PDA

View Full Version : How do you pay for YJA using a North American credit card?

serogane
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
As you may all know, it was WHF a few days ago, and a lot of new kits have been popping up on YJA. After spending 200+ dollars on YJA agents, I figured "Hell I need to do this myself", which I did by going after ones that will ship oversea. But thanks to my lack of research beforehand, I now have 4 won auctions that I don't know how to pay for. Worse, there are language barriers as well, so it's very hard to convey the problem to them using half-assed Japanese from translation sites.

Here's the thing: YJA wants you to enter your credit card name in katakana, which I attempted to do; but since it's not my name as shown exactly on the card, it failed the authorization test.

I don't really want to send an international money order, since it'll take way too long.

I'm currently looking at bank to bank transfers, but I don't know if Yaho 簡単payment will allow it. I might have to go to the bank personally and do this.

Can somebody help me out?

David_Chiu
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM
"You can't."

Zen-Builder
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
What do you mean WHF was a few days ago. It is TOMORROW and I will be attending.

Unless the GKJ calendar is wrong and me and my friend will stand in front of closed doors.

Zen-Builder
05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
I assume you got the japanese entry system installed on your PC and you know some basic japanese including Hirakana and Katakana.
Even though you will struggle to get the transaction to work, IMHO as the reading will differ.

IMO's are a great way for paying/getting paid, been using them a lot.
Paypal might not be accepted by many auctioneers.
Bank-to-Bank transfers are pricey and take a lot of time and hassles.

As for using translation sites for comunication, DON'T.
Most of the guys at work either enter english or japanese text just to get a laugh at what it gets translated to.
At best you will get the basic meaning across but nothing more.
Better to send the e-mail in plain and simple easy to understand english.

Most of the japanese I know will ditch e-mails that were obviously written by a translating software.

IMO, your best bet will be using the services, as those are japanese that know how to get around small problems/obstacles. It's their business afterall.

HTH.

serogane
05-04-2007, 03:51 AM
David: Yeah I know. I just found out through the website that they don't accept American cards.

http://payment.yahoo.co.jp/guide/info/cc_bank_list.html

Zen: Oh, according to the Vispo website, there's a 4/30 神戸WHF and a 5/5 有明WHF. I was referring to the 4/30 one.

Zen: I'm able to enter Japanese. That's not a problem in itself.

This translator actually works pretty well. It gets my point across when the Japanese is too hard for me to come up with. (http://tool.nifty.com/globalgate/)

I sent an e-mail to the guy who I won 3 items from, in plain English, and he hasn't gotten back to me all day. It doesn't look like he wants to deal with it, so I resent one back in broken Japanese.

International money orders eh? Looks like it will be my last resort, as the bank-to-bank option isn't looking too hot.

Um, how do you say international money order in Japanese? Is it 郵便振替?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

Masa
05-04-2007, 04:26 AM
FYI... WHF Kobe was last weekend, WHF Ariake is this weekend.

A United States IPMO (International Postal Money Order) is what most of the experienced sellers who sell overseas accept for buyers from the United States. Just in case you are thinking about sending one from your local post office, last time I checked, Canadian International Postal Money Orders could not be cashed at Japanese Post Offices - something about them not being in the same International Postal Association. If they aren't set up to accept Paypal, you aren't going to be able to send them a payment unless you can get someone you know from the US or another "Postal Association compatible" country to send an IPMO.

国際郵便為替
is the kanji for IPMO.

serogane
05-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Masa: Oh man, thank you so much for telling me this. It would've been a great hassle if the international postal money order couldn't be deposited.

(国際郵便為替? Thanks.)

Yeah, I doubt I can get a US international postal money order from a Canadian bank (Or any other Postal association compatible ones for that matter of fact).

I'll try Paypal; but I'm not optimistic about them having an account.

Zen-Builder
05-04-2007, 06:39 AM
I had the same problem with Australian Money Orders.
They wouldn't even look at them.

As for slow e-mail responses it is Golden Week and most of the japanese population is on the road.
Major traveling time in japan.
3-days off, 2-days work and 4-days off, most people take the 2 days off for a long vacation.

HTH.

serogane
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Zen: I see, no wonder. Well, the one who wouldn't reply finally got back to me an hour ago:

Yahoo!かんたん決済可能です。
送料ですがEMS,船便どちらにしますか??

I'm not 100% sure what he wants. If he's sending through EMS, what's the sea mail all about?

Masa
05-05-2007, 01:49 AM
The seller said they can accept Yahoo Easy Payments (the one that won't take your credit card :sweat: ) and that shipping is up to you - EMS or by slow boat (which can take 3 months or longer).

serogane
05-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks Masa. To tell the truth, I've been putting off my attempts to pay thanks to a busy day and my own laziness, but I'll get to it very soon.

Options:

1) Bank to bank
2) IPMO
3)Paypal

Gonna try them all.