PDA

View Full Version : Earth to Filmy

Joa
10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
You there?
Or did you hijack a shuttle? ;)

FilmMkr
10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah dude, I'm here. I got bent over some childish horsesh*t over at HF, so I've been on board hiatus for a while. I'm still coming around here, though.

I was posting WIPs and tips and tricks over there because I thought I could inform, teach, and help more people (due to the larger audience), but apparently one must follow certain guidelines vis-a-vis who posts what and where. When I tried to explain my rationale, I got a lot of "Yeah, but . . ." and "So what you're really saying is . . ."

I'll start loading my stuff here, I guess, even though its only you, Todd, Masa, and Arie that'll see it. LOL.

When are we gonna seee some of your stuff, by the way? :hubba:

Dr.H
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Glad to see your still here Filmy ;) I was wondering how long it would take till you got upset with the way they were treating you over there, I don't go there but I occasionally hear of not so nice things they say to when your helping them out with all your posting..

I was thinking I should get some updates on one of my current WIPs up onto the board, my initiative has been slow as heck lately :sweat: .
T
he other GK forums do seem to have an upper hand in drawing in members with their recast companies backing them and sending people their way.. It would be great if we could some day manage to be the anime version of Clubhouse which has to be the top U.S. style resin and sculpting site out there.
I did recently open up this forums section "Lounge" to all reasonable topics to try and initiate conversations since it seems a large variety of members on other sites are there mainly to chat over topics and hang out.

Still I'm glad your around and even though your first try helping GKJ with your "What can we do" thread kind of went off in the opposite direction you meant :doh: I'm still all for hearing any ideas people have on bettering GKJ and member response. ::thumb

I noticed that all your pics are gone, you know your welcome to store all your photos in your own gallery here ;).

Joa
10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah dude, I'm here. I got bent over some childish horsesh*t over at HF, so I've been on board hiatus for a while. I'm still coming around here, though. [...]
When are we gonna seee some of your stuff, by the way? :hubba:

You could say there's a reason for Me not posting there any more (though I check in ever so often ^^)

Well, I'm getting there.
I was best man at my friend's wedding this past weekend and that circus certainly stole a lot of my mind and time for the past few months ^^´
At the moment I am concentrating on getting a Berserk commision done (I got it long before the move, so you could say I'm a bit late with that one ^^´) + I have a large scale warhammer bad guy (Hive Tyrant, if you're familiar with that Universe) to do for my brother in law.
Other than that, I have a schedule to last me through march; IPMS Open again (and yes, I will post loads of pics then as well, despite your lousy connection :takeit: ).
If I'm lucky, these will be my entries:
-the Alchemist clone bust (http://www.gkjapan.com/showpost.php?p=3215&postcount=15)
-A 1/4 scale Selene from Underworld (http://www.2bitstudio.com/gallery3/working/seleneII/seleneII06102501sm.jpg)(should be delivered in mid november). That base is 8" wide, btw ...^^´
-A LOTR shadow box depicting the path through Moria. It will be quite spectacular... ^^

So, I'm soooo looking forward to my Xmas vacation. 2½ weeks of kit building :D

chimera
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Glad to see your still here Filmy ;) I was wondering how long it would take till you got upset with the way they were treating you over there, I don't go there but I occasionally hear of not so nice things they say to when your helping them out with all your posting..

I was thinking I should get some updates on one of my current WIPs up onto the board, my initiative has been slow as heck lately :sweat: .
T
he other GK forums do seem to have an upper hand in drawing in members with their recast companies backing them and sending people their way.. It would be great if we could some day manage to be the anime version of Clubhouse which has to be the top U.S. style resin and sculpting site out there.
I did recently open up this forums section "Lounge" to all reasonable topics to try and initiate conversations since it seems a large variety of members on other sites are there mainly to chat over topics and hang out.

Still I'm glad your around and even though your first try helping GKJ with your "What can we do" thread kind of went off in the opposite direction you meant :doh: I'm still all for hearing any ideas people have on bettering GKJ and member response. ::thumb

I noticed that all your pics are gone, you know your welcome to store all your photos in your own gallery here ;).

You should run a contest, that's what got me posting on e2046 a lot, and the clubhouse ;) I suspect it's the same with others ;)

Dr.H
10-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Hmm good idea chimera. We did have a lottery for free items last year, do you have any ideas on what type of contest you'd like to see?

FilmMkr
10-23-2006, 11:34 PM
A model building contest, that's what kind! Maybe a Christmas contest. I know that the HF contest turned into a fiasco last year because it was mismanaged, and Chi swore he'd never do another one. I'd be willing to help sponsor, manage, and administer the thing. After all, I've been promoting live contests for over a decade! :D

Lemme think out loud for a bit - instead of giving away recasts, we could give away originals - something that a lot of people say they "can't afford". THAT would sure set us apart from the recast sites! I'll betcha we could all chip in one or two kits (an original from Wonder Festival Summer 2006 mebbe??) - something nice, not our white elephants - that would draw them out of the woodwork. Or if you guys don't want to do that, I'll chip in some and buy some more. We could also give away GKJ swag - shirts and hats, some of Mrs. Dr. H thong panties :p and more!

We wouldn't exclude recasts from the contest or slam anybody for building 'em, rather we could use the opportunity to encourage folks to try originals and educate them on how to acquire them.

We could make it a requirement (request?) that the builders post a WIP as they build (which would generate board traffic and stimulate interest), hold a photo contest (or a PhotoSHOP contest!), and have an Invitation-Only Masters Class for some of the better-known top shelf builders.

Ya know, this is a great idea, Chimera! Mebbe we oughta have a Chat session and discuss this off the board. I'm sure I could come up with a million ideas.

Filmy

Dr.H
10-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Sounds good to me ;). I say we work out the details this week in the chat.

chimera
10-24-2006, 02:54 PM
That's great, I'm really glad you guys are thinking of it. ;)

I really like the idea of catagories, maybe even a distinction between new/brush painters, and people that would be considered pro or highly experianced. Maybe in addition you could charge the pro catagory a small entrance fee like $2-5 per entry, since this isn't store supported, to go towards prizes.
So you could have like a nice donated prize for the general new builder/hand painting catagory, and a cash or bought prize for the higher level compitition. That might discourage people from cheating and entering thier pro stuff in the smaller catagory for instance.

GameraBaenre
10-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I have and original Rei kit I can donate for such a contest: http://www.hlj.com/product/AMGEVF-011
Its still in the box and completely unopened.

Dr.H
10-26-2006, 04:57 PM
I know I have a couple of nice originals I'd be fine with putting up. I say we go into the chat room Friday or Saturday night to talk about the breakdown of how the contest should be done?