PDA

View Full Version : Excellent report on the WF phenomenon

Joa
06-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDXfN5cxMA) a Very nice report on the WF phenomenon, helpful especially for ppl who don't know anything about the GK scene.

If anything, I'll be sure to pass this to ppl who look like question marks when I describe the width of my hobby.. ^^

Masa
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Bookmarked! ::thumb

FilmMkr
06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I've seeen that piece - it is very well done. Apparently there are a series of episodes for NHK International, all done in English, called Tokyo Eye. They cover all sorts of stuff otaku and tourist-related.

This is not Tokyo Eye, but shows what it was like when the doors opened when my son and I were there in August:

WF Summer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5QZNjCRFk)

We shot something similar with Austin's digital camera - it was craaaaaazy!

We were already inside the vendor room (press passes, heh) when suddenly everything went very still and quiet. Everybody stopped walking and moving and froze in position. We thought they were going to say a prayer or play the Japanese national anthem or something. Then suddenly a chime started going off and the next thing you know - pandemonium!

That link Joa posted makes me want to go back SOOOOO bad! :wub: :wub:

serogane
06-14-2007, 01:04 AM
This is awesome; more news coverage for the WF the better.:D

Man, what a thing to see when you've never been to one or can't afford to go (Me).:doh:

Zen-Builder
06-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Hate to be the sound of reason.
While I like those shows not too much fun when you are on the ground.
You get bumped, pushed, stepped on, etc and often miss the last kit because someone simply gets in the way, etc.

Yeah, a lot of fun but be prepared to be tackled like an american football player, etc.
Never mind trying to find a dealer table on your wanted list.

Said that looking forward to Summer WF.

blade_runner
06-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Well, even if this clip doesn't show all the goal line stand hitting, it's still a good look inside the realm of WF. There looks like enough impact and calmness where the host went to show the creator's angle, not just the buyer's.

Hey Filmy! How excited are you to go back? Are you going again? I remember you mentioned that you'd love to get back and do it all over again. Gonna come true?

Man, I'd love to go. I don't mind the pushing around. I've been whacked by enough hockey pucks. Running otaku? Childsplay!

Lumraptor
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I have a VHS tape of an early WF, probably 1989 -1990. The cassette is broken and doesn't play, but I had the presence of mind to not throw it away.
I'm wondering if there are repair services that can repair the cassette and then transfere the video to a DvD?

MidZ
06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, great find. Never realized that WF can be so hectic. They actually running inside to queue (a long one too) to buy a figure. Talk about determination!

Drantin
06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Lumraptor,
You can try it yourself with a small screwdriver and the case from another cassette.
Just be sure to wear latex gloves or be really careful not to touch the magnetic strip to much...

Then any of the normal VHS-DVD services out there should be able to help.