PDA

View Full Version : Newb in tha house

danfaz
10-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone!

Found this board through a google search. I've just started getting into kit building. I've done some Alien soft vinyls and am currently working on an Iria vinyl kit.

Dr.H
10-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey danfaz :happy: Welcome to GKJ! Hope you have a good time here too.
I've never built a vinyl kit before, how is it?

Arieanna
10-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Welcome aboard!

you'll definately have to share the vinyl with us. ive never done one of those and frankly from what ive heard they're kinda scarey. sunken parts, filled too much, plaster not setting and rotting away, extra knife stabbings <shudders> lol

danfaz
10-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome :)

Vinyl's not too bad. I think I've been lucky to get good quality kits, namely Halcyon, Sega and Falchion.

The key to vinyl is hitting the parts you need to cut with a heat gun first. Then your knife goes through it like butter!

A major drawback though is the softness of it. On a hot day, your statue might start drooping! So, people typically fill the lower portions with some resin or putty to help make it more solid.

Oh, and don't paint with enamels! They will never dry on vinyl.

Well, I hope to learn many new things here, and help in any way I can.

:beer:

Masa
10-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll have a great time here :)

Miaka
10-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Let's just say Welcome !!:lol:

redrage
10-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Danfaz. Be sure to post some pics of your work (or works in progress).

Best Regards,
'Rage

Willow
10-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Welcome! I've never seen vinal kits before. Please post some pics when you get around to it. Definately interested to see what it's like!