View Full Version : Fury and Devastation

09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Two weeks ago today we were enjoying a lovely sunny day here on the Texas Gulf Coast, tempered by the knowledge that a monster storm was about 400 miles off the coast, aiming right for us. My employees and I were packing up all of our computers, edit systems, HD cameras, hard drives, backups and raid arrays, preparing for evacuation.

A little over 36 hours later, all hell broke loose.

I am one of the fortunate ones, and even though we have spent the last two weeks slogging through waterlogged belongings, moving out of our beloved studios in the dark without electricity, and experiencing a total business shutdown, there are many who have it a whole lot worse than I. We have found new office space and are doubling the size of our facilities, and I will be signing a new five year lease today. We hope to move on Saturday and plan to be back up and operating at about 50 per cent capacity on Monday.

It will be months - perhaps years - before things return to "normal" here on the coast, but I count my blessings daily and pray for those less fortunate than I.

I've compiled some 70 photos that will give you a taste of the fury and devastation of Hurricane Ike and the effects on our community. You can see the entire gallery HERE (http://filmmkr.smugmug.com/gallery/6061224_zboCc#380041354_NdjLu). In the meantime, here's a sample.

You can see this highway from my front yard. This photo was taken one-half mile from my house:

This is directly across the lake from our home:

About a mile from where we live:

For the rest of the photos, go HERE (http://filmmkr.smugmug.com/gallery/6061224_zboCc#380041354_NdjLu).

09-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Wow ... these pictures are mindblowing .... and so scary ..... hard to explain.

These situations are so hard for me to imagine ... because I live in a country with no earthquakes, no tornados and so on and on ...... some heavy rain in August is about it ...

I feel with all of you who is again and again struck by these unimaginable disasters.

09-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Glad you made it through ok. It's hard to imagine having to deal with all that. I've been lucky so far and never had to deal with any major disasters (knock on wood), though some tornados have hit places fairly close to my home at times.

I read something in the paper the other day that Texas may put some little used law into effect about tide lines and some people may lose their homes and property along the coast. :(

Good luck rebuilding and hope things return to some sort of normal soon, for everyone there.