PDA

View Full Version : "What did you do today?"

secretasianman
11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
In the interest of creating more activity and drawing more attention to the forums in these slow winter months I decided to create a thread devoted to the mundane. Maybe we do little things: things that don't need to detract from WIPs. things that don't need their own thread. Things you discovered. THings you've bought. Things you've seen on the interweb. Let's call it a catch-all thread devoted to 'general discussion' without spawning short quick discussions that end as quick and disappear into the void.

I'll start. Let's see how far we can take this.

Today I pricked myself while sanding and the prick is deep enough to sting whenever I put pressure on my finger. Although shop rags and masking tape makes a decent bandage, I cut my planned sanding activity short tonight. (My remaining choices were sand clumsy while bandaged or drive resin into the open wound unbandaged. I chose not to sand anymore tonight.)

http://tellyourfriends.org/rider/PB260002.JPG

KrokoHunter
11-27-2007, 03:16 AM
The war against flash and putty, has had too many casualities! :D

Let me see.. Well nothing has really happened here today, since it's morning. But last night, I started cleaning up my hobbyroom. I've made some more shelvespace, and I'm reorganizing all my stuff, plus I've started making a 10$ Lightbox....... oh and blueprints for a new spraybooth!

Masa
11-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear about your injury Secret. Another reminder to all our members to be extra careful around sharp objects (quite a few in our hobby...) :sweat:

Nothing glamorous here... just washed my family's cars this afternoon (of course this means it will rain tonight) and worked on my amp a bit. I need to get the effects loop squared away before our next gig :guitar:

noiraddict
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
I've just been doing the mundane...work. Trying to clean up a little for the holidays.

MidZ
11-28-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm just sculpting my would-be-figure line, for pictures check my blog ;)
Also found Vispo's stash of WIP pictures. Masa, wanna have a look?

Masa
11-28-2007, 03:15 AM
Also found Vispo's stash of WIP pictures. Masa, wanna have a look?

Yes, please :happy:

On a side note:

I went shopping today and was feeling kinda under the weather... late nights, baby crying, hard work schedule, hit points low... hmm... what would Cloud Strife do... you guessed it... POTION!

http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/8/potion.jpeg

I picked up two cans (looks like they aren't distributed in any set order, so the five or so cases on display were filled with Yuffie and Sephiroth cans) - not sure if they are rare or anything, but there was only one can with Aerith on it so I got one of those and one with Tifa, just cuz she's so bada$$ :rockon:

They also had the limited edition set with a can of potion and a mini figure - haven't opened it up yet, but I picked up the Cloud on bike version.

http://www.gkjapan.com/gallery/files/8/potionfigure.jpg

I'm trying to think up more groceries that we might need - so I can go back and buy a few more cans :ninja:

WarpCore
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, Lets see I have been working alot and many irons in the fire so today I got up and took my son to school, returned got comfy, turned off the lights and began to save the planet from locust hordes in Gears of War for x-box 360, returned fixed supper, wait for wife and son to go to bed... put on my armour reload and back into action. lol, thats about it for today. It has been a good day.

KrokoHunter
12-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Well, yesterday I didn't get much done. Didn't feel well, so I had to take the day off. Slept on the sofa most of the day!

However I started the assembly of my first Master Grade Gundam last night... I've already made a dryassembly to figure out the final pose, what to paint before assembly and so on .. but last night I finally glued the first parts... yeaaaahhh ..

secretasianman
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Ran out of cars and trucks to build :blink: and started started putty work on a body-shell.

While the sandpaper was out I worked more on Rider's hair while watching Journeyman. Managed to do 3 more 'strands' during the show.

With one strand left to go I'm close to applying the first guide-coat of filler-primer to begin finer work on smaller things like scratches and invisible perfections.

Masa
12-12-2007, 05:16 AM
Today I made a new "holiday banner" for GKJ - hope you all like it :happy:

xDiscoStu
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Very festive

secretasianman
12-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Today I made a new "holiday banner" for GKJ - hope you all like it :happy:
I love it man, very cute :)

secretasianman
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
*Thread ressurection!*

I paid a visit to Michtoy (http://www.michtoy.com/) today because I need some Apoxie solvent and Apoxie white. During the last year I have not been actively modeling, I have not visited the place despite the fact that it's a mile away and I pass by several times a week on a bike during the summer. What did I discover while I was there? A GSI paint display which wasn't there last year! (No laquers though)

FYI If you're in the Detroit metro area, stop by and support your local hobby shop, they even have a variety Mr, Hobby materials: Mr. Color (aqueous,) Mr. Thinner (aqueous and lacquer,) Mr. Surfacer, Mr. Primer, Mr. Putty, Mr. Masking sol, Mr. Just adhesive, Mr. paint stirrer, Mr. Paint tray, Mr. Paint brush, Mr. Cotton swab and many other things Mr. Marketing may have come up with!

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=165

Tsunamidelta
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Thats really cool!! Too bad no Lacquer though.

serogane
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Went balaying today (did some bouldering as well). It was fun.

Now contemplating whether I should play some more Persona 4.

brebia
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Cool Mr Hobby display! Cannot find Mr Color or Hobby color paints here in England.
But no lacquers? I thought Mr Color were lacquer paints, I'm a bit confused now :unsure:

secretasianman
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
They make lacquer and acrylic. Lacquers make their way into the states through alternate means but only the acrylics are available through retail channels. The employee at the store mentioned something about the lead content being the reason...

Goriyaku
03-10-2009, 12:35 AM
It's well past the holiday, spring will be starting soon. Moved into my new house (I'll post pics one of these days when I find the box my camera software is in) Today, I went to work, fired a girl for stealing :( Went to the Dr. Came home and stood in my new hobby room, impatiently pondering when i'll have time to get all my craft and supplies out. I have to work on my entry for a kit contest :) Happy Spring everyone!

secretasianman
03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I can see the tabletop again!

Today I cleaned the secret lair: organized my tools, stored a lot of RC parts, and trashed a lot of junk. I also dug an old TV out of storage to help pass the time and break the silence. "Just who the hell do you think I am?!" :D

http://www.tellyourfriends.org/rider/secretlair.jpg

secretasianman
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
This weekend, I'm away visiting folks for easter. While there, one of the several joys that await me is seeing an old kit I completed that mom found nice enough to actually want to take from me and put in her cabinet of porcelain collectibles.

Seeing how I've been horrible at taking photos in the past. I've also taken the plunge to purchase a light box and reshoot some of Asuka while here. Unfortunately, the box doesn't come with enough light (two quartz lamps @50W each on 8 inch stands) but the photos are nicer than anything I've taken before.

I think this was the 5th kit I've completed and in retrospect, this is some clean work. The semi-gloss black worked great for satin texture and the flat whites covered the black incredibly well. With the exception of some barely visible masking flaws and the basic eyes, I'm actually proud of the results.

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=243

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=242

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=244

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=245

secretasianman
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm nearing the end of my recovery. I can sleep for more than 4 hours at a time now without exploding into convulsive coughing and my throat is approaching normal levels of dryness.

I bravely ventured into my dusty basement and realized how poorly lit my workroom is. Seeing as I have time, I dragged an unused fluorescent lamp from the garage. The picture doesn't show it because the camera is a silly point-and-shoot but I will say that this is much, MUCH better than reveal bulbs in ceiling fixtures.

Can't wait to get back to work!

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=270

Tsunamidelta
05-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Ya know Secret I like the peg board.. My desk doesn't allow for that.. sadly.. cause it has an upper shelf.. but, that beats just laying tools on the desk like I usually do.. Also doesn't help since I'm not painting I have.. Six kits in progress on the desk right now....

Shintocowboy
07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I got a cavity filled today. I can't feel my face...(sadly not because of beer)

Also, I was looking at the tools he used...I think I have all of them combining my sculpting sets and the Dremel. XD

Tsunamidelta
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I remained unemployed! Thats what I did today.. ooh yeah and resoldered a kids toy back together.. so it can play some weird sounds when the little milk pawed creature pushes the buttons.. ugh.

My Brother , his wife.. and their spawn.. will be staying here.. for the next week.. I hope I can keep my sanity..
Or at least some of it...

Chev
08-04-2009, 02:06 AM
This happen to me on last tuesday at Kendo practice. :omg: for you who know what Kendo is, the person went for kote and i dropped my right just a bit so he would miss. my right hand went numb for a second. Today it is a nice shade of red with some purple lol

Tsunamidelta
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
thats a nice grape fruit ya got there.. looks like what happened to my shoulder when I didn't hold the rifle tight enough once.

Shintocowboy
10-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Today I finished Yuki's PJs. :evillaugh:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/shintocowboy/HPIM1207.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/shintocowboy/HPIM1213.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/shintocowboy/HPIM1214.jpg

Still need to work oh my photography skills, and get a tri-pod. Yuki "grew" a little as well today and now fills out her clothes more.

Tsunamidelta
10-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Looks good Shinto! Yuki looks like she's happily pjed up ^_^

Deikin
10-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Adorable.

secretasianman
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Thread bump for non-modeling activities. We all have too many hobbies.

Dr. H might recognize the make and application.

Tsunamidelta
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
That a Turbo for one of your RC cars?

secretasianman
06-03-2010, 08:12 PM
That a Turbo for one of your RC cars?

The compressor may be small but it's for the real deal..

Dr.H
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Very Nice! :) I haven't touched my turbo car in probably 5+ years.. I put over 400hp in it and then life just has a way of changing.

Tsunamidelta
06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Very cool, and good looking Secret! That is a small compressor.. How much boost is it producing? What sort of number increase you getting off that?

Evantually when my motor in the Mustang goes caput and I replace it with a 4.0 Morana V6 http://www.moranav6racing.com/ I plan to put a turbo on the that.. I've seen some really nice prefabbed ktis for Fox body mustangs.. so shouldn't be too hard.

Dr.H
06-04-2010, 08:04 PM
On a stock non-turbo engine unless it is completely rebuilt you have to run low PSI on the turbo kit to keep the engine from detonating so small is safe in this case. I think something like 7-9 PSI is common where on my car I can stock get over 20 PSI because the engine was designed for it.

Tsunamidelta
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, is why I'm waiting to do the Turbo till I get a Much better motor to put in.. the Morana V6's are really well done V6's you should check out their page.

secretasianman
06-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Dr H is right on the money. With stock internals you can boost around 8 psi or less but for obscene power you'll need a build.

When I bought this car I just wanted a DD so it's not like I set out to get a speed demon. 4 years later (especially after having it paid-off for 3) reality sets in and 162 crank/139 wheel started to become boring and I didn't want to add paltry numbers with a silly cold air pipe and a neighbor-unfriendly exhaust system.

So, while I have a glorified econobox Toyota left some leeway with cylinder compression in the mid 9's. This was my first (self installed) turbo so I didn't want to go crazy. Absurdly, the MHI 16g spools fast and works without a piggyback at 6 psi. Estimated numbers based on other people who've installed the kit : 200hp wheel 235/crank with matching torque numbers which isn't bad considering first gen 5.0 foxes did roughly the same.

There's room to grow too. stock internals I can hit the high 200's, and on the stock block anything goes up to 500. We'll see where the dollars take me.

Masa
06-05-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=811

Truly a sight to behold :)

Tsunamidelta
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Love that movie!!!!

Shintocowboy
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Lets see...today I drove my sister to Wisconsin and got rid of her for good...took only 13 hours in the car ^^;

Tsunamidelta
06-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Way to go Ken!

So is Wisconsin the official dumping ground for unwanted siblings? I got a brother and his wife.. that I could drop off there if it is.

Shintocowboy
06-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I should think so. It's so out of the way and there is no cell phone reception.

devone23
06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Whoa wait, bashing on Wisconsin? :pppppp

Shintocowboy
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm a Chicago man. Even though I don't follow sports, any place that houses the Packers is pure evil. >:-D

Let's see...today I'm been crocheting again. Working on a really big project.

Tsunamidelta
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Devone, I don't really consider what I did bashing.. I just asked a question really ^_^ And anyways.. Wisconsin probably could use the population increase..

What have I done today.. I slept!! I just got up and now I'm giong to do some homework, then get ready for school! FUN!

WarpCore
06-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Havent been here much for awhile, but today has consisted of moving furniture around for the cleaners to come tommorrow and clean the carpet, and removing air vents so they can be cleaned, then cleaned and washed a couple of busts so they can be drying for tommorrow, so while the cleaning is going on I can sit in my hobby room and hopefully do some painting. I have a few kits to get out of the way before I start on some anime kits.

Masa
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, I look like a total dork. No, I won't be posting any photos of me wearing them. But yeah, they help these old eyes a lot. Should have got some years ago :exhausted:

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=814

Dr.H
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, I look like a total dork. No, I won't be posting any photos of me wearing them. But yeah, they help these old eyes a lot. Should have got some years ago :exhausted:

L...O...L!!!

No other comments really needed on that one Masa :snicker:

As for what I've been doing.. I'm hoping to get my house refinance to drop my rate and get rid of the damn PMI.
The housing market sucks so bad these days that I'm freaking out a bit about the appraisal that I have to pay $450 to get done. Plus you have to pay the banks appraisal people for it and can't use your own.. so you know that probably won't work out in my favor.

Anyway. I'm doing a bunch of lawn and garden work, tearing out some old fences and bushes. Tore out the covered front porch's rail so I can put in a screened porch. Tore out some lattice on the side porch and power washed, chemically stripped and scraped the decking so I can put on a solid stain and new privacy railing all the way around.

The old carpet upstairs and on the staircase is also torn out so I need to put down some plywood over the old floor boards and get new carpet installed.

I'm hoping the appraiser will see all this and take into account what it will look like vs it's current in progress state.:abandoned:

Tsunamidelta
06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Masa... Doc's right.. L--O--L!

Doc, Oooh.. going for a refinance.. the bank appraisers usually aren't that sadistic.. at least from my experience, but that was before the economic world exploded, imploded, and generally vomitted itself out and then wanted a bailout. But I digress.. The work your doing is a good thing to do anyways, it'll improve the house and generally it should improve its value anyways. Just damn thats a lot of work you've been doing.. Owwies!

I agree, having a PMI sucks.. and I keep considering refianancing to get a lower interest rate and get rid of the PMI.. but my interest rate isn't that bad on a fifteen year Mortgage.. and part of the deal I made when I signed on the dotted line was.. Half off my PMI..

Dr.H
06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I just got back from the Wells Fargo office and locked in a 4.5% fixed 30year vs my current 6.75%. I've only been at my place for 5 years so going back to the 30 year isn't that bad and will eat up my home equity loan while dropping my monthly payments by about $350. Of course everything else depends on the value I end up getting from the appraiser. It looks like I'm going to be getting another PMI for a few more years though since I'm working some dept into the refi. Before the housing crash the dept to value percentage use to be like 85-90% then it dropped and dropped again. Right now it's about 78% and I don't think that I'll be close to that.

The standard rate right now is %5 with no points and what sucks is I have to pay 1.2point or roughly $16 a month finance charge to get down to the 4.5% plus the closing costs almost double to 10 freaking K!.. blah but the .5% still ends up saving me about $80 a month so I guess it's worth it..

These are some of the crap we have to go through to own a house..

Tsunamidelta
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Well really thats not that bad a deal.. Your saving a bit of money and eating up some debt to boot. So its a win.

Sucks you had to take some points to drop the interest rate though... Yeah home ownership is a real bite in the ass sometimes ^_^ but I wouldn't wanna go back to renting me thinks.

I have a 15 year fixed at 5.85% with half PMI for the standard term.. Property taxes are what hurt me the most.. not the mortgage.. but overall I'm happy with a 15yr term.

Dr.H
06-25-2010, 12:27 AM
If I had the finances and planned to stay in my house its full term I would definitely go for a 15 year. While ownership can be difficult and a bit scary at times, I agree that I could never go back to renting unless something tragic happened.

I was hoping to not have any points to pay but as I looked around at the other banks, including my current lender Bank of America (which now sucks) it seemed most of them were doing points for any sub 5% rates.. It also seems that while interest rates have gone down all the bank are making up for it by getting their money from higher closing costs than I saw a few years ago and more PMI.. banks will be banks.

secretasianman
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Function before form :)

... my current lender Bank of America (which now sucks)
I'lll assume you were a Countrywide customer or your mortage was sold to them. I feel for you man, hope you get that all squared away.

David_Chiu
06-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I just got back from the Wells Fargo office and locked in a 4.5% fixed 30year vs my current 6.75%. I've only been at my place for 5 years so going back to the 30 year isn't that bad and will eat up my home equity loan while dropping my monthly payments by about $350. Of course everything else depends on the value I end up getting from the appraiser. It looks like I'm going to be getting another PMI for a few more years though since I'm working some dept into the refi. Before the housing crash the dept to value percentage use to be like 85-90% then it dropped and dropped again. Right now it's about 78% and I don't think that I'll be close to that.

The standard rate right now is %5 with no points and what sucks is I have to pay 1.2point or roughly $16 a month finance charge to get down to the 4.5% plus the closing costs almost double to 10 freaking K!.. blah but the .5% still ends up saving me about $80 a month so I guess it's worth it..

These are some of the crap we have to go through to own a house..I just signed papers for a place of my own; underwritten by Wells Fargo as well. 4.625% zero cost to me (broker is picking up the cost.) I'll be poor for a long long time...

Tsunamidelta
06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Not a bad deal David! 4.625 for what a 30 yr? No closing costs thats a good deal.

Dr.H
06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
My Wells Fargo broker isn't picking up any costs.. On Monday I'm going to have to see if I can do anything about the closing costs or I'll have to check with some other banks..

I have to go over everything myself since I don't really trust the broker guys of being that smart.. they are salesmen after all. :dotdotdot:

Dr.H
06-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Well I checked over all the math up down left and right and contacted 3 other mortgage companies.

I ended up canceling my Wells Fargo loan and going with Quicken Loans. I never thought I would go with an online company but they game me a 4.75% loan with no points and around $8k less over all costs. Even with the extra .25% their loan cost $6 less a month than the other one! All the online signatures make the paperwork rather easy considering the other guys made me drive 45min through rush hr traffic in New Haven CT to get to their office to sign things... grr

I'm actually very happy with them so far, well see how the closing goes.

Tsunamidelta
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Now thats greats new Doc! Sounds like a good deal.. Still force you into PMI land or no?

Dr.H
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah I have PMI again. Since they have to add my small home equity loan into the main mortgage it kicks me just over the percentage. The only way it looks like I will be able to skip PMI is if my appraisal comes in high lol.

Tsunamidelta
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Let us pray, Pray for a high appraisal.. May the person doing the appraisal be generous and happy! Dear Lord, thank you.

David_Chiu
07-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Well I checked over all the math up down left and right and contacted 3 other mortgage companies.

I ended up canceling my Wells Fargo loan and going with Quicken Loans. I never thought I would go with an online company but they game me a 4.75% loan with no points and around $8k less over all costs. Even with the extra .25% their loan cost $6 less a month than the other one! All the online signatures make the paperwork rather easy considering the other guys made me drive 45min through rush hr traffic in New Haven CT to get to their office to sign things... grr

I'm actually very happy with them so far, well see how the closing goes.In the mean time, rate fell some more... (well, according to bankrate.com anyway) The Money Store was quoted as offering zero pt $265 fee at 4.5%.. not that it matters to me anymore; the house closed today. The previous owner left a bunch of garbage in the house and a trampoline in the backyard... (grrrh) It needs a new roof, fumigation, exterior paint, new doors. Leaks under the sinks, seem to be a never ending list of expenses...

Would've like to put in hardwood floor and possibly converting one of the bed room into a washitsu, wire the house for cable/dish/ota and network... but alas, no money.

Dr.H
07-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Sadly there are always tons of things you'll need to fix after you buy a house that you never notice in the walk through or inspection.
I did notice some 4.5% rates but it turned out I would have needed a 740+ credit score to get them and since I'm still relatively young I'm only up to 685 right now.

Masa
07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I just got fiber optic internet hooked up at my house and I must say... "great gotham's batballs!" is it fast :moe:

Dr.H
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I just got fiber optic internet hooked up at my house and I must say... "great gotham's batballs!" is it fast :moe:
I hate you :oy:.

secretasianman
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM

:notagain:

Tsunamidelta
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Ya know.. .. yeah.. Bastard.:donotwant::evil:

nightengale5385
07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Trying to finish upthis B-club Reika kit I began painting some years ago:

http://www.gkjapan.com/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=838

ebi0brain
10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Worked on my new sculpture, read the very beginning of "the postman" and then 4 chapters of " YOUR WRITING COACH" :D lol, attempted to clean up my room, then I ate a cookie and now I'm trying to convince myself that I really must do my homework since I only have 2 more free days ( Saturday/Sunday have been unexpectedly fully booked) and I'm way behind >_<