PDA

View Full Version : Anime you like.

Zen-Builder
08-08-2007, 01:28 AM
How about sharing what type of anime you like and why.

Before I post the ones I like, here is a flash from the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At2FdwQd4rI&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJg0SJRASY&mode=related&search=

Joa
08-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Though I can enjoy my fair share of cuteness and laughs (Mahoromatic, Chobits, Tenchi etc), I tend to enjoy darker, more serious ones, such as:

Texhnolyze
Boggiepop Phantom
Lain
GITS:SAC
Rahxephon
Gasaraki
Escaflowne
Evangelion
..Everything by Satoshi Kon
..Nearly all Ghibli Movies (well, who doesn't love those?)

As for genres, I have no boundaries... =)

serogane
08-08-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm waiting for an opportunity to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Kai.

Zen-Builder
08-08-2007, 04:45 AM
List (part 1 ) in no order:

Angels Egg
Memories
Votoms
Dougram
Ideon
Mospeada
Gasaraki
Southern Cross
Dr. Slump & Arare-chan
Akira
Spriggan
Betterman
Gegege no Kitaro
GTO
Neo ranga
Freedom
Denshi Mamotte Shugo-Getten
Jigoku Sensei Nube
Crayon Shin-Chan
Aka-chan to Boku
Maison Ikkoku
Sazae-San
Ata-shin-chi
Patlabor
Jin Roh
Stratos 4
Cyberteam in Akihabara
Utena
Space Pirate Mito
Silent Moebius
Ao no 6 go
Gunbuster(Gainax bounce) & Diebuster
Otaku no Video
Battle Athletes
Saber Marionette
and many more.

More to come, got a few more in mind but can't recall names right now.
Just too much anime, I got 4 channels that show reruns 24/7, plus all the new stuff to keep up with.

Dr.H
08-08-2007, 06:09 AM
:P I'm a fanservice man myself lol. While I do like the dramatic and artistic animes at time such as Hayao Miyazaki's work, I tend to be up for the comedies/sci-fies with a little boing.

I have over 100 anime dvd's and tons of fansubs I've watched, I'll list my favs later since I have to be on a plane in a couple of hrs ;).

I really like this topic!

WarpCore
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I would have to say, hmmmm....

Ghost in the Shell.. It reminds me of a rpg I use to play called Shadow run for some reason. I guess the cybernetics.

Robotech.. Started watching it years ago when it first came to the states.

Record of Lodos Wars.. Probably my favorite classic D&D in Anime style.

Witch Hunter Robin

Blood+

I am sure there will be more,

WarpCore

taggor
08-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Great topic! I can't submit my list today but, I will sure want to be in on this thread. As for the "Why I like them" part... well, how much time do you have.... Hahhah

Dr.H
08-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok now that I'm back home I can go over some of my dvd collection :p .
Most of what I list I have the complete collections of. My dvd collection has pretty much stopped dead a few of years ago. More money went to kits and a house instead and I started watching fansubs since the market of anime movies here kind of died.

Ai Yori Aoshi - I have all the U.S. realeases plus all the Japanese with the box sets and eppisode zero from season 1 and 2.
Divergence Eve Collection - I also have the first Japanese boxset but it didn't make a lick of sense till I found out it starts off towards the end..
Vandred - All of season one and two.
Saber Marionet J - Ultimate collection with all of J and J to X
Somedays Dreamers
Burn Up W and Burn Up Excess
Hand Maid May
Otaku no Video - not a great movie but a classic laugh for our hobby.
Steel Angel Kurumi - Season one and two.
Sakura Diaries
Graves of Fireflies
G.I.T.S
Miyazaki's films.
Bastard!!

OK while some of those were mild fanservice, most were what I call romantic sci-fi ;)
My guilty pleasure Fanservice animes would be.

GeoBreeders
Angel Links
Goldenboy
Photon
Variable Geo
Demon Hunter Kocho
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Fatal Fury
Knights of Ramune
Eiken
Plastic Little - Satoshi Urushihara is one of my favorite artists even if most of his stuff is a bit risky.. :wub:

Those are probably a good list of some of my favorites of the ones I own, not including fansubs I've watched and many which I liked very much.

Masa
08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Studio Ghibli... the end. :D

My all time favorites are still the Miyazaki movies, they are the only anime that I can watch repeatedly and never tire of them.

But since this is just anime we "like" - here are some in no particular order.

Eureka Seven
Blood+
WitchHunter Robin
Keroro Gunso
Airgear
Gantz
Samurai 7
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Getbackers
Blue Dragon
Gurren Laggan
Naruto
Dragonball
Dr. Slump
Hellsing
Ghost in the Shell (and S.A.C.)
Gundam up to 0083
Kimagure Orange Road
Maison Ikkoku
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

xDiscoStu
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
"Anime you like" can be a cataloging word. How about something more focused, like anime you LOVE... couldn't imagine life without viewing it once a year or more...

Into that catagory:
Farewell Yamato movie... the first 2 TV seasons too... and maybe Final Yamato bi-annually - just coz Okita comes back, even if it was a gimmick
Harlock, Arcadia of My Youth (which I purchased for $300 in the old dark days of American fan-dom... middle men and price gouging... *sigh* the good ol days)
Ok, fine... most Matsumoto stuff
Macross Plus and many 1st series Macross episodes... DYRL
Universal Century Gundam series
Many BeBop episodes

...so many more

I think the real ground breaking stuff comes out on schedule about every 5 years... then 2 or 3 come out at the same time.

telemarq
08-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Onegai Sensei- Every guys fantasy: Geek gets the Babe! Actually a nice if implausable story.

Elfen Lied- Uses emotion to tell its characters story. Quite a bit of gore and nudity but very little fanservice. You have to see it to understand.

Tsukikage Ran- Tales of a sake swilling female samurai and her dimwitted martial arts companion. Probably my favorite anime series. (Oh God, now everyone knows I'm a card carrying geek!)

Ghost in the Shell- My first anime, not great but still good.

Appleseed Movie- Super anime in all aspects.

All Satoshi Kon works- The absolute master. Period.

Miami Guns- Satirizes many animes. Enjoyable trying to figure out which ones. Mindless and abundant fan service.

Love Hina- Absolutely ROFLOL funny.

Grave of the Fireflies- Depressing but compelling story and characters.

taggor
08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I have to start with the Anime that got me going. In other words, the anime that got me to purchase the entire series. Other than nostalgia, anime is like music in the sense that there is anime for any kind of mood that you may be into.

My first experience with Anime would be Eva, Vampire Princess Miyu, and the immortal Cowboy Bebop. I still love all three series to this day and watch them. Since I love stories that make you think, Eva was the biggest draw for me as well as thousands of fans. I just wanted to "know" what the hell was going on! Still can't say that I do with certain aspects of the show but, (like for instance, how can Yui's soul be in Eva unit one and Rei at the same time and why does unit 0 go berserk during start up?)that is part of what made it great for me. With Vampire Princess Miyu (TV series) I loved the individual episodes but more so the episode about her past "Once Upon A Time." I haven't seen the OVA's but, I would like to get them. And not to forget the music by Kenji Kawai. With Bebop... well, I loved the overall story arc and the individaul episodes as well. It's a whole package deal to me. And the music by Yoko Kanno, IMO revolutionized the idea of what music can bring to the series as well. I can't think about what Bebop might have been like without Kanno's music. (nor the SAC series)

Dr.H
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I totally forgot about the Appleseed movie. I really liked it.
I bought the first Miame Guns dvd when Animenation was pushing it but I didn't make it through all the episodes on the disk, it's style kind of reminded me of Excel Sage which I didn't like, while I was hoping for more of a Burn-Up.
I haven't seen any of Satoshi Kon's work but I've heard of Tokyo Godfathers. Is his newer movie Paprika any good? it looks interesting.
Lol is it a sin that I've only seen a one partial episode of Cowboy Bebop and Eva on tv?

xDiscoStu
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I've seeing some mentions of the Appleseed movie... now do we mean the CG MOVIE or the original OVA... coz I found the original OVA... disjointed. Oh, and slow... sllllloooooowwwww. Kinda like what happened to the final 2 Dominion Tank Police OVAs. You just feel like there's something that was missed in the story.
First 2 Dominion OVAs: Classic... last 2 eps: Whaaa?!
Appleseed OVA: first 30 min.. eeeehh? Last 30 min: Wha???!!!
Eva first 24 episodes: Rock solid. Last 2: Whaaaa???!!!!

That could be a new category... your favorites that made a left turn to loony or nonsensical-ville after the half-time interval.

& yes, Doc. It is a sin.

taggor
08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I am a bit envious Doc. You can have an entirely new experience if you have only seen bits and pieces of Bebop and Eva. That is.. if you found them interesting to begin with.

I like the Appleseed CG movie myself. I wasn't that taken with the story but, it would foreshadow where Masamune would go with Ghost in the Shell. The CG movie is fantastic with it's art and animation

redrage
09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
My all time favorite movies would be:
Spirited Away
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Howl’s Moving Castle
They’re all great stories and well produced.

Princess Mononoke: :confused: WTF was Hayao Miyazaki thinking?

As far as series go I really like InuYasha because that was always playing on cartoon network at 3:00 a.m. when I would feed my daughter. Say what you will, it’s a sweet story and it’s a bit of nostalgia for me. I like it.

I have ALL 5 of the Speed Racer DVD’s and I still like those too. Got to love 60's anime. Probably more nostalgia on my part.

I bought the first season of Ikki Tousen :doh: mostly for fan service and unfortunately found that the dialogue was so bad I found it unwatchable. I only watched the first disc before I lost interest. So much for fan service…

taggor
09-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Red- I made that mistake with Ikki Tousen myself but, if you are still interested you should check out the manga... LOADS of fan service and story telling. Unfortunately is has the bogus title called Battle Vixens here in the states and it's out by Tokyopop.

Dr.H
09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I think I have the first Ikki Tousen dvd too.. not sure if I even watched much of it. I have the Japanese mangas and one of the Tokyopop ones. Much better than the show.

FilmMkr
09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, I realy dig Ikki Tousen and have all of the episodes. 'Mebbe it helped that I discovered the original GKs before I started watching the anime. Ryofu is a ditz (although I dig the fan service!), but my fave is Mou-chan.

Other anime I like:

Last Exile
Stellvia
Robin, Witch Hunter
Najica
Genshiken
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Howl's Moving Castle

taggor
09-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey Filmaker, I noticed that you put down Genshiken. I happen to like that one myself but, I LOVE Kujibiki Unbalance more. Especially the "recap" episode. All of those cliche's made me laugh. I just don't get Tachibana's charecter though

noiraddict
09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
full metal alchemist
full metal panic! & fmp fumoffu & fmp tsr
eureka seven
azumanga daioh
paniponi dash
noein
abenobashi
flcl
mahoromatic
scrapped princess
hand maid may
gunslinger girl
noir (it was the one that started me down this road)
card captor sakura
angelic layer
all miyazaki
most satoshi kon (haven't seen tokyo godfathers yet)
kino's journey
adventures of the mini goddesses

- darn list is too long!