View Full Version : Let's Hula! (very slight nudity)

07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Greetings All.

I’ve been keeping busy lately; perhaps too busy.

I have a million figures I want to build but I think I’ve gotten lazy. It takes me months to complete a figure at a level that I’m satisfied with.

It’s starting to not be fun anymore...

so I’ve taken a bit of a break from kits and started focusing on drawing and painting.

I can paint a deck in one to three weeks and its fun. I’ll get back into kits after awhile but I just needed a break I guess.

Anyway, Miho called me tonight and suggested I post some images of my current project so here it is. (Thanks for calling Miho! You're the best! ;) )

This is still a W.I.P. but I hope to finish it over the 4th of July holiday.

My mind said “Let’s Hula” so there you go!

Initial sketches:

Transferring image onto prepared deck surface:

Maple deck is sealed with multiple layers of amber lacquer and a gold micro flake sunburst. The transferred sketch is barely visible:

Base coated with translucent white; the original pencil transfer and wood grain are still slightly visible through the paint:

C/C always welcome but if you’re really, really mean I’ll probably run off and cry: okay not really. Thanks for looking.

07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Quick update: It’s been too humid to paint so I fired up the A/C in the shop to dry things out: I’ve been rather anxious to paint. Got the flesh tones blocked out last night after the girls went to bed. Sorry for the bad pics: it was about 02:30 when I shut things down.

Everything covered in frisket: I really hate using frisket.

Translucent base tone

Translucent mid tones and shading

Translucent final tone and shading

Unmasked: No frisket failures or overmist boo-boos to repair.

Thanks for looking. C/C always welcome.

07-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey! Where've you been? I met Miho in Louisville (and Lumraptor, too!) and we had a ball. Were your ears burning?

The decks look awesome! I love the original sketch, and I know that the finished product will look even better!

Don't be such a stranger! (Maybe you'll get a call from your neighbor to the south real soon.) :D

07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Cool stuff :)

I'm patiently waiting for "Let's Rock" ;)

07-05-2007, 01:02 PM
That's cool. Ok, I know I'm being a huge loser right now, but is that a deck for a skateboard? I always heard my students talking about their "decks" so I'm assuming that's what it is (plus it looks like one). Please help...LOL.

07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Yes, that is a skateboard deck, but I'll bet your students were talking about something of theirs that's a little, um, smaller. :rolleyes:

07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Gorgeous! =)

Reminds me of the Hula girl Crea is working on (http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=371) ... well, it's in a cupboard in my hobby room right now, but eventually he'll get it done ;)

07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the compliments and kind words. I’ve been able to get a lot of work done over the past couple of days; barring a painting boo-boo or frisket failure I should have this deck finished before the weekend is over (We get a 5 day weekend over the 4th this year woot!) The biggest problem now is the humidity;
I’m waiting for things to dry out enough to shoot a clear coat. I’ll post a progress pic later today or tomorrow; if I don’t soon I’ll have to post a completed pic O_o

FilmMkr: thanks man. Are you getting any of this crazy rain in Houston? It’s rained here EVERY day for a month or more and most of them have been heavy, torrential downpours. 114 went underwater a week ago and most of the non-freeway roads running East West (think getting out of Dallas at the end of the day) collect water up to the curb tops after about an hour or two of rain. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Oh well, our house is on high ground and the yard is greener than it has ever been since we moved in so who am I to complain?

Masa: Thanks. Hmm… That gives me an idea…

Willow: Thanks. Yes, I am painting skateboards: mostly standard sized decks. I tend to buy Powell Mini-Logo decks 8.5” x 32” because it makes for a nice sized “canvas” but I have a few projects that I’m going to paint on a Long Board. Those are typically about 9.5” – 10.0” in width and anywhere from 39” to 60” or longer. The cool thing about Long Boards is that they look like a ½ sized surfboard. BTW: Who’s the so-called loser here? The lady who doesn’t know what a deck is or the 40+ year old husband and dad who is recovering from a concussion from riding decks like a Tony Hawk wannabe? :doh: LIVE TO SKATE! SKATE TO LIVE! Err yeah, whatever… My head hurts.

Joa: Thanks. The link you included is very cool. I’d buy that kit but the casting comments put me off. I guess I’ll have to kit bash something later when I finally get back to the build table.

07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Dude, we are getting PUMMELED! Right this very minute the rain is torrential - we're thinking of resorting to ordering $20 pizzas so my employees don't starve to death!

Speaking of humidity interfering with paint, all this rain is messing up my latest WIP, too:

. . . . but instead of paint, we can't finish the stucco!

07-06-2007, 07:59 PM
More w.i.p...

...still have a little airbrushing and a lot of pinstriping yet to go.

07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm loving this board Red! It's looks like you took WWII bomber nose art and put it on a modern item :P. She's uber sexy :drool: .

07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
It's looks like you took WWII bomber nose art and put it on a modern item

Couldn't agree more ..

I totally love this very Arielle-esque (©Disney) WWII bomber take on a Hula gurl! :D

07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I totally love this very Arielle-esque (©Disney) WWII bomber take on a Hula gurl! :D

Thanks guys.

It's funny that you mention that since our house is full of disney crap (my daughter is 3-1/2). I'm sure there's a subliminal influence more than I realize since the Disney princess stuff is everywhere! :blink:

But the truth be told I was really more inspired by the work of Bruce Tim, Dean Yeagle, Rion Vernon and Shane Glines: they are the masters and a huge inspiration :bow:

BTW: Attached a great Arielle fan art I love...

07-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Another great project in the works. :keke:

I love the depth to the colors and girl. Looking forward to seeing her done :)

07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
My hula deck is finished and it took a lot longer to complete than I thought it would, nevertheless it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

My own crits are as follows:

1. I need to practice drawing and sketching more. I can’t draw hands well at all: is it obvious?

2. I’m going to do more contrast with the flesh tones on my next painting. I’m satisfied with the mid tones and the highlights but I think that the dark tones could use more range. Curiously enough, they were darker when I shot them but after the flesh tones cured for a day or so they lightened up. I’ll slightly over compensate for that next time and see if it helps.

3. I’m going to use a slightly narrower palette next time: I think that the overall color range may be too colorful. Perhaps more flesh tone contrast would have helped pull it together.

4. I rushed the pin striping on the letters because my back started to hurt. As a result they got inconsistent. Next time I’ll put it down for the night.

Overall I’m pleased with the results. It’s my third deck and I think I can apply the lessons learned here for a better effort next time.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

Over all

07-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Dude - that rocks! It looks like a commercially available product. Since you already pre-critiqued any slight problems already... there's not really anything to nitpick. Stellar job! The lei turned out fantastic. It would almost be a shame to mount hardware on the board and cover it up :)

08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
It came out SUPER great red!! I think with your art style a Dean Yeagle type board would look sweet from you.
I think her lines look perfect, I'm not a huge fan of the lettering but I really like the color are art fill in them.

09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
This is completely cool! Nice airbrushing skills ^o^

Man you must treat your deck with lots of care! It will be a real shame to see the painting scratching because improper skating skill ... I think this deck deserves to be taken care like a trophy :D

09-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words. This deck happily resides on the wall over my model building area along with two other “pin-up” art decks I’ve painted. I have eight more skateboard blanks and two picture rails for the opposite wall.

All of these decks will be displayed as objects rather than built-up for skating.

I’ll probably paint the two long boards I ride but I won’t spend more than an afternoon on those.

Best Regards,