View Full Version : Zippity Doo Dah!!

08-07-2006, 10:03 PM
We got Press Credentials for Wonder Festival!! F*cking yippieeee!

That means I don't have to stand in that long-ass line for five hours - we will get in before the public so that we can take photos and (*fingers crossed*) buy kits before they open the doors and sell out. Look out, Bubba, here I come!

Leaving one week from tomorrow. Man oh man, I cannot WAIT!!

:hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Glad to hear that everything worked out ok ::thumb

The best thing is not having to smell 30,000 otaku sweating in a hot parking lot!

btw... I hear those big shipping containers on the freighters can hold a metric ton ;)

08-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Thats freaking awsome Filmy!!!:jump:
I can't wait to see you photos :D when you get back.
This rocks, one of us is finally going to the WF :cry: I'll get over the fact it's not me...
If you can give us a shout before you leave so we can all wish you well.

08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
The only drawback is that they are sending my invitation by Air Mail (sent out yesterday) and I am leaving on Tuesday morning (a week from today). I sure hope it gets here in time! If not, I am taking all of my correspondence with me - perhaps I can get everything in person if it doesn't arrive in time.

You can count on lots and lots of photos from the trip. I am going to buy more memory cards, and I'm taking two of my three Nikons, three lenses, and a tripod for night shots. Oh yeah, and I'm taking $2,000 in yen and $3,500 in traveler' checks for my play money. I might have to buy another suitcase while I'm there just to get all of my new toys home! :giggle: :giggle:

08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, and I'm taking $2,000 in yen and $3,500 in traveler' checks for my play money. I might have to buy another suitcase while I'm there just to get all of my new toys home! :giggle: :giggle:

08-08-2006, 09:43 PM
SUPER!! Be safe and have fun! We'll be waiting for the pics of the motherload you will bring back from the WF and C3 events(more than likely, you'll get most of the goodies before sell out :D)!

08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
That sounds like too much fun. Is there a monetary limit to the value of stuff customs will let you return with from Japan? I've never seen a dollar and cents (or yen! :lol: ) amount stated.

08-10-2006, 11:11 PM
That sounds like too much fun. Is there a monetary limit to the value of stuff customs will let you return with from Japan? I've never seen a dollar and cents (or yen! :lol: ) amount stated.

[Good Masa] It really depends on how you declare it when returning. Coming back into the US from Japan, you get an $800 personal exemption, and then you have to pay 3% for the next $1000. After that, it starts going up in duty charges. In Filmy's case, since he is traveling with family, they get an exemption rate according to how many family members are traveling together.

[Evil Masa] But who really knows how much that little plastic baggie of parts cost? :devil:

[Good Masa] Huh? Who said that? What? :blink:

08-11-2006, 03:04 AM
and if all else fails, mail it home! :D

hehe make sure you take a ton of pics. cant wait to hear about the trip ^^

08-11-2006, 10:15 PM
To hell with that overpriced Bubba sculpt, MY first stop will be Cerberus Project!!

Just three more days . . . . :hubba:

08-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Ooooooo............Carmen 99 :wub:

08-12-2006, 03:26 PM
WOW::yikes ! That Dark Elf girl is hot! I NEEDS IT BADLY:wub: !

08-12-2006, 04:48 PM
WOW::yikes ! That Dark Elf girl is hot! I NEEDS IT BADLY:wub: !

you're not the only one :drool:

08-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Money for Dark Elf (and other model goodies!):

Can you tell how much this is? :confused:

08-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Umm:huh: the bottom picture looks like 199,000 yen - $1,711 ? Lol unless some was covered up :p Sounds like your just about ready to rock!::thumb

08-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Y200,000 - that is just for WF! ::thumb

Yeah, to say I am stoked would be the understatement of the century. :hubba: :hubba:

08-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Cerberus Project added some more goodies:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Well, the day has finally arrived - I'm off to the airport for the 14 hour flight to Narita. Yay!!

I'll do my best to keep you guys updated, but if I don't, see you when I get back!

08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
It's 9:40am and I see you online... I take it you didn't go to CharaHobby? :p

08-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I take it you didn't go to CharaHobby?
Nope - I heard that there is not much in the way of figures there - mostly Gundam (yawn). I made a trip to Big Sight instead so that I would know the route and the trains.

After discovering that I couldn't get my press passes until tomorrow (dangit!), I went to Satomi Design (http://www.d-satomi.com/).

I think I did pretty good, considering I speak VERY little Japanese, but following this map . . .

. . . . I actually found it. Go me!!

For those of you who don't know, Satomi-san is a very famous sculptor for Cerberus Project. When I walked into his studio, this is what I found:

After four days of scouring Tokyo trying to find current original kits instead of frigging Gundam, Gundam, Gundam, I walked into the Promised Land, where I met Satomi-san himself. He is a very kind and humble man, and graciously showed me around his studio and even allowed me to take a few photos (no flash, please!). Uh, no problem, sir.

I am a huge fan of Tsukasa Jun, (I already have the Homura Ninja that Satomi sculpted) and seeing the original kits themselves as sculpted and painted by the master himself was awe-inspiring:

As I'm sure you can imagine, I just couldn't help myself - I had to have this companion piece:

Another masterpiece you may recognize (I bought this baby also!):

Also on display, Sunny Day's original of the Rickenbacher Girl, several sculpts of Hakafu Sonsaku, Ryofu Hosen, Rei Ayunami, Asuka Langly, and the Cerberus Maids.

Here's today's haul, safe and sound back at the hoteru. Note the clear plastic seals on both kits and the Satomi packaging for Mizuki:

08-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Good job! Even I would get lost in the back streets of Ueno... and I speak Japanese :D

Great score! It is much more fun getting the kits from the source.

Make sure you guys get plenty of rest for WonderFest tomorrow, its a long trek to the kit tables from the train station ::thumb

08-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I know - I walked it today:

Otaku already camping out at 2:00 this afternoon:

08-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Heh, the Big Saw is pretty cool.