PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Festivals - do they allow foreign vendors?

hellspawn77
02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering but in order to sell GK's at wonder festival do you have to live in Japan or do they allow outside vendors?

Claudio

FilmMkr
02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
1. No
2. Yes

hellspawn77
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know where you can find the vender info to get a table etc in English?

Claudio

FilmMkr
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
There is nothing in English, dude - their customer base is the Japanese market and they have no interest in making it simple or easy for you. You're going to have to do some real work here if you want to make this happen - there is no "easy way". The first thing you should do is go to the Wonderfest website (Google it). Use an online translator to take a first pass so that you can get an idea.

The next thing to do is find someone who speaks both Japanese and English. Try your local college as a place to start - you may be able to pay a student a modest sum to translate for you.

Understand that communicating with the Japanese is not the same as in the U.S. Things don't move as quickly and you must - MUST - behave in a respectful and polite manner. In other words, don't act like an American. It took me four months and many, MANY emails and mucho correspondence to get press credentials, and I am an accredited journalist. I also worked with three native Japanese who also spoke English to help me communicate with the powers that be. Be aware - they have seen all the scams to get in the building and they are especially wary of foreigners.

You might also peruse the admissions mook/catalog from recent WFs to identify any U.S. companies that might have exhibited there. I saw several when I was there. Make a connection with them and ask how they did it.

No matter what, you are going to have to roll up your sleeves and work at this. Believe me, though - it is most definitely worth it.

hellspawn77
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
There is nothing in English, dude - their customer base is the Japanese market and they have no interest in making it simple or easy for you. You're going to have to do some real work here if you want to make this happen - there is no "easy way". The first thing you should do is go to the Wonderfest website (Google it). Use an online translator to take a first pass so that you can get an idea.

The next thing to do is find someone who speaks both Japanese and English. Try your local college as a place to start - you may be able to pay a student a modest sum to translate for you.

Understand that communicating with the Japanese is not the same as in the U.S. Things don't move as quickly and you must - MUST - behave in a respectful and polite manner. In other words, don't act like an American. It took me four months and many, MANY emails and mucho correspondence to get press credentials, and I am an accredited journalist. I also worked with three native Japanese who also spoke English to help me communicate with the powers that be. Be aware - they have seen all the scams to get in the building and they are especially wary of foreigners.

You might also peruse the admissions mook/catalog from recent WFs to identify any U.S. companies that might have exhibited there. I saw several when I was there. Make a connection with them and ask how they did it.

No matter what, you are going to have to roll up your sleeves and work at this. Believe me, though - it is most definitely worth it.

Hey filmy,

Thanks for the info- I appreciate it :)

I'm no stranger to hard work considering I own my own business nor was I asking for a free ride or anything (hopefully it didn't come across that way?) ;)

I was just asking in case anyone could help... it doesn't hurt to ask beforehand rather then finding out the hard way... I didn't intend to suggest otherwise.

I'm no stranger to Japanese culture since I've been practicing Buddhism for many years now...I know a ton of Japanese people so I will see if they can help me out. I thought I'd ask here first since most of you have first hand knowledge. I've been invited to Japan by the organization before, to present a sculpture to the president of the organization, so I'm pretty sure they aren't worried about my manners... :D

Also I thought that maybe someone here had gone to the festival to display their work before etc... I ask the same thing to people that go to cons here too...

Thanks again!

Claudio

FilmMkr
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
No, no - you did not come across that way at all. Its just that it is, um, how shall I put this? Quite challenging, but most certainly not impossible! As I said, I saw several westerners there - although now that I think about it, most had Japanese people at the tables with them.

Glad to hear that you know many Japanese - that will help you a LOT. As I mentioned, I think you can find everything you need to get started on the Wonder Festival Kaiyodo site.

Good luck!