View Full Version : Happy B-day, FilmMkr!

09-20-2005, 06:06 PM
May your second ½ century be as filled with kits as the first one was! :D

Hehe.. :sweat: have a great one!

09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Super Happy Birthday FilmMkr :D .

09-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Happy Bday! :D

09-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Happy Birthday Filmy! :lol:

09-20-2005, 10:41 PM

*1954 was a good year; no? :D *

09-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Happy Birthday Filmkr!
Cheers, hope you have good one.

09-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one! =)

09-21-2005, 08:06 AM
happy birthday filmMkr!!! wishing u another great year to come!

09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Have a great one Film!

09-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Happy Happy Birthday Filmy. Hope you get lots of good presents :)

09-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Happy Birthday Film :D !!!

09-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Happy Birthday Film :)

09-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Thank you all for the warm wishes. I wish I could say that it was as nice as you had intended. Unfortunately, however, I got up yesterdeay morning at 5 a.m. to prepare my business and my home for Hurricane Rita.

My home is about one mile from Galveston Bay and is in the direct path of the hurricane. It is now a category 5 storm, with sustained winds of 175 miles per hour. I spent the first half of the day moving the equipment in my edit suite into an upstairs office and packing important papers into boxes to take with me.

I went home about 1 p.m. and boarded up all of the windows on our house in 102 degree heat, then packed our two cars with eight cats, the CPU's from my office computers, four boxes of photos and memories, and what supplies we could carry and evacuated the area. When the storm hits late tomorrow night, the storm surge is expected to be 20-25 feet, so my house and my business will be completely underwater. We will probably lose everything.

We left about 7:30 p.m. last night and spent six hours on the road crawling at a snails pace in stop and go traffic evacuating to a buddy's house. We got here about 1:30 in the morning, a drive that usually takes about 40 minutes. He lives about 50 miles from the coast in Sugarland, not far enough to escape the storm, but it is better than were we were. We expect hurricane force winds here and probably some flooding, but he has an unfinished room upstairs for the cats, and I can put what we brought with us high enough to escape the rising water should it come to that.

My kids evacuated to San Antonio early yesterday morning, so they are safe. My wife is with me, and we have our animals, so at least we will all have our lives. We are praying that we get lucky somehow and the storm takes a turn and misses a direct hit, but it looks pretty grim.

At least my birthday will be a memorable one. Count your blessings, my friends, tell your family that you love them, and be thankful that you are alive and well. I will try to keep in touch until the power goes out.

Best wishes all -

09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
So sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it will work out for you in the end. My thoughts are with you and your familly.

09-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Marc: I read your post and it confirmed my fears. I wish you and your family (as well as everybody in the path of this storm) safety and protection. I hope that you guys fare better than you predict but most importantly I hope you guys remain safe.

My family will be keeping your family in our prayers. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do.

09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Rage - I got your voicemail while I was crawling on the Beltway last night, and lemme tell you buddy, it really lifted my spirits! Thank you so very, very much! I will try to call you today, but cel service is spotty at best.

09-22-2005, 03:33 PM

I'm so very sorry that this storm is going to happen to you and your friends neighbors and loved ones. I know that there is not much we can do up here for you, other than give you our best wishes but if you find that there are any necessities that are hard to come by after the storm please let us know and we will try to help out as much as we can. I know from what I see in the North East that peoples main concerns are the rising gas prices that might come after the storm but we have to remembers that its peoples lives that are down there. I guess it just hits home more when it happens to a friend we care about like you.

Please PM me if you or your family needs my help in any way.
The best of luck.

09-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Hope everything goes your way in the next coming days and that all is well!

best wishes to all those who may be affected by the storm.

09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Best wishes to you and everyone down there. Seems Mother Nature just isn't giving anyone a break this year :sad:

09-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear this news Film :( call me a sap but I welled up reading what you've already done in preparation of the worst.

Best wishes and hope for the best.

09-23-2005, 06:22 AM
I guess I'm a sap like Secret cause I started bauling like a baby when Todd read your post to me. I want you to know that all my thoughts are with you. I will say a prayer and light a candle for you this weekend. Please, whenever you can get in touch with us, let us all know how you are doing. Until then my thoughts are with you, your family, and all your kitties.

09-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Sorry for the cross-post.

My buddy Chris and I spent the day today boarding up his house, using plywood that we pulled up from the decking in his attic - lol. When we ran out of plywood, we started pulling cedar pickets from his fence and cutting them to fit. I have several blisters, busted a knuckle and bled all over my britches, and got stung by a wasp - twice. Its all good, though, 'cause we are as prepared as we can be for this b!tch.

We have lots of candles, flashlights, batteries, water, canned food, Nutri-Grain bars, etc. We are almost completely ensconced and ready for action! I just took a shower and shaved for possibly the last time for a few days, and boy does it feel good!

Don't know how much longer I'll be able to communicate because we are going to be right smack dab in the middle of this bitch, but I'll try to keep reporting for as long as I can.

09-23-2005, 07:28 PM
YEAH FILMMKR! Hope you had a great one and got to spend lots of time with the people you love - and no... they aren't made of resin ^_^

09-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I just read the updates on Rita. I'm glad it's been degraded to a category 1 hurricane, and that the damages so far are smaller than expected. Now I'm just hoping that your house and the houses of your close ones are safe (I have all confidence that you and your family are safe).

09-24-2005, 03:03 PM
I second Catta's post. I was glad to see that the storm has veered eastward and has not directly hit your area. Still thinking about you. Stay safe and take care of yourself.

Kelly :)

09-24-2005, 10:03 PM
We're home!!! Yippieeee!!

I will probably have to do this in increments as I am exhausted, so please bear with me. We are alive and well, and most importantly we are in our home.

We lost power briefly last night, but it came back on after a short delay. The funny thing was, Chris' next door neighbor lost power and came to shelter with us. We woke up this morning to rain and high winds, and Chris lost his fence in places, but overall, we held up pretty well. We saw on the news that the storm had moved up north, and then we saw a reporter standing on the boardwalk in Kemah telling us that the water barely flooded Toddville Road.

That was all I needed to hear.

The plan was for me to go get my car out of Mike's garage (another buddy that lives about a mile from Chris - he offered to keep my Lexus sheltered so that it wouldn't be torn up by flying debris), come back to Chris' house, pack up my car and head for League City to reconnoiter the house. If I could make it through the streets without running into a bunch of dead ends, and if the house wasn't flooded and the power was on, I would call Marie and she and the kitties would come home.

On the way back from Mikey's I heard on the radio that traffic was already building on I-10, impeding the FEMA vehicles. My plan was to go around to the south, off the beaten path, and take my chances. I asked Marie if she wanted to wait or come with me. She said lets go.

We made it home in about an hour - some traffic at first, but once we hit our neck of the woods it was nearly deserted. The main drag showed signs of wind damage, but the city had obviously cleared the big pieces to the side of the road. Some stop lights were working, but other intersections had stop signs in place.

The wind was still howling pretty good when we got here - blowing about 25-30 mph and gusting to 50 or 60. The trees were still bending and leaves and branches were blowing all over the place, but we had made it home.

When we turned on to our street, my heart skipped a beat. The landscaping took a hit, but it wasn't too bad. We lost some plumerias and some bushes, and a four year old oak tree is listing slightly, but other than that, everything looked pretty good. I knew that we had lost power because the garage door wouldn't open from my car, so I pulled the plywood off the front door and we went inside.

There was evidence of high water, but thankfully none of it got into the house. The refrigerator wasn't stinking yet, and there was still some (melting) ice in the freezer keeping things cool. (My Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream melted, though. :\ )

We just looked at each other and fell into each other's arms. We stood in the kitchen and hugged and held one another for a while, realizing that we had dodged a major bullet. @#%$ being on Survivor - this has been a life-changing experience for Marie and I in so very many ways.

I have always been a person who is full of gratitude - for my wonderful family, for my career, and for the blessings in my life. I live a rich and fulfilling life. Even so, I have been guilty of taking certain things for granted. That has changed forever.

I have been given a second chance. I cannot begin to explain the mental strain I have felt over the last week. I never worry - I take life by the horns and make things happen. If I want to do something or accomplish something, I just go out and do it. I don't dick around dreaming and wishing and hoping - I evalute, plan, and take action.

Rita showed me that there are times when things are completely out of my hands. I had to grab what I could, prepare my home and business, and flee. That's right, turn tail and run like a frightened little schoolgirl. That was so completely out of character for me that it wigged me out. I don't run from problems - I confront them head on and deal with them. I could not confront Rita, and I was humbled.

Rita showed me that sometimes I have to depend on the kindness and compassion of others. Had it not been for my buddy Chris, my wife, eight cats, and I would have been stranded on I-10, trying to get to San Antonio or points west with no hotel reservation and one tank of gas in each of our cars. Instead, we were with close friends in a comfortable home with lights, food, and shelter.

We are going to reevaluate everything - our careers, where we live, the location of my office, our retirement - everything. Then we're going to change our lives.

09-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Here is what I saw when I turned on to my street (without the cars in the drive, of course). Check out the ominous skies still swirling around:

Looks like it got kinda windy . . .

This oak has a beautiful round shape. It looks this way because the wind was still blowing about 40 mph when we got home:

09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Front entrance garden:

Snapped plumerias all over the yard - bushes mashed too:

Looks like all my hard work paid off! Sat dish is on the south side of the house and didn't move an inch (and it still works! :lol )

North side of the house. Note how soaked the brick is - this is where the brunt of the storm hit:

SOMEBODY is glad to be home! (Check out the soaking that the house got):

09-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey Film,

I'm very happy to hear that you guys dodged the bullet as it were. It's amazing how much it changes your life when you face a situation like the one you've just been through. It helps you focus on the things that matter the most to you.

As you and your family plan for the future I wish you all the best.

09-24-2005, 11:17 PM

I was so happy to see your post! I breathed a heavy sigh of relief to know that you and your family are ok. I'm sure it's nice to be back home now. Take some time to regroup and take care of yourself. Give your wife a big hug and crawl into bed with your kitties and enjoy the time you have together!

Kelly :)

09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
So glad to hear you're well and nothing was severely damaged.

09-25-2005, 02:21 AM
now you can enjoy the rest of your birthday that got put on hold =) i think its great that you take a situation such as this and turn it into something greater

its great to have you back here ^^

09-25-2005, 04:17 AM

I can't tell you enough just how relieved we are for you.
I just called Catta (on her way to work) and told her.
She's been really worried, following the weather reports both on the telly en over the net.
Like she told me yesterday when it seemed the storm had calmed down/hit a different course; It's different when you *know* someone directly affected by all this. Here, people barely notice it by the petrol prices rocketing + the weather reports taking too much air time.
Welcome back!

09-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Wow, has it been a year already? :blink:

Hope you have a great day Filmy!::birthday :fest06: :present: ::birthdaysmall

09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
time has really gone by:blink: happy birthday again!:hubba:

09-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Happy Birthday! :D

09-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Happy birthday again :D ::birthday

09-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow, has it been a year already?

Indeed... :blink:

Congrats onto you, old man. Again; you really prove this hobby has nothing to do with *age* .. ;P

Have a Great one! :D

09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Lots of birthdays lately! :)

09-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Hope your day rocked :rockon:!! Happy Birthday Filmy :D

09-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank you, my friends, for the congratulatory wishes. I must say that this year's birthday has been MUCH better than the last one - no frigging hurricane!

Marie and I talked about the evacuation again last night and counted our blessings. I've had a fairly boring day today, which is just how I like it when compared to what I was doing last year at this time!

By the way, I talked to RedRage yesterday on the phone. He is dealing with some life challenges right now, but I think you can expect him to return to the boards eventually. I will be so glad when he does.

09-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Happy Bird day, sir :)

09-22-2006, 01:45 AM
I talked to RedRage yesterday on the phone, I think you can expect him to return to the boards eventually. I will be so glad when he does.

Oh, that most certainly makes two of us :D
Very good news indeed

09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I know, is late:unsure: , but no problem, Happy birthday FilmMkr ::thumb ::birthday :rockon:

09-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm a little late too:(

and many more;)

09-23-2006, 12:42 AM

Happy Belated Birthday Film Maker; hope it was a great one!

09-20-2007, 09:34 PM
:present: :fest06: ::birthdaysmall ::birthday

09-21-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey Mr. Maker of them Films

Best congrats, and the wishes of a great day, here from the still cold, but not rainy (at least today :D ) Scandinavia.

09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Dude!!! You got older! :D

Have a great wekkend (it's so totally great to have b-days on fridays ;) )!!!

09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
::birthdaysmall ::birthday ::birthdaysmall

09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
happy bday!:keke:

09-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Why, thank you peeps!

How I spent my birthday week - or "please don't let this rocketship fall on my head!" (On location at KSC for ten days shooting a special in HD for Discovery Channel - I get to go home tomorrow.)

09-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Happy Birthday! Sorry I'm a little late lol.
Man you have such an awesome job!
I'm at work right now... dealing with sick patients and paperwork sigh...

09-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Found this in the NASA archive! Very freaky!

Happy belated birthday!

09-22-2007, 09:51 PM
A bit late but happy birthday Filmmkr! :D

Woah NASA! I have a friend working there, in the Ames Research Institute (next to Google HQ in Silicon Valley). Did you go there to film too?

PS: This space rocket GK was quite realistic, nice work :p

09-21-2008, 03:40 AM
::birthday Filmy

Have a great day mate!

09-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Marc, I hope you'll be able to take a pause from the Ike aftermath and enjoy this Sunday of yours.
Happy Birthday!

09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
another happy bday to you! :p

09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the kind birthday wishes. I do stop by from time to time to check in and see what's happening. Seems like the board has really slowed down, and that's a shame. I remember when we had quite a bit of traffic here and it was a regular destination!

I still build all the time, although not so much anime anymore. I've joined the staff at Amazing Figure Modeler magazine, and my work will start appearing in the next issue. I also have a small personal modeling website now where you can check out some of my latest stuff, plus tips and tricks and tutorials. If you're interested, go here:

Model Builders (http://www.modelbuildersonline.com)

If you do stop by, please sign the guest book and let me know what you think.

We survived Hurricane Ike, but not without some pretty substantial damage. Our new home is fine - some minor shingle damage, my sat dish blew off the roof, and my landscape was wiped out - but my office and studios took a major blow. Also a storage facility we had lost its roof and we took on about four feet of water, wiping out a lot of irreplaceable personal items.

Still and all, we are very fortunate and I count my blessings daily. Ike was a huge blow to the Texas Gulf coast. We live a half mile from Galveston Bay and the bastard went right directly over the top of us, and while we came out of it in decent shape, there are thousands of people who lost everything the had - home, possessions, animals, everything.

Here's wishing you all well, and I hope to see this site return to its former glory some day!