PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Complex 03 (Apr 5) WHF KOBE28 (Apr 29) WHF Ariake 18 (May 5)

fiathriel
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm off to Japan for April/May (and REALLY peeved that I'll miss m_candy grrrr) and I'm going to 3 GK conventions, 2 doujinshi conventions (regrettably mainly in Golden Week) and wondering if anyone else is going???

I've my DSLR and DV Camera all set to go so I can blog the lot of it as I'm 100% geek and can't help myself.

Zen Builder has already provided me with bucketloads of tips for how these conventions work.

I've got plane tickets, no passport, no accommodation booked and little in the way of itenary. Sounds horrible I know but I'm getting there . . . . I'm going to be there so long I don't know where and when to book accommodation but I'll be staying mainly at backpackers, old $30 a night jobs . . . .

Can't wait for the festivals!!!

Is is true you can leave your bag in line and keep you place?

m_candy
01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh thats too bad!!!
I was going to go in May but it'll be a really bad time for me since I would have to take time off of school... Booo!
Well I have no tips for you seeing that my trip has not happened yet. How long are you going for?
Only 20 more days for me!!! Woot! Hopefully it'll inspire me to stop being so damn lazy and get back to my tutorial lol

fiathriel
02-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh thats too bad!!!
Well I have no tips for you seeing that my trip has not happened yet. How long are you going for?
Only 20 more days for me!!! Woot! Hopefully it'll inspire me to stop being so damn lazy and get back to my tutorial lol

I'm going for 6 weeks, I have a lot of theme parks to visit, small villages, onsen and jpop/jrock concerts to see!!! It probably wont be enough time, but I'm sure I'll value every minute of it!!!

Yes more tutorials!!! I love your tutes, they are very educational and it's fun listening to you speak!! I think it's your accent that does it for me!!! LOL.

serogane
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Is is true you can leave your bag in line and keep you place?

I would also like to confirm this. I heard that the lineups are hours on end, so what happens if you had to go to the washroom or something in between and you were by yourself?

Masa
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't do it. I suppose you could ask the person in front or back of you to watch your stuff for a minute, but who knows what might happen. Japan is typically a safe country but just like everywhere else, there are thieves, pickpockets, and some downright not nice people. They have line attendants at most events that stand around holding signs and making sure that everyone lines up properly, but you shouldn't rely on them to keep track of your possessions for you either.

Like anywhere else, use your head.

And on that note - unless you absolutely have to have that super-exclusive Bome kit or the newest C.Project release... lining up for hours on end is kinda redundant. If you just want to see the show and get some deals, you might as well wait for the lines to go through first, then just walk on in after.

serogane
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah that's true. I was under the impression that there are on average 30000-40000 attendees per festival, and that most kits are limited to 50-100 in quantity so I was a bit worried.

I suppose there's always YJA worse comes to worse.

Masa
02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes, but you have to remember that that's 50 kits multiplied by 1500 vendors :)

Even if you lined up for hours before the door opened, you will still not get the hot items. That is why they command such a high premium on YJA.

WHF is a much smaller event than WF and even if you line up a half hour before the show starts, you will still get a crack at most of the good stuff.

fiathriel
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't do it. I suppose you could ask the person in front or back of you to watch your stuff for a minute, but who knows what might happen. Japan is typically a safe country but just like everywhere else, there are thieves, pickpockets, and some downright not nice people.

Zen-Builder mentioned this in the WF thread and he has been there a long time and his quite knowledgeable in this area specifically. He just mentioned just to take the valuables like camera etc.

Masa
02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Zen-Builder mentioned this in the WF thread and he has been there a long time and his quite knowledgeable in this area specifically. He just mentioned just to take the valuables like camera etc.

Sorry for intruding on your thread. While I have no doubts about Zen-Builder's immense knowledge of Japan and all things Japanese, and the "many" years he has resided there - leaving your bags out in the open somewhere, anywhere, in any country is just stupid. And advising anyone to do so, is beyond comprehension. Why take chances when you don't have to?

But please feel free to do as you see fit.

Dr.H
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Another person going to Japan :( I'm sooo jealous lol ;) remember to take some great photos for us!!

Hmm I'm not sure about the bag thing. It would be great if you could trust the people there but knowing human nature I wouldn't chance it. Even if they have people working there keeping an eye on the crowds how will they know the bags don't belong to the guy in line next to you that is going through them while you're gone? Though if you do take out the important stuff then it won't matter to much if someone takes a peek I guess :P.

Zen-Builder
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
How would you guys keep your place in the queue when nature calls?
Many guys come with foldable chairs, etc.

Once you left you got no proof where in the queue you were?

Dr.H
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes :P nature is a tricky one isn't she lol. If leaving a bag works then thats great ;) if not that's just the chance you take.

fiathriel
02-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Mmmm, some good advice, perhaps taking a shopping like canvas bag along with me with just some paperwork and leaving it in line to test the waters would be an option, rather than just trusting everything in a main bag.

It's just the toilet thing, it's not easy to stand in line for hours on end, especially if you are in the sun and drinking lots of water.

serogane
02-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Yes, but you have to remember that that's 50 kits multiplied by 1500 vendors :)

Even if you lined up for hours before the door opened, you will still not get the hot items. That is why they command such a high premium on YJA.

WHF is a much smaller event than WF and even if you line up a half hour before the show starts, you will still get a crack at most of the good stuff.

Haha that's true, though I doubt that all 1500 vendors have desirable stuff for me. It's times like these I'm grateful for differing tastes in kits.

Yeah, you pretty much have to be like the first 10 people in line if you want to get your hands on say Ignis the White (1/7; 5 kits only) or Kanu Uncho by Cobra-Kai (1/5; 40 kits only).

Thanks for the help Masa.

fiathriel
02-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Haha that's true, though I doubt that all 1500 vendors have desirable stuff for me. It's times like these I'm grateful for differing tastes in kits.

Yeah, you pretty much have to be like the first 10 people in line if you want to get your hands on say Ignis the White (1/7; 5 kits only) or Kanu Uncho by Cobra-Kai (1/5; 40 kits only).

Thanks for the help Masa.
It's rough isn't it? Although I'll be there mainly to take photos and do a video of it all, looking forward to just being there!

serogane
02-03-2008, 02:55 PM
You're going for a video documentary? How come?

It just strikes me as odd since most people would want to get in, buy as many kits as possible, and get out.

fiathriel
02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
You're going for a video documentary? How come?

It just strikes me as odd since most people would want to get in, buy as many kits as possible, and get out.
Well I saw a snippet video (with no voice) of one and got quite excited and thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to do a little video blog on it for all to see?" I think it would be fun and although I'm no Clive James I can try and be entertaining!!!

I just want to bring the festivals out of Japan so more of us will be able to see what they are like and perhaps participate!!!

As far as the kits thing goes, I'm female so I mainly only want boys kits, of which there are very few. There aren't going to be that many for me that I'll want to get, plus unless I line up for 5 hours I'll miss out anyway!!! I often get the kits I want later on YJ anyway or through other hobbyists that sell parts of their collection. I recently picked up a grail kit from Berserk and was very surprised, it's rare but you just never know if you keep your eyes peeled on YJ.

A good point raised though, it certainly does look out of character for a GK nut!!!

serogane
02-04-2008, 03:17 AM
It'll definitely be an eye opener for those who have never been (i.e. Me). For that I salute you, and I'll be looking forward to the video commentary.::thumb

Yeah girls tend to get shafted in this hobby, seeing as how 90% of the sculptors are guys. But looking on the plus side, it could also mean less competitors in the sense that there are so few female fans (Ratio wise).

fiathriel
02-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Yeah girls tend to get shafted in this hobby, seeing as how 90% of the sculptors are guys. But looking on the plus side, it could also mean less competitors in the sense that there are so few female fans (Ratio wise).

Good point! I hope this goes in my favour if I am to produce and release kits . . .

But yes I'll have lots of fun taping and photographing, I'm armed with a 3CCD Digital Video Camera and a 10MP Digital SLR, I'll be all equipment so I probably don't want to buy that much bling anyway. . . . . it would be annoying if anything!! Be nice if you could buy then stash in lockers but with that many attendees there's no way that service would be on offer!

serogane
02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I remember from reading that they offer a boxing service on site for those who buy more than they can carry. They then ship your goods (Stored in the box) to your address afterwards.

It sounds pretty awesome, although it would be nice it someone could verify this.

m_candy
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Well I saw a snippet video (with no voice) of one and got quite excited and thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to do a little video blog on it for all to see?" I think it would be fun and although I'm no Clive James I can try and be entertaining!!!

I just want to bring the festivals out of Japan so more of us will be able to see what they are like and perhaps participate!!!

As far as the kits thing goes, I'm female so I mainly only want boys kits, of which there are very few. There aren't going to be that many for me that I'll want to get, plus unless I line up for 5 hours I'll miss out anyway!!! I often get the kits I want later on YJ anyway or through other hobbyists that sell parts of their collection. I recently picked up a grail kit from Berserk and was very surprised, it's rare but you just never know if you keep your eyes peeled on YJ.

A good point raised though, it certainly does look out of character for a GK nut!!!

Dude I am totally with you! Boy kits all the way!!!
I will be so sad if I can't get atleast one good boy kit (here's hoping its a character from Ouran Highschool host club) and maybe its a girl thing but one of the main reasons I'm going is just for the atmosphere. Its almost like window shopping but stuff i really like (and i can window shop for hours lol) I actually don't plan on spending too much money there.