View Full Version : Y!J Snipers

11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I have had a suspicion about this for awhile, but have just now seen it happen. I always use SMJ to do my bidding. ( Literally and figuratively, that sounds so evil one day past Halloween! :lol: ) Whenever I bid within 5 minutes before the end of the auction, 5-10 minutes will automatically be added to the time. Here is one that I was watching, but noticed it was sniped, even though he or she was the only bidder.

Note that the auction ends at 23:30 and the bid was placed at 23:29. Is the system adding time to bids from automated bidding services? If I was bidding through my own account (I don't have one) instead of a service, would this allow last second bids?

11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Did you say that the bid time is extended when you bid using SMJ? I've never heard of this before hmm I don't think it's possible. I know a bidding war can happen between two SMJ bidders but it's outside of the YJ system,

11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
That is exactly what I'm saying. I always try to bid within a 5-10 minute window before the end, and it will end on time. Anything less than 5 will bump extra time onto the auction. It has happened to me more than once when I didn't get the bid within that window.

11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
ive heard of this happeneing before. usually its something to do with lag on the bidder's end. for some reason it doesnt register with YJ to bump the time the way its supposed to. so it ends the auction normally even though that bid was made only a minute or so before ending.

11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
It has nothing to do do with SMJ, its a part of the Yahoo Japan auction system. When sellers post items for auction, they can choose to allow "automatic time extensions" which bump the end of auction time everytime the high bidder changes. Supposedly, this was intended to keep snipers from winning by bidding in the last few seconds of the auction with automatic bidding software.

If you want to know if the auction has "automatic time extension" enabled or not, look for this line in the auction description. If you see these words, it means that "auto time extension" is NOT activated and the auction will end on schedule regardless of who bids last.

11-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Thank you, now I know how it works. I guess I was bidding on time extended auctions. I'll check for that in each auction from now on.

11-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Well that seller listed a second kit up for auction again but this time with a buyout price;)

11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I noticed that new listing early this morning. I've seen others do the same, they test the market with the first auction, then see if they can get more on the next. The first auction was re-listed 3 or 4 times before it sold at Y22000. I guess the idea is to nudge the lurkers like myself into thinking "Ouch, I let that first one get away for Y22000, I better snag this one now for Y24800.":doh: