PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Modeling Vids

FilmMkr
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
As some of you may or may not know, I own a digital film/multimedia production company. We have just invested in a brand new high definition camera package and HD edit rig. I was thinking today about a conversation we had in chat last night re: putting together a photo tutorial and I thought, 'ya know, that might make a pretty cool video!

I've had people ask about putting together a David Fisher-style modeling vid for cars or figures, but I've resisted getting involved because I don't think that there is a market there. There just aren't enough buyers to justify the time and production expense, and David has already saturated the market with his excellent Modelmania DVDs. When I was in Japan I saw lots of modeling vids, but none that were in English or region-compatible.

Now having said that, there ARE topics that haven't been covered before (including mecha and anime GKs), and the internet is a great way to deliver subject matter specific to specialized interests. So, I'm thinking of doing a couple of short how-to vids just to see what the response might be. We could either host 'em here or post links, I suppose.

In light of that, I thought I'd start a little poll and see what the masses (heh) want to see. Please note that this is a multiple choice poll - you can select more than one response. I am also interested in hearing about topics that YOU would like to see, but that I have not listed. Post your topics here and let me know what you are most interested in!

Filmy

Dr.H
01-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Ooh this idea kicks ass ::thumb ! I'd have to say if any of those option interest me the most it would be shading thats still a weak spot with me and I'd love to see how you actually go through the process of doing yours. You can learn so much faster off of watching it done over reading about it.

Arieanna
01-29-2007, 02:42 AM
that was a hard choice. Shading would be a good one, but I opted for the photography one. I still havent quite figured out how to use my digital camera effectively. Some picture come out ok. Others end up really blurry.

Teach me, Oh Wise One! :bow:

Willow
01-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Filmy! What a great idea. I chose the "clean, prep, and pin" option. I seem to be stuck with mine and haven't touched her in ages because I just don't know what to do next, and the Dr. is quite busy right now and there isn't much time for him to give me a tutorial.

Hoping to see some vids soon!!!

FilmMkr
01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I edited the original post to let you know that this is a multiple choice poll - you can choose more than one option. I also hope to get some feedback from folks about topics that THEY would like to see, and not just limit the selection to the ones I've listed. ::thumb

FM

xDiscoStu
01-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Good grief, man! You're making me choose?! Oh, wait... no, no you're not.

Masa
01-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Hmm... trying to think back to when I was starting out in the hobby... WAAAAY back ... :p

General Airbrushing Tutorial - How does everything actually work?
Fleshtones - How to paint them, how to shade them.
Painting Anime Eyes - Hardest part of the kit for most beginners.
How do you use all those new-fangled model tools? Dremels, scribers, pin-vises.
How do you apply decals?
How do you make decals?
Why is the sky blue and the grass green?

:D

ryukumon
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds like a great idea. Personally I would also like to see a good video about eyes and shading. I'm not much on the pastel methods but it looks nice. Another good video would be diorama/display work, stuff on mounting and making kick ass bases for killer models. :)

Ryu

FrenzyManifestation
01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I think its a great idea

chimera
01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I was addicted for a long time to the Japanese model building series on Fujitv in Japan, I'd love to see an american version ;)

Maybe you could do like they do and have guest stars and different models/figures each week and sell it to discovery channel or something.<lol>

American chopper, american hot rods or whatever, and american modeler! :)

Tsunamidelta
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE][General Airbrushing Tutorial - How does everything actually work?
How do you apply decals?
How do you make decals?
/QUOTE]

Then there was the Gremlin's in the Garage stuff.. but that was mostly geared to non anime kits.. Honest with ya Filmmker.. Go for it sounds like a good idea.

Just don't stress yaself out too much doing it.

Matt

FilmMkr
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Matt, was Gremlin's stuff video? Links?

FM

Dr.H
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Pretty good responses so far! I think this will really be a great series if you decide to make it.

blade_runner
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I opted for "how to take the photos" option, but I'd like to see something about workspace setup, photography space, and so on.

I'm a big fan of Norm Abram's "New Yankee Workshop", its format, presentation, and how he narrates the processes to make various furniture pieces. He comes off calmly and provides visual reassurance to the woodworkers watching. I don't know what kind of presentation style you were thinking of having not seen any of the modeling vids, but I generally agree that there's room for a new perspective with new methods, technologies, and modeling products.

I'd support your cause for sure. Do you need writing support from anyone?

Miaka
02-03-2007, 04:09 AM
What a great idea you had !

I choose also how to take pictures, because i'm really bad at it. Maybe it's also because i don't have a proper space to do it.

Whatever will be the result, i just can say thank you for making this. This will be really useful !

crea
02-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Hmm... trying to think back to when I was starting out in the hobby... WAAAAY back ... :p

General Airbrushing Tutorial - How does everything actually work?
How do you apply decals?
How do you make decals?

:D

I have to agree with Masa here....tho :dry: I happen to know the sky/grass thing is only deception :rolleyes:

Seriously...? Anything that can be categorized as painting would be in my wishing well.

.håkan [certified n00b - for years...]

MidZ
02-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I opted for the shading tutorial. I suck at coloring, that's why I want to know much more of it. It wouldn't be a nice photo if the subject itself is crappy

Dr.H
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm really looking forward to these videos :) I think they will really help a lot of the new members just starting their first few kits.

FilmMkr
03-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Funny you should mention this - we are actively working on something that will *hopefully* make a splash across the entire modeling community. This is a major endeavor with some serious investment in capital and manpower, and to say I am excited about it is an understatement!

Stay tuned for more details . . .

Filmy

blade_runner
03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
... In capable hands ...

AOJ
03-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Any of the poll options will be GLADLY received ... because there are no vids about sculpting, painting, pining, ... anime garage kits :) (I've never seen any)

I voted shading because it's at what I suck most :p

A video about "Build your kit with common inexpensive materials and paints" will rock too!