View Full Version : Hello everyone!

03-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Hiyas everyone!

I'm new around here. I'm very excited to run across these forums, I have never put a gk together (though I own a couple, still all parts) I actually bought them to referance for sculpting. I really really really want my sculptures to resemble the beauty of an anime gk. This is the first place I have found where I have actually seen people sculpting them. I have loads of questions about all this, I can't wait to get started browsing around and getting to know everyone.

03-18-2007, 11:45 PM

03-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Yay another one dabbling in sculpting. Can't wait to see what you plan on working on :keke:

Feel free to ask any questions and we'll answer them the best we can.

03-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Personally, I would take a lot of pics of those kits unassembled and than build them.

03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Thank you everyone!!

build them?..:blink: Oh my! (so new to me)

Arieanna I was really impressed with your Sailor Cosmos (love sailormoon myself) infact my first anime sculpting attempt will be a sm character, Sailor Iron Mouse. (Sculpting part is pretty easy for me, except for hair, I still cannot get the hair)

I also wish to make my sketches and drawings. I love the Idea of casting them in resin and having a totally smooth version of my art to put together and paint as I see fit... but this method.. this all soooo new to me, I think Zen-Builder may have it.. I need to put mine together and get a feel for it.

03-20-2007, 05:23 AM
I think doing one kit will give you a better understanding on how a kit comes together and what you need to look out for during the sculpting process(like parts breakdown, etc.)

Personally, I have build quiet a few kits, but don't have the nerve to start a sculpt.

But than those are just my .2yen (Inflation adjusted) of course.

03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
cant wait to see how you go about doing Iron Mouse. Her and her other counterparts (Lead Crow, ect. ) are on my "eventually i want to get to dong them" list. lol

Have you thought about what medium you want to use yet?

I've tried regular sculpy. stay away from that one unless you like working with something that has the texture of warm bread dough. lol. I haven't used Super Sculpy but a lot of people use it and get some great results. I've found I love the paper clays. they have some great properties and are lightweight yet strong enough to be able to take qite a bit of abuse or hold some weight.

And definately would like to see some of your drawings. :)

03-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Welcome to GKJ.

03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
my prefered medium is polymer clay. ATM I'm using prosculpt (as I have tons of it from a botched deal with another artist) I prefer the sculpey premo... I leach the clays to get the consistancy I like.

What do most use? There was a link I followed from this forum

Is that an airdry clay used to make these figures? Why are they grey before the mold is made? (can't get any translators to work)

LOL I'm gonna take you up on the "Feel free to ask any questions and we'll answer them the best we can." thing lol.. I'll browse around some more and start another post ... I want to get started on Iron Mouse and my bluehaired bath girl :D

03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Is that an airdry clay used to make these figures? Why are they grey before the mold is made? (can't get any translators to work)

The material that they use is polyester putty or polly putty for short. It's a two part putty that has a base and a hardener that you mix together to use. For anyone else who might be reading this... It seems to work better for sculptors who use a subtractive method (where you take material away from a block or general shape) versus those who utilize an additive method (where the figure is built up from the inside out). If you are an "additive" sculptor, you will probably fare better with polymer and paper clays.

The grey color is primer. They use it to find imperfections in the prototype and it also serves as a protective layer when casting the molds.

03-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow THanks Masa!! I'm an additive kinda gal!! I can however learn to subtract!! My plans for now are wire armatures for parts that need to stick out covered with apoxie clay. I'm gonna get started and hopefully in a day or so have a wip to post (If my one yr old will allow it).