PDA

View Full Version : Geneon USA to cancel DVD sales

noiraddict
09-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Anybody read this about Geneon?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-26/geneon-usa-to-cancel-dvd-sales-distribution-by-friday

So now it looks like I'm gonna miss the rest of Black Lagoon and Higurashi. :(

nightengale5385
09-29-2007, 12:15 AM
WTF???!!!!! Geneon has the licenses to most of the anime I like and was looking forward to purchasing especially nanoha:( :( :( . Dammit!!!

Chev
09-29-2007, 03:04 AM
WTF???!!!!! Geneon has the licenses to most of the anime I like and was looking forward to purchasing especially nanoha:( :( :( . Dammit!!!

I feel the same way:cry: Damnit Geneon i was really looking forward for Nanoha too:(

Dr.H
09-29-2007, 08:24 AM
What the hell? They distribute most of the good anime in America.. does this mean anime is doing that poorly here?
Now I'm going to have to buy a bunch of dvds if I ever want to see them...

Arieanna
09-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I was kind of wondering if something like this was going to hjappen. few weeks back stopped in one of the music/movie stores in the mall and all their geneon DvDs were buy one get one free. :(

m_candy
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Thats too sad!
I mean it is hard enough to get anything anime related and now they are just making it even harder. Too bad I can't understand Japanese! I better get on that lol

xDiscoStu
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
It's not that anime is doing poorly, I think there was too much product of indiscriminate quality for too small a market to begin with.

What we'll begin seeing is the translation/distribution companies will consolidate more and we'll see that they only bring over home runs, sure fire hits, pre-proven properties and sequels... oh the sequels we will see... volumes of sequels... cascades of sequels... grosses of sequels... wow, sounds like mainstream western cinema and TV.

secretasianman
10-14-2007, 01:59 AM
It's not that anime is doing poorly, I think there was too much product of indiscriminate quality for too small a market to begin with.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I agree, the market feels a tad flooded. When anime started showing up on US video-store shelves it felt like 'pick of the litter' and Project A-ko was in heavy rotation at Blockbuster. Nowadays, an entire aisle at my local Best-BUY ('best' HAH) is dedicated to anime and I pass through considering most 'junk.' I've taken chances/risks on attractively packaged product but often found myself more disappointed than pleased.

xDiscoStu
10-15-2007, 08:49 AM
If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I agree, the market feels a tad flooded.

Xactly... now, what Geneon isn't doing is stopping production of new episodes/series for the US market. What they are doing is trying to unload the money intensive part of the business: production and distribution of DVDs onto someone else, originally ADVision. But apparently their catalog is full of tripe and ADV backed out at the last minute.

Yes, there was a time where the fans only got the cream of the crop... but someone in the back of the auditorium shouted, "MORE!". ...and they gave us more... and it sucked, so we didn't buy it. A few folks new to the whole thing bought a bunch of rotten product, didn't understand it and swore it off as weird. It became a poison pill that the western anime industry swallowed. Now it's shrinking. Hopefully back to where it began, way back in '92.

secretasianman
10-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Now it's shrinking. Hopefully back to where it began, way back in '92.

hopefully this time their titles won't he 'hidden away' in the sci-fi section like the early days or domestic anime retail :p

noiraddict
10-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Just a follow-up from Geneon USA president:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-10-06/geneon-usa-president-and-ceo-sends-message-to-fans/2