View Full Version : Collaborative art projects - completely gratuitous

11-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Forgive me if this thread is totally gratuitous. I can be rather capricious at times.

Okay, so it’s too cold to paint on figures right now and I want to do a quick project for fun. I’ve got a commissioned illustration that’s in the shop (that I’m currently avoiding) so I need to find something else. That’s when my daughter walks by and says, “We could paint a deck together, you always said we could sometime…”

Ouch. She’s right. Carpe Diem.

A quick mental inventory… I’ve got a really beautiful maple deck that’s prepped for a special project I’m going to do later. Hmmm, this seems pretty special too. What the hell; I can prep another deck later.

We talk about what she wants to paint: Princesses of course :rolleyes: so I photoshop out some ideas and she picks the one she likes best. I suggest we do two images overlaid kind of like a playing card so that either end could be up for switchfoot riders (although it’s not very likely that this board will ever be ridden: it’s going on the wall as art) and so that we can color at the same time. So far so good.

Here’s our concept art:

It occurs to me that she pretty adroit with crayon and marker technology but still learning to watercolor (think Claude Monet meets Jackson Pollack) so we decide on markers: Permanent markers. This is getting sporting indeed.

I do a quick graphite transfer, getting her to help with the taping and pencil selections and then we are off to the races as they say.

I think that the finished deck came out pretty neat. We were both very proud of the finished artwork. It will look nice hanging on the wall with all of the other decks I’ve shot. We can always think back to Thanksgiving 2007 and the deck we did together.

Take chances. You should always make time for a few collaborative art projects along the way; they will help you grow as an artist…

Happy Thanksgiving.

11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
The most important part - as you well know - is the memory of this day that you both will have forever, until the end of time.

By the way, have you seen the latest Airbrush magazine? There is a feature on painting - yep, you guessed it - skate decks. (I saw it in Texas Art Supply yesterday and thought of you immediately.)

Good to hear from you, my friend. I hope you are well.

11-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Excellent stuff, Red, you've shown your versatility in the past and today is again no exception :) I agree with the winter thing. we've already hit '30 by the Great Lakes so my attention has taken another detour to building RC: monster trucks, drift racers and rock crawlers and DAMN it's expensive!

11-25-2007, 10:57 PM
That's too cute :wub:

I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon together ::thumb