PDA

View Full Version : Total newbie

Nia's Husbando
10-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Hi! I've been lurking for a while and I decided that I should finally present myself. Some info about me: I'm 22 years old, I work as an artist, here I'm hoping that my poor knowledge about anatomy will come in handy when trying to sculpt.
I'm really interested in getting into sculpting my own figures, but I'm completely lost as to where should I start and everything I should be buying to start. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be really thankful.

Dr.H
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Welcome to GKJ ;) Don't mind the mess as were under a bit of construction at the moment lol.

Feel free to ask anything you want. I'm sure some of our sculptors will respond to your questions shortly.

Arieanna
10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey welcome aboard from another interested in the sculpting aspect ;)

Just a quick hi for now. It's been a long day at work so I'm calling it a night early, but I'll try to make time to pop on tomorrow and give you my personal input on things. I'm sure some others will add theirs as well :)

Masa
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay! ::thumb

Nia's Husbando
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome! yeah, I'll keep looking around for now :p. I have to get some money first before I can start buying the materials, but I'm looking forward to starting and sharing my progress on the board.

blade_runner
10-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Some basic stuff that's cheap:

Aluminum wire that you can pick up at a local hardware store for making armatures. Heavier gauge stuff works better as you can flatten parts of it with pliers to hold the clay better.

Go to an art supply store and pick up Crayola's Air Dry Clay http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/products/AirDryClay/index.cfm

This stuff is a little brittle, but very easy to work with and holds on to armatures well.

While you're there, pick up the plastic or wooden handled basic set of sculpting knives and chisels.

Sculpting is way more fun than kit building, and all you need is some time to practice and a basic knowledge of anatomy and character.

Dr.H
10-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I think sculpting will also grow in popularity again as PVC figure quanity go up and Resin down. ;) Heck I may even give it a try some day.

Arieanna
10-09-2008, 08:39 PM
ok promised id be back so here i am :) im sure others will have their own opinions and may (definately likely) know more than me but this is just what ive seen and read and experienced myself

a lot of artists in the U.S like to use Super Sculpey. ive never used it myself, only the regular sculpey which is like bread dough when it warms up (no fun). Super Sculpey on the other hand holds detail much better and is a bit firmer. you can mix it with some black sculpey III and get a nice grey shade that makes it easy to see imperfections. its sandable, stays fairly workable until you bake it (though it does dry out some if left in the air too long it wont actually set solid until baked). this is one artist off the top of my head that i know uses super sculpey, though he uses a self made mix of clays for things like the hands that prevent breaking (the mix he uses is really flexible).
http://spectrestudios.deviantart.com/

another medium you can look into trying is wax. many of the toy makers make their action figure prototypes out of it. it can be carved, added to, sanded, buffed to a shine, molds made from it, and eventually melted down and reused if you want. anotehr medium that ive never used myself but interested in trying out. just havent bothered since you need thing slike a hot wax gun and with small kids around i dont see the point.

2-part Epoxy putties (aka plumbers putty) sets rock solid. can add to it fairly easily, sandable, can drill it, mold from it. it is fairly hard to carve however. (at least in my experience) most hardware stores will carry it in their plumbing dept so its fairly easy to come by. you need to work in small sections however since if you mix too much up at one time you ont be able to use it all before it sets.

Polyester putty (aka Bondo or auto body filler)- very smelly and toxic but some great results from it. a material you use by basically building up big and carving back to what you want. sandable, carvable, moldable, can add to it. its some decent stuff. i use Bondo- glazing and spot putty for filling seams and pinholes in resin kits. the heavy duty stuff i used when making the cloak for the Sailor Cosmos figure ive been working on.

Japanese paper clay- not really made of paper like the name says. I love the stuff. its my personal material of choice. if you dont mind the dust buildup that comes from sanding and are ok working by build up bigger first, then carve/sand down to what you want, this is a great material. heres a review i wrote a while back about Mr.Clay and New Fando
http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=166

some materials require you to use an armature since they are not able to support themselves. im sure all will require some sort of sanding or carving at some point. some materials smooth with just a little water, others will take something a bit stronger like rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid (they smooth well but evaporate quickly so clays dont get mushy from too much moisture)

ok ive kinda lost my train of thought for the time being. if i think of anything else ill post again or if you have any questions feel free to ask :keke:

Cibermonje
10-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the forum Nia! :D

I have a little question to you , Arieanna ... (because you are talking about sculpting, i have some questions reffered to this topic that can help Nias's :D)

I've only found something like paper clay in mi town, its a light grey thing that dry left in the air ... i foud it usefull to fill some holes and later sand the extra clay.
but when i tried to sculp something with it, it brokes easilly , so i think im not doing it well. you know any tutorial for sculpt with it ?

(the brand i found is "DAS" its a red and white package announced as "Modelling Material" ._. )

Anticipated Thanks :)

Arieanna
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Some paper clays just do not have the strength to handle sculpting figures if they're going to be worked or handled much. not entirely sure what the differerence is. in my opinion, New Fando is worth some added expence to get since its very durable and can handle quite a bit of handling and working. you can get the stuff fairly thin without having to worry about breakage.

if you want to work with the stuff you found more, you can always try supporting it with a wire armature. of course that will make it more difficult to cut the pieces apart if you start by working on a whole figure instead of pieces.