PDA

View Full Version : Ugly ass kits - K

serogane
05-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Hey, why not? :P (Argh I messed up the title. Again.)

Anything that's ugly to you (Be it a completely inaccurate rendition of a character you love, a kit that only you hate but everyone else loves, etcetera), I want to hear about it.

Came across this kit on YJA today. Unsurprisingly, it's only 1,100 yen. What a deal! ::thumb

Edit: And another!

MidZ
05-20-2008, 12:54 AM
The second, man that's ug-leh...
but the first is an awesome rendition of Kat! AWESOME I tell you!!

serogane
05-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Lol, I guess I should have foreseen this.

Who is Kat?

MidZ
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
She's a character from Breath of Fire 2, a RPG game by Capcom.
I misspelled her name, its KATT, not kat
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-03/bof2-katt.html

Hmm... she does look like Katt, but I'm unsure that she is Katt though. She's still awesome! AWESOME I tell you!

serogane
05-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Damn, I lost the link to the auction. But she really doesn't look like the Katt in your picture though.:hmm:

MidZ
05-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe the sculptor was inspired by the design. But I do recall seeing a character with this design somewhere... can't seem to recall it.

serogane
05-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Aha! I found it.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n49692804

Toranoana
Name: メイリン (Mei-rin?)
原型 (Sculptor): 媚山厚

Goriyaku
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
That First one is a million miles from the Katt pictures. Not even Close! She (is it a she? where are teh boobies?) looks like an 80's aerobics instructor on halloween.

this is a neat thread. What elements of those two kits did you dislike Serogane?
The first one, for me it's the position, facial expression, and the paint job (brighter colors could have improved it imo) Oh , and the lack of mammaries. Unless that's a dude, then it's just wrong on all kinds of levels.

The second isn't horrible, but isn't one i'd want. She really needs some bangs and, well something done with the hand. (Gori Hopes to never find her own artwork in such a thread as this)

this kit has always irritated me. Horrible rendition of Sailor Pluto imo :( but, each to thier own.
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/uglySP.jpg

serogane
05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
My reason eh? Well I was mainly going by appearances and not their faithfulness to the original source material (Then again, it's not like I know which series either of the two of them are from; I'm pretty positive the first one isn't Katt though).

The 1st one (Let's call her Mei-rin) was the first kit ever to make me stop dead in my tracks (While searching on YJA and going through hundreds of kits). She was so unappealing to me I had to look at it again and again to try to comprehend what I was looking at (And I still don't know what she is; an anthropomorphic girl leopard? A cat furry?). My brain just can't comprehend the idea of paying even $10 for her.

The second one just looks really sloppy/amateurish. It's like the sculptor didn't put any effort into his/her work. I also love the fact how the sculptor made it so that she's flashing a boob in the hopes of diverting your attention away from the rest of her body (i.e. Ugly).

The reason I started this thread was so that people could talk about their least favorite kits (Since almost all the time, people only talk about their favorite kits). I'm sure there are loads to be said on the subject.

And yes, I realize people will be offended when sculpts that they like get bashed; but let's be open minded about it (And not let it get to you). Feel free to defend sculpts that you like, but just remember that there's no accounting for tastes in kits as everyone's different.

P.S. Oh yeah, that Sailor Pluto kit is pretty far off from the original design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sailor_Pluto_01.jpg

Can't remember if she was the lesbian one.

Goriyaku
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
you are thinking of sailor uranus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Uranus

serogane
05-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Oh yeah, that's the one. Weren't there like two?

Goriyaku
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah neptune is her main squeeze.

serogane
05-25-2008, 07:31 AM
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w24670290

And another.

serogane
05-28-2008, 12:53 AM
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d74323442

SOLD OUT?! Does that sign below say SOLD OUT?!

nightengale5385
09-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Bump!

:omg::omg: Sheryl on crack:omg::omg:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/nightengale5385/1254228280049.jpg

Tsunamidelta
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Sheryl the crack ho supreme.. that is truely an ugly kit.. Wow.

jcarlton
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Bump!

:omg::omg: Sheryl on crack:omg::omg:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/nightengale5385/1254228280049.jpg

Bad kit or Bad Lighting. I must have thought there was something that doesn't show in that picture when I bought the kit. :puzzled:

secretasianman
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
"Eye of the beholder"

She's a bit off from the character design., but art is for who appreciates it. The sculptor seems to adhere to a specific visage or had specific goals in mind, Like Shel Silverstein mets Shōji Kawamori. Not my cup of tea but there's something for everybody.

Plus, there are some pretty bad ones out there. Don't let Yahoo be a metric of what to expect in a sculptor's showcase:

http://www.wfs21.com/db/products/15/00005301.htm

http://www.wfs21.com/db/products/15/00005250.htm

http://www.wfs21.com/db/character/06/00001434.htm

serogane
09-30-2009, 03:03 AM
http://www.wfs21.com/db/character/06/00001434.htm

Oh wow, the sculptor of the third one from the top should be ashamed of him/herself. Eye of the beholder and all that sure, but that is baaad.

secretasianman
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh wow, the sculptor of the third one from the top should be ashamed of him/herself. Eye of the beholder and all that sure, but that is baaad.

You have that wrong. Some things are artistic and should be left to interpretation or acceptance of artist style.

Other things are crap.

serogane
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Hmm so are you suggesting that as long as one person interprets something as artistic (even though the majority would say otherwise), it couldn't possibly be bad art?

Dirkvanderkraan
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
wow, I would say these are ugly myself. My two cents: Sure, you cant be a pro from the start but some people just can't face the facts, even if the sculpt is "abstract" to express artistic theme, that is something that needs to be trained as well. These kits lack both skill and expression/concept.

Dr.H
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Lol this has to be the best thread about the worse kits!

secretasianman
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmm so are you suggesting that as long as one person interprets something as artistic (even though the majority would say otherwise), it couldn't possibly be bad art?

No I'm saying some things can be art and some things are crap.

I will reiterate: Don't let Yahoo be a metric of what to expect in a sculptor's showcase. Since the International market only sees the "rockstar" sculpts you assume all figures must be the handiwork of the gods and how this garbage got past the festival tribunal is beyond you.

It doesn't help that you carry yourself like an unsatisfied figure snob since clearly they had you in mind and obviously failed your requirements but since you've probably done nothing creative yourself I don't expect you to understand it. At least they did something constructive with their time and *proudly* put it on display which is more than what I can say for you.

Repeat after me: "This does nothing for me. NEXT."

nightengale5385
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
While on the topic lets not leave out some of the bigger companies who want top dollar for shitty figures:

Taki corp-
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1258/0/1

Everyone of their pvc's look like shit.

I don't like this one either.The face looks weird and everytime I look at it I get flashbacks of "the exorcist".

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig08/10083378a.jpg

serogane
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Ok, so are we both agreeing here that the sculpt I was referring to is crap? Cause I was only arguing with your application of the "eye of the beholder" theory you know.

And since when do you have to create something first before your opinion on art becomes valid? People judge art all the time, artist or not. Being another artist doesn't necessary mean you're automatically capable of giving good judgment.

What I don't understand here is why you're getting so worked up about this.

secretasianman
09-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, so are we both agreeing here that the sculpt I was referring to is crap? Cause I was only arguing with your application of the "eye of the beholder" theory you know.

And since when do you have to create something first before your opinion on art becomes valid? People judge art all the time, artist or not. Being another artist doesn't necessary mean you're automatically capable of giving good judgment.

What I don't understand here is why you're getting so worked up about this.

Yeah thanks for reading my initial response in context. Technically there's nothing wrong with the Sheryl which Night posted, For which I responded with my "Eye of the beholder" crap. THEN I proceeded to post examples of ACTUAL SHIT. and EVEN POINTED OUT that it was CRAP but since you enjoy mincing words with your arrogant tunnel-vision YOU managed to derail the focus and applied an objective statement to YET ANOTHER SUBJECTIVE BIAS.

Not to mention after reading your blog entry on canon SD designs inaccurately bashing all of them as "pinkies" with no effort made by the sculptor, it's hard for anyone to accept that you have any appreciation anything that the masses haven't already oozed all over.

So who's the dweller here? Who started this thread anyway?!

serogane
09-30-2009, 07:16 PM
How did I derail the focus at all? Here's what happened:

[OLD STUFF. ASTUTE READERS CAN SKIP ALL THE WAY TO THE NEXT SECTION]

you: applied "eye of beholder" idea to Sheryl posted by Night. Provided examples of truly bad kits.

me: agreed with examples provided. jokes about "eye of the beholder" theory not being enough to save them (reiterated what you implied above)

you: disagree even though the examples you provided yourself earlier were meant to be exempt from the "eye of the beholder" theory.

me: *confused* asked for clarification on your eye-of-the-beholder application.

you: agreed that "some things are [indeed] crap" meaning you do actually agree with what I said earlier. Proceeded to call me a snob nevertheless.

me: *confused* tries to reach mutual understanding.

you: spiel about me not getting it. Call my taste in kits mainstream because of my hate for pinkies and my lack of care in differentiating them from SD kits. Then says I'm dwelling on this too much (which I probably am).

[END. START OF NEXT SECTION]

A thread I made on a whim more than a year ago was revived. I'm joining in again on a whim so what's the big deal? This wasn't meant to be a politically correct thread if you haven't noticed.

nightengale5385
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/nightengale5385/1253875910457.jpg

I don't get it.........:dotdotdot:

Dr.H
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Ok I'm thinking this thread is for us to have a laugh at what we consider a bit "off" of what we find appealing as kits.

My thoughts on art in general in the last 50+ years is almost anything can be considered art as long as it is in the perspective of the "artist" but on a whole many people can agree on what just looks like crap. I've dealt with enough rich yuppie "artists" where I live to know you have to take art as you see is and if it moves you then that's great but if you have to try hard to find whatever vague meaning the artists want to portray then it's usually not your fault for not being cultured as much as the art might just be crap lol.

So let's not take this thread to seriously and just enjoy posting odd looking kits before I have to start poking people :nosepick:I'm a mean poker lol.

secretasianman
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok I'm thinking this thread is for us to have a laugh at what we consider a bit "off" of what we find appealing as kits.

My thoughts on art in general in the last 50+ years is almost anything can be considered art as long as it is in the perspective of the "artist" but on a whole many people can agree on what just looks like crap. I've dealt with enough rich yuppie "artists" where I live to know you have to take art as you see is and if it moves you then that's great but if you have to try hard to find whatever vague meaning the artists want to portray then it's usually not your fault for not being cultured as much as the art might just be crap lol.

So let's not take this thread to seriously and just enjoy posting odd looking kits before I have to start poking people :nosepick:I'm a mean poker lol.

I'm going to have to disagree. What can be considered a laugh can quickly become mean spirited in the blink of an eye. People like to pass judgement but refuse to listen when judgement is passed on themselves. The originator could have easily "moved on" instead of making the effort to create a thread about pointing out shortcomings.

jcarlton
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM

You know I pulled the kit I bought that created the "on crack" comments and looked at it again. One problem is that in the picture the face is shadowed by the figure's hair in such a way that is darker than when I saw it at Chara hobby. Also the hair is cast in translucent resin which makes for an interesting effect. It looks washy in the picture and sort of ruins the whole kit. On the other hand the neck is too thin and tall. That's correctable though and all in all it looks like an interesting build, which is the point. Just because something looks strange in the bad picture doesn't actually mean that its actually bad. In all those bad kits people posted I saw pictures with flash glare and reflections off shiny surfaces. Of course much of that was because of bad paint jobs that misused glossy paint. Even the best sculpt can be ruined by a crappy paint job. But in the end maybe we should go easy on these people who put their time in at these shows in the hopes that somebody will like their work enough that they will buy enough kits so that they can make another kit for next time.

Masa
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
The reason I started this thread was so that people could talk about their least favorite kits (Since almost all the time, people only talk about their favorite kits). I'm sure there are loads to be said on the subject.

And yes, I realize people will be offended when sculpts that they like get bashed; but let's be open minded about it (And not let it get to you). Feel free to defend sculpts that you like, but just remember that there's no accounting for tastes in kits as everyone's different.

It appears that this thread has taken a turn in a sour direction. The original intent or "spirit of the thread" was to discuss things you didn't like about kits (for a change) since the majority of the kits that get recognition are of the "ooohhh and ahhhh" variety. It's all about perspective, It's all subjective, and everyone has a different view - be it kits, sculptors, paint jobs, etc. Personally, I think the title could have been worded a bit more eloquently... but oh well.

Is it a slam on the sculptor? It could surely be taken as such. But we discuss/critique kits and paint jobs all the time and any of those can be taken in the same context. Discussing things you don't like can be just as beneficial as praise and might help those who are aspiring to sculpt themselves.

Nightengale posted that she didn't like the kit, but Jcarlton saw something he liked and purchased. No one is right or wrong, there are just different opinions - and each member is entitled to his/her own opinion. Regardless of the "why" aspect, sometimes even the greats have a few lemons. Be it a bad paint job or photo, a hurried schedule, lack of sleep, whatever. Pointing out an aesthetic perspective is not the equivalent of saying "everything this sculptor makes is garbage."

Can it be misconstrued and twisted? You betcha. But that goes for just about anything ever said or posted on the internet. For the most part, we are consumers, and what we purchase has way more say in whether or not we appreciate the time and effort put forth by the producers.

Kumama
10-02-2009, 08:51 AM
jcarlton, I actually think the kit is pretty cool too. She has a bit of a tim burton-y vibe, which is not true to character but I find intriguing just the same. The only thing I find a bit disappointing is that her shirt and skirt seem to be a little chunky looking, like the sculptor was rushed and didn't have time to add the detail or feel he was trying to go for with the rest of the kit. Will you be fixing that on your build? I look forward to the wip :)

Dr.H
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Kumama I was thinking the same Tim Burton thing when I saw it lol.

I don't recall anyone making fun of any sculptors since most of these guys do a great job in a limited hobby, but even great sculptors can make odd looking kits now and then, just like great directors making bad movies. I think we can all be light hearted about it. If you think a kit looks funny or odd then that is fine just don't go overboard in you criticism to offend anyone who does like it and likewise there is no need to be to "P.C." about things. We all are friends here just having fun together so no one should take things to personal.

Tsunamidelta
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Hmm.. yep!

Can't we all just get along!?!?!?!