View Full Version : Step by step tutorial?

04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok so I've been reading around and in a nutshell these are the steps?

1. Inspect kit for missing parts
2. Test fitting
3. Cleaning
4. Filling and sanding then prime
5. Repeat step 4 until kit is smooth and fits correctly
6. Pinning
7. Painting
8. Apply overcoat
9. Attach to stand
10. Admire and stare

I have a half of month until the kit arrives, so I might as well get all the theory right haha~

04-18-2008, 03:10 PM
you got it

04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Step 6 comes before step 4, for best results.

04-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Ahh I saw that with most WIP here, so excited!!
Question, I have an entry level Tamiya airbrush kit, should it be a good idea to do large areas with the airbrush then use a fine brush and hand brush the finer details because I'm sorta in a money binge?

04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
For most of our applications, almost any airbrush will do a satisfactory job. Unless you are working on a really large scale figure where you will be doing lots of subtle gradations by hand, any airbrush that can get the paint on the figure should work. For the figures we do, masking (and masking well) will have more of an impact on how nice your figure will turn out than the type and brand of airbrush you use (some exceptions of course).

Most of the finer detail you see on the finished figures are painted by hand brushing. So yes, you can use your airbrush to get the flesh and basecoats done, then do the details by hand. A better airbrush would make the job quicker and smoother, but it isn't an absolute necessity.

If you look around at some of the WIPs and build reports, you should find numerous techniques and methods that you can use to add special effects to your basic paint job. Shading, highlighting, drybrushing, chalk pastels, gels, pearl powders, etc.

04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Very good to hear, yea I think I read about using pastel for the face(blush?) and your WIP on Yoko with the pearl + black paint.
Also good to hear that just because my airbrush is entry level, I can still get the job done appropriately. I'm just scared of spider webbing because it happened once, I can remember what caused it(too much paint in the paint:thinner ratio?).