now understand what each other meant on the overall theme of this thread and we can now get to what I belive Filmy meant for it in the first place.

1)How can we improve GKJ to better meet your needs?
2) Is there anything topics you would like to talk about?
3) Is their anyway we can help each make more progress with building their kits?

Willow
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
1)How can we improve GKJ to better meet your needs?

First of all someone needs to get a spell checker and grammar checker. I didn't know one could make so many errors in one post.

[Don't worry guys...I know the Dr. can take this ribbing...I somehow know that I will be able to make it up to him...]

Really sorry I opened that can of worms. Just excited to see all of the Dr.'s and all the dedicated members' hard work come to fruition.

Dr.H
06-07-2006, 08:38 PM
First of all someone needs to get a spell checker and grammar checker. I didn't know one could make so many errors in one post.

[Don't worry guys...I know the Dr. can take this ribbing...I somehow know that I will be able to make it up to him...]

Lol to be serious I really wish the posting system had a spell checker built in.. When I have long posts or replys I'm usually stuck writing it on Word then copying and paisting it here. PITA
Hmm I might have to look into that :lol: .

Arieanna
06-07-2006, 08:49 PM

<chuckles thinking of a recent conversation>

as for what we can do, I think we're actually doing pretty well so far. We're drawing more and more people and even though they may not be posting yet, they just may not have something to post yet. We don't have a lot of random sections to foster mindless thread farming. Those that join the forum for the sake of the hobby hopefully find it easy to find the information they're looking for.

and we are sort-of branching into new territories with Doc's custom base store and Masa's resin pimping corner ;)

with time those figures in the originals section may even find their way to their own section and be available to anyone interested in building them as well. (and im not just saying that because i have a few WIPs in that section myself lol)

all in all, i'd say keep up the good work so far guys! and for anyone just lurking, i'll look forward to anything you have to contribute :happy:

Dr.H
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
..no spell checker is to be included by VBulletin due to the lag it would cause in the servers but it seems there is a free spell check add on for Internet Explorer :) that is highly recommended. http://www.iespell.com/ Once it's installed the "ABC" box in the upper right hand of the posting message box will be activated! I used it and it rocks :D .

P.S. Oh and for those of you not IE fans take a look at the new IE 7 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx you may like it ;) .