PDA

View Full Version : GKJapan Figure Contest 2007!!

Dr.H
02-03-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/8/contest3.jpg

Welcome to GKJapan’s Figure Contest 2007!

Written by Dr.H – Edited by FilmMkr, Joa and Masa

We at GKJ would like to welcome all of our members and guests to the 2007 GKJapan Figure Contest thread. If you’ve visited GKJ before and have thought about joining, right now would be a great time to do so because the contest is going to be huge and it’s open to members only!

We would first like to say that we have designed this contest so that there is a place for builders of all skill levels. We have two basic classes, Amateur and Advanced. Each class has two categories, 1/6 and larger or 1/7 and smaller.

You are allowed to pick the class that you feel most suits you. We know some of you may have been building garage kits for years but feel that your skills are still at a basic level, while some of you may have been building for less than a year but are very artistic and have advanced at a rapid pace. So feel free to place yourself in the appropriate category, and the Judges will make any placement changes that we feel are necessary.

After you have picked your class you have the option of entering into one or both of the two categories.

Each category has 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes, and they are not just trinkets, but very nice tools, accessories, and prized and valuable original Japanese model kits from companies like Cerberus Project, Griffon, Amie Gran, and more!

For this contest we would prefer to keep the focus on anime and manga related figure garage kits from Japan. We have discussed plans to include other genres as well as scale and vehicle categories in future contests if we feel there is enough interest to justify the additions.

Prizes

Ok on with the prizes! All prizes for the GKJapan Figure Contest 2007 are original Japanese model kits and accessories donated by the judges. Here is a chart which breaks down the Classes and Categories and lists the prize and its value for each category:

http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/Final%20Prize%20List.jpg

Here is a link to the gallery where you can see photos of the prizes and manufacturer links when available: Prize Photos (http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=84&userid=)

Winning contestants are allowed to swap prizes but must work out the details privately before shipping, if destinations are to change.

In addition, there are three Bonus Awards - Best of Show, Best Photo, and Best Diorama. Every figure entered in the contest will be considered for the Bonus Awards.

Best of Show: The best of show award is a people’s choice award. After the deadline a poll will open giving all GKJapan members the ability to pick what figure they thought was the best one in the contest.

Best Photo: The best photo award is designed to get you to put your best foot forward in setting up and displaying your figure for its photo shoot. We’re looking for good, crisp, well-lit images that bring your figure to life. The figure should be in focus and the shots should look clean and dust free. This award doesn’t necessarily go to the most professional photos, otherwise the prize and point of it would be useless. This award is meant for the person who tried the hardest with the tools they have, whether a high-end SLR camera or a disposable digital. Give it your all and we will notice!

Best Diorama: Due to lack of entries into this category we will not be awarding a diorama award this year.

Judging

Let’s talk a bit about the judging process. There will be five judges: Masa, FilmMkr, Joa, Dr.H and our guest judge Cody from Cody's Coop (http://codyscoop.com/).
All of the judges will follow a strict set of guidelines and rules based on a points system written and developed by Joa, who has years experience in judging model contests. This is not a popularity contest and we promise to be unbiased in our voting. The judging guidelines are available for anyone to download here: Judging Guidelines Download (http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/Judging Criteria GKJapan Figure Contest 2007.doc)

Entry Rules

The contest is open to members of GKJapan.com only, and you must be a member to enter. You may register here: GKJapan Registration (http://www.gkjapan.com/register.php) . It’s free, fast and simple!
There is no charge to enter the contest.
Entries may be originals or recasts, but you may only enter figures you personally built/assembled and painted.
You may enter any number of figures into each category as long as each entry follows the entry rules.
You may enter up to 6 photos for each figure. Please make sure they include front, sides, back, overview and selected details. This will help in judging. Please do not submit photos larger than 1600 x 1200 pixels. You are not allowed to enhance or digitally alter the photos in any way. Altered photos will not be eligible for the Best Photo award! If necessary we may contact you asking for new or specific photos to be taken.
If you are also trying for the Diorama Bonus Award you may take extra photos to show the details of your dioramic base in accordance with the photo criteria above.
To validate/register your figures for entry into the contest you must download this validation form and follows its written instructions: Figure Authorization Form (http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/1/Figure-Authorization-Form.jpg).
You may enter photos for you kits by starting a new member subcategory in the Gallery’s Contest Entries section here: Contest Entries Member Section (http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=93&userid=)To start a new member subcategory just upload a photo into the correct class and category and a new member category will automatically be made for you. The deadline for entries is August 31, 2007. *NOTE* Members who have not yet passed the Promotions System (http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=318) to become full members do not have access to up-load into the GKJ Gallery. You may fix this by making a few posts on the forum to become a full member, which is highly recommended or you may tell me when you email me your entry form photo that you are not a full member yet and need access to the Gallery. I will then alter you account to provide this.Any questions you have may be asked here or you can send a PM to any of the judges and we will try to get you an answer as soon as possible. We hope many of you enter and we wish you the best of luck in winning. Above all remember the main reason for the contest is to HAVE FUN!!

If you have an idea on which kit your thinking of entering feel free to talk about it. You can enter kits as soon as you'd like, this includes kits you've previously built. It is not a requirement that you have to build a new kit to enter the contest. Just register your figure with me and make your gallery photo entries and your on your way!

FilmMkr
02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
And we're off to the races! I can't think of another online contest with prizes like these - kits by Cerberus Project, Volks, Griffon, Kotobukiya, and P-unit (some direct from the last WonderFest Summer! :D ), as well as a brand-spanking new Iwata HP-C!

Um, would it be okay if I withdrew from judging so that I could enter the contest? :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Filmy

Dr.H
02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Um, would it be okay if I withdrew from judging so that I could enter the contest? :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Filmy

NO you will not be released from you chains until September :devil: .

But FilmMkr is right, this contest ROCKS!!::thumb

Arieanna
02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Yay! This is going to be SO fun! I have a couple ideas in mind, just have to figure out which i wanna do :p

nightengale5385
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Damn, those are some great prizes::yikes ! I've already pick out the my figure entry(possibly two). Hopefully I'll make it before the deadline:)

chimera
02-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow! Fantastic, lots of time to work on stuff too huh?

Um, one problem I see though, is a divider based on scale, since scale is so relative.... For instance my Sumomo kit is 1/1, but smaller than a typical 1/10th kit. Also making a divider between 1/7th and 1/6th is very difficult since 1/7th kits are typically touted as 1/6th.... Perhaps just a simple clearification of actual true measurement would work...

Also, I assume this is to be a character figure only contest, no mecha? If mecha are to be allowed, the scale thing definately has to be clearified.

Masa
02-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Wow! Fantastic, lots of time to work on stuff too huh?

Um, one problem I see though, is a divider based on scale, since scale is so relative.... For instance my Sumomo kit is 1/1, but smaller than a typical 1/10th kit. Also making a divider between 1/7th and 1/6th is very difficult since 1/7th kits are typically touted as 1/6th.... Perhaps just a simple clearification of actual true measurement would work...

Also, I assume this is to be a character figure only contest, no mecha? If mecha are to be allowed, the scale thing definately has to be clearified.

We wanted to allow enough time for members to build something from start to finish and there was also some concern expressed for those members who are students or who are parents of students going back to school. Hopefully the end of summer deadline should work for most of the participants.

The scale division was discussed at length and we decided that it was a convenient and fair way to place kits. If the maker/sculptor/producer of the kit has a posted scale size for the kit you are planning to enter, then technically, that is the scale that it should be entered as. As for your Sumomo and other smaller than human scale kits, you can convert the 1/1 robotic scale to an equivalent human scale if you wish. We cannot specify a ruler measurement since physical size varies so much from one kit to another. Even though one companies 1/6 scale is the same as another companies 1/7 scale, we would prefer that you enter the kit in the category that the maker/sculptor/producer specifies. If the scale of the kit isn't specified by the maker/sculptor/producer and/or you aren't sure which category you should enter the kit in - feel free to contact one of the judges by pm or post and we can figure out where the kit should go.

Yes, this is a figure only contest. A mecha contest was under consideration, but it was decided that we would like to focus on a figure only event at this time.

chimera
02-04-2007, 01:55 AM
So, though, say I want to enter a kit I sculpted myself, and decide to call it 1/6th, is that allowed? I'm working on one right now that could either be 1/6th or 1/7th, for instance. Its going to be 10 inches tall, which would make the character 1/7th if she was 6 foot tall irl right, but she'd be 1/6th if she were 5 foot irl... Who's to say how tall this character is irl, since I also designed the character?

Or you're only allowing kit's from relatively known japanese producers...?

Is the point of the scale seperation supposed to allow for a better ability to judge detail and such? Perhaps then a declaration that if the kit is 1/7th it can be entered by the entery in either the 1/6th above or 1/7th and below, which in effect would be really letting the person take a class up if they wish? Or even, you can always enter a smaller kit in the 1/6th and above class, but not a bigger kit in the smaller class or something?

Masa
02-04-2007, 02:18 AM
So, though, say I want to enter a kit I sculpted myself, and decide to call it 1/6th, is that allowed? I'm working on one right now that could either be 1/6th or 1/7th, for instance. Its going to be 10 inches tall, which would make the character 1/7th if she was 6 foot tall irl right, but she'd be 1/6th if she were 5 foot irl... Who's to say how tall this character is irl, since I also designed the character?

Or you're only allowing kit's from relatively known japanese producers...?

Is the point of the scale seperation supposed to allow for a better ability to judge detail and such? Perhaps then a declaration that if the kit is 1/7th it can be entered by the entery in either the 1/6th above or 1/7th and below, which in effect would be really letting the person take a class up if they wish? Or even, you can always enter a smaller kit in the 1/6th and above class, but not a bigger kit in the smaller class or something?

Yes, a kit that you sculpted of a character you designed would be up to you to decide the scale wouldn't it? No, we are not only accepting kits from Japanese producers and I do not recall that being mentioned as a requirement anywhere.

The scale division was decided upon as a fair break between the materials, complexity and time involved with building and painting the kit. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and these will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you are concerned about where a kit you enter will be categorized, please pm or email the details of the kit or sculpt in question and we will try and help you correctly place your item. We would prefer that you build a kit or sculpt that you want to build and have lots of fun doing it. If you are concerned about winning a certain prize, please contact us directly and we will help you get an entry into the category that you desire.

Dr.H
02-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Since a sclupt is based off a person in your mind (unless your basing the kit off of a real person or someone else's design with measurements) then you choose the 1/1 height for that person and scale down to make the kit, or if you make the kit first then you can do it back wards and scale up to the 1/1 size you picked, you then round the number to the closest scale. You can use this calculator to help you http://jimbobwan.com/scalcalc.htm

I hope that helped with finding the scale of your sculpt ;) .

Murfle
02-04-2007, 03:16 AM
Wow! This is going to be fun... I'm glad I brought some models with me. To bad I could only bring 3/4 of my tools overseas... No dremel! Ack! I might only be able to get one done! (although I have two in mind...)

thanks to everyone who's set this up, and to all the judges!

blade_runner
02-04-2007, 04:37 AM
This sounds like a very well built and intentioned contest. Thanks for providing prizes like this. I've never seen a figure building contest like this with prizes as valuable.

FrenzyManifestation
02-04-2007, 06:39 AM
This is a wonderful idea , I am very exited about this .
Now i just need to decide what to build

crea
02-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Hey guys!! Wonderful idea :) Just have to figure (duh..) out which figure to do...

.håkan

film-exposed
02-04-2007, 09:02 PM
i've only just joined... for the contest mostly. I've only done 3 figures so far, and still have a way to go, but i enjoy it very much. This will be fun.

Dr.H
02-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Welcome film-exposed I'm glad you joined for which ever reasons ;) I think you'll have fun in the meantime.

Arieanna
02-04-2007, 09:46 PM
welcoem aboard film-exposed! we're always glad to see some new members and maybe you'll enjoy it here enough to stick around ;)

Lactamaeon
02-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Hmmm... I guess now I have the incentive to get off my behind and finally start doing a figure from the ground up... And If all goes well, I might even have it finished by August! :D

Dr.H
02-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Just in case some of you haven't reread the contest lately, I made an addition to it.;)
We were working on this during post time so i didn't get to add it in then but Cody from Cody's Coop will be standing in as our non biased guest judge!

You can see his crazy good skills here:
http://codyscoop.com/

FilmMkr
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, baby! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! :hubba: :hubba:

Man oh man, now we have a celerbrity judge as well. This keeps getting bettter and better!

For those of you who are aware of the contest, would you please help spread the word to other modelers who might now know of GKJ or the contest? Please mention it to friends who might frequent other boards as well (without violating their codes of conduct - we most certainly do not wish to cause any strife.)

The more the merrier!

Filmy

FilmMkr
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
p.s. I love the new header! Awesome!

Dr.H
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
p.s. I love the new header! Awesome!

What can I say, Masa is the man :bow: .

Dr.H
02-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I just added a quick note to the contest to clear up a few things:

If you have an idea on which kit your thinking of entering feel free to talk about it. You can enter kits as soon as you'd like, this includes kits you've previously built. It is not a requirement that you have to build a new kit to enter the contest. Just register your figure with me and make your gallery photo entries and your on your way!

Neptune103
02-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Hey everyone,

I hope you guys won't mind me asking, but is this a figures-only contest?

EDIT: For some unknown reason, my eyes chose to skip over the word "Figure". Doh! =P

Dr.H
02-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey everyone,

I hope you guys won't mind me asking, but is this a figures-only contest?

EDIT: For some unknown reason, my eyes chose to skip over the word "Figure". Doh! =P

lol no problem ;) . If we get a good response from the member this year we will expand the contest to cover Mecha and Scale next year. So if you guys want an even bigger contest with even better prizes next year, make it known this year!

MidZ
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow!! I'm going to join on the fun too.

So, a full scratch original figure from my imagination is OK for entry as long as its in the 2 categories provided right?

If so..YAY!!!

I will surely join, and the deadline is so sweet, also!
Here's toasting to a great competition!

Dr.H
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Yup MidZ any originals are more than welcome! ;)
I'll be looking forward to your entry :).

Monkeywiz
02-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey Guys,

The sculpt I'm currently working on is a 1/12th figure, and hopefully I'll manage to get it complete in time to enter, my only query is that for entirely scratch built pieces, I wondered if there'd be any leeway on the following rule?
....but you may only enter figures you personally built and painted.

I only ask as I can sculpt (well I'm ok for a beginner at least) but can't actually paint for toffee, I'll see how much I can learn between finishing the sculpt and the deadline, but wondered if I ran out of time would it be possible to get help on a paint-up of my figure, or perhaps enter it as a joint piece?

Dr.H
02-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry Monkeywiz but the point of the contest is to encourage the building of models with our members and painting is a very important part of that. You should do the best you can with the painting.
The only way someone else could enter your sculpt is if you built it and made a cast copy that they then built and painted but you wouldn't qualify for any prizes that way unless the winner chose to give it to you.
Just give it your all and we'll notice ;).

Monkeywiz
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey no problem, I figured that would probably be the case, but thought it was worth a shot ;) , as the saying goes, 'you don't ask, you don't get' :p

I'll likely be casting a few copies of my finished sculpt, that'll give me a few to practice on at least, and maybe to customize a little, and whichever turns out least bad I'll enter :D

AOJ
02-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi, new member down here :D

Wile visiting Codyscoop I found his entry about the contest, and I could not resist the emotion. I didn't know about this community, and it's great to know there's more people working on figures (apart from Cody and me xDDD).

I do have some questions about contest rules ... because my lack of English language knowledge :rolleyes:

When you say "you may only enter figures you personally built and painted.", what does exactly mean? Only original figures sculpted by yourself, or this "built" means only "assembled"?

In other words, it's possible to enter the contest with a resin kit (bought) that I will assemble and paint? In that case, modifications are accepted?

This will clarify the work :D. I'm a novice (only 2 figures done ever), and I'm a little scared of entering the contest with a somewhat ridiculous work xD

Cya.

BTW: I've made some spam of the contest in my website (http://www.efecte-d.com), I think it deserves it ^_^

Dr.H
02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi AOJ and welcome to GKJ. You're right about "build" it does mean assemble. People are allowed to enter original sculpts but most will enter bought kits. As long as you put it together and paint it by yourself, you may enter it in the contest. ;)
I'll add the word "assemble" to the thread.

FilmMkr
02-23-2007, 08:51 AM
In other words, it's possible to enter the contest with a resin kit (bought) that I will assemble and paint?
Yes, you may enter the contest with a kit that you purchase, assemble, and paint.

In that case, modifications are accepted?
Yes, modifications are accepted and encouraged.

Welcome to Garage Kit Japan!

Filmy

Masa
02-24-2007, 08:24 AM
BTW: I've made some spam of the contest in my website (http://www.efecte-d.com), I think it deserves it ^_^

Hi AOJ,
Thanks for the mention on your website! Wow, now we've gone international :D Please spread the word to all your model making friends too!

And a big welcome to the forum! ::thumb

Masa

AOJ
02-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi all!

Thanks for your replies :D. Now I don't have any more questions ::thumb. I hope this contest will get lots of participants from all the world, and we will be able to see some master pieces :hehe: (sounds stupid, this will mean less chances to win xDDD)

PD: In fact this site is international, because it's written in English (more or less every websurfer knows english). Lots of japanese garage kit contests are unknown because language barrier :(

Zen-Builder
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
One question.

How are kits being grouped into advanced and beginners class?

Do we do that ourselves on entering or is it done by the judges?

Also what is the criteria that seperates a beginners kit from an advanced kit?

As this will only be my 5th kit I don't want to be thrown into the advanced groups with people who have a lot more experience and skill than me.

Masa
03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi Zen,

From the front page: "You are allowed to pick the class that you feel most suits you. We know some of you may have been building garage kits for years but feel that your skills are still at a basic level, while some of you may have been building for less than a year but are very artistic and have advanced at a rapid pace. So feel free to place yourself in the appropriate category, and the Judges will make any placement changes that we feel are necessary."

There are always exceptions to the rule (modelers who have built 100's of mecha and scale models, but only 5 figure kits, might still be placed in the advanced category due to skill level and experience) and we will contact the member and discuss any changes that may be needed.

So, if you feel that your entry is still a beginner level, please enter in that category. And above all, remember to have lots of fun ;)

Dr.H
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
One question.

How are kits being grouped into advanced and beginners class?

Do we do that ourselves on entering or is it done by the judges?

Also what is the criteria that seperates a beginners kit from an advanced kit?

As this will only be my 5th kit I don't want to be thrown into the advanced groups with people who have a lot more experience and skill than me.

We separate the beginner and advanced classes by skill level. You are allowed to enter which class you feel suits your skill level most. If we feel someone is to advanced for the beginner class or not skilled enough for the advanced class we will move the figure into the most appropriate class. So just enter where you feel comfortable k ;) .

Dr.H
03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
lol it looks like Masa was replying at the same time and beat me to it :P.

Zen-Builder
03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks, for the clarification.

Must have overlooked that section of the contest rules. :(

Zen-Builder
03-07-2007, 01:09 AM
One final question about the contest.

Is the contest open only to Anime/Japanese kits or can we enter any figure kit?

Masa
03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Hi Zen,

For this contest - we would prefer to keep the focus on anime and manga related figure garage kits from Japan. We have discussed plans to include other genres as well as scale and vehicle categories in future contests if we feel there is enough interest to justify the additions.

We do appreciate all the questions and suggestions from members and will strive to make this and future events as fun and enjoyable as we can :)

Zen-Builder
03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Masa.

Thanks, for the clarifiaction and expected as much. Was just wondering as I have got 2 finished US G-Kits.

Looking forward to the inclusion of Mecha Kits.

FilmMkr
03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
So, we are now a little over a month into the GKJ contest and my curiosity is killing me. How many of you have started your contest entry? What are you working on? :hubba:

I think it would be cool if everyone who is building for the contest start a WIP thread for your entry so we can see what you've done, and - for those of you who would care to ask - offer ideas and tips to help you along. Come on now, don't be shy!

Monkeywiz
03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
That's a great idea, I need to get a bit further along making my figure first though I think, as I haven't decided yet if I'm going to enter that or start a new one, although with time constraints and the fact I still have to learn to paint I might already have my answer there :p

Dr.H
03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I think FilmMkr has a great idea there! If your making a new kit or have work photos of the one your entering, we would love to see them.
Plus he has a good point in that it would be beneficial to you to start a wip because you could use it to get pointers from people as you build the kit and that could help you get one step closer to one of the prizes :)
Everyone still have a 1/2 year until the deadline so don't get yourself stuck by starting a new kit in August unless you can handle it. ;)

Zen-Builder
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I have started on my entries and should be able to start a WIP process either this weekend or next week.

bhop
03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey, this sounds cool.. Count me in for sure. I'll be building 1/6 or larger, but I dunno what yet.. :doh:

windsword
04-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Um, what if Garage kit figure based on japanese game (RPG)? I'm working on Children of Mana character (Tamber, if i'm not mistake her name). Is this okay?.

Dr.H
04-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Welcome to GKJ windsword.
:) Sure that character would be fine. Any "figure" garage kit based on the Japanese "anime/manga" style of art is welcome to enter the contest. That includes the game characters from Japanese based game design ;).

Monkeywiz
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
So does that mean the model I mention here would or wouldn't be eligible?

http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=467

It is definitely in the Japanese Manga/Anime style, and the original artist is partly influenced by that, but has no other connections than that (although the character has spent time in Japan and can speak Japanese if you read the web-comic :p )

I understand if it stray's too far from the spec to be considered, it will (hopefully) give me the impetus to start one of the other characters I've been wanting to try for a while.

Dr.H
04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
That kit is fine also Monkeywiz ;) It's the style of the kits we're looking for not a specific connection to any game, show or book.

To be more specific the style garage kits we're not looking for in "this" contest is the American style which is commonly based on U.S. movies, TV and comics which look more realistic vs the Japanese style which is closer to the anime cartoon art style.

Monkeywiz
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
That's great, cheers for the fast and concise response :) , I've no excuse now, I'd best try and put some time in finishing it off and then learning how to paint it :D

Spearfrost
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
So, we are now a little over a month into the GKJ contest and my curiosity is killing me. How many of you have started your contest entry? What are you working on? :hubba:

I think it would be cool if everyone who is building for the contest start a WIP thread for your entry so we can see what you've done, and - for those of you who would care to ask - offer ideas and tips to help you along. Come on now, don't be shy!

Well you pretty much covered the question I was goin to ask. Because in other contests I've been in, they did not allow entrants to posts any part of their works nor final complete piece elsewhere in the forum or it would have not be eligible for entry.

Which brings me to another question. Obvisously one person are allowed more than one entries in diferent categories,but, can we enter in the same category with more than one model kits? (with different models of course)

Example: Armature category >> 1/6 scale or larger >> 1st model: 1/6 Reith & 2nd Model: 1/6 Original.

No harm in asking....? :sweat:

Dr.H
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Spearfrost
You are allowed to enter any number of kits into any of the categories so feel free ;).

FilmMkr
05-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello boys and girls! We are now a little over three months from the contest deadline, just about fourteen weeks away. That time will fly faster than you think!

Don't forget, there are a lot of really sweet prizes for the winners - original kits, an airbrush, a photo booth, and lots of other goodies. This is not some dinky little contest with $10 gift certificates!

So, how about a show of hands - how many of you have started your contest entry? How far along are you? How about an update on where you stand as of this weekend? Come on now, don't be shy!

::thumb ::thumb ::thumb

AOJ
05-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, I started a new kit of Tina Armstrong from Dead or Alive videogame series a month ago. Now I just finished the second round of sanding and primming and I think it looks ready to paint :)

It's a pretty simple kit, but I'll be entering in the contest with it, along with my nearly finished Vash the Stampede kit :D

I'll try to make a WIP post, trough I feel a bit ashamed of publishing a WIP of my work after looking at some other member's kits >_<

BTW, nice new avatar FilmMkr :D~~

thor777
05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
My 1st entry and my very 1st GK (hopefully I'll get 2 kits done before deadline) is the sitting Lynn Minmay. WIP here (http://gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=456). Prep work done, starting painting process.

Murfle
05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I started shortly after the contest was announced... However, I was getting discouraged since my paints weren't showing up. I paid for 4-6 week shipping, and after 3 months, I started to lose hope... They showed up a few days into month 3, so I've only picked up again... Still in the first sanding phase :(

I was hoping to have two done, but that seems unlikely now

Monkeywiz
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
I started again last Monday (it was a rain soaked public holiday so seemed like the perfect opportunity) but as I'm trying to sculpt a piece first before I paint it, and decided when I picked it up again the other day to actually make a different character than the one I began with I might not get to the painting stage in time to finish before the deadline :unsure:

I'll post some more progress pics in the original model section in a few weeks anyway.

Whilst I'm here I have another quick question about the rules (sorry if this one has already been mentioned and I missed it). It states that photo's should be completely unaltered to be eligible, but does this even include just altering the brightness of a dark pic as long as there's no 'touching-up'?

Dr.H
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm glad everyone is on their way with their contest entries :D .

Whilst I'm here I have another quick question about the rules (sorry if this one has already been mentioned and I missed it). It states that photo's should be completely unaltered to be eligible, but does this even include just altering the brightness of a dark pic as long as there's no 'touching-up'?

Since Filmy is our pro photo guru here I'll let him feel this one out. ;) In reality you should have proper lighting set up so that the photos look bright and clear but I can see if a lower quality camera is all one has available and you don't have any extra lighting that could be a problem..
You can pick up light cans at your local hardware store relatively cheaply but the problem is finding bulbs of the proper color temp for your camera since alot of photo grade light bulbs require a ballasts and power supplies. A coiled florescent bulb might work best for the cost, something with a color temp around 5500k.
We really could use a tutorial on making a low cost photo set-up that most model builders could afford to make.

Joa
05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
We really could use a tutorial on making a low cost photo set-up that most model builders could afford to make.

That's en excellent idea, and with that .. over to Filmmkr with his "Shooting your kits for Dummies" section of the show. ;)

Dr.H
05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
I just simplified the photo entry by adding a new members subcategory section under the contest section in the Gallery.
Anyone can start their own member category for their contest entry photos here: http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=93&userid=
By just uploading a photo into the above category link, a new member subcategory will automatically be created for you to upload your photos into.

FilmMkr
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey peeps -

I'm kinda swamped at the office right now, but I will put together a post over the weekend that explains the basics of digital shooting on a budget.

If you want the big boy version, you'll have to wait for the DVD. :devil: (Actually, we are going to make a shorter version available on the website too, so hang in there!)

Filmy

Dr.H
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Sounds great Filmy Thanks!! ::thumb

thor777
06-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I used this tutorial from GameraBaenre to build my own very inexpensive light box:

Tutorial (http://www.gamerabaenre.com/lightbox.htm)

I use two swing-arm lamps with daylight blubs to light the box. You can see the results from the Lynn Minmay photos posted in the WIP in the Garage Kits section. Hope this helps.

Dr.H
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks to an email from another member I found that there was a slight issue with certain members being able to upload their photos into the GKJ Gallery.
Members who have not yet passed the Promotions System (http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=318) to become full members do not have access to up-load into the GKJ Gallery.
You may fix this by making a few post on the forum to become a full member, which is highly recommended or you may tell me when you email me your entry form photo that you are not a full member yet and need access to the Gallery. I will then alter you account to provide this.

taggor
06-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I was just wondering if the contest entries should be supported by a bit of text related to the kit. Such things like who took the photo and maybe a little "blurb" about materials used to build the kit. For instance... The Griffon Ent. Ryofu Housen kit that I built was my second kit to complete. I needed to scratch build the spear shaft because the one that came with the kit was sorely warped and unusable. I decided to dress it up a bit with thread that I used for the handle wraps. All of the photos were taken by myself with a Sony 8.1 megapixl cybershot camera in my hobby room using natural light and one artificial light source. My goal for this kit was just to finnish it without attempting any advanced painting techniques.... This kit drove me CRAZY!:hubba: Just thought I would ask. But then again they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words and I don't have that kind of time!

Dr.H
06-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to tell us about the kit(s) they are entering. While it is not required to enter a kit you may tell us about your entry here or even better start a new thread about the kit with some pictures in the forum ;).

Chev
07-16-2007, 11:30 PM
hello everbody, I was wanting to join this contest (kinda pressed for time :D ) but when I click on the Authorization Form part it does not work for me. Is there another way around this?

Thank you for reading this,
Chev aka MillerAK from the other hobby forums

Dr.H
07-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Welcome Chev. After you make one more post and it is verified you will have access to the gallery features ;).

rockmanzero
07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi,
Got a question, as stated before this is a GK & scratchbuilt contest. But i'm wondering if customized action figure allowed in this contest?
To be precise i've built a poseable figure (base figure: SOTA street fighter) all joints still works is this allowed for the contest? or only for the statue (non poseable)?

thx

Dr.H
07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi rockmanzero.
This being out first big contest we are testing it out with only anime style Japanese garage kits.
If all goes well this year then expect to see a lot more categories and prizes next year ;).
We would still love to see your customized action figure so don't hesitate to start a thread in the figures section.

ronaldon
09-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Dooh, i'm too late joining this forum if not i'll join the contest too. Is there any hint when the next contest will be held? Not until next year i hope

Dr.H
09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Hi ronaldon
We're not sure when we will hold another model contest just yet but we always have something going on so keep an eye out ;).