PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder Festival? Treasure Festival is right around the corner

serogane
11-15-2008, 12:05 AM
That's right, Treasure Festival 2009 will be huge. I checked the dealer list, and it seems that most of the GK big guns will be going.

Treasure Festival will take place Feb 22, 2009.

http://www.treasure-festa.com/index.html

Masa
11-15-2008, 04:44 AM
I hope it doesn't end up being a big PVC party :cry:

Sponsored by Griffon Enterprises... ah.... just like the days of old.

Little trivia for the young'uns - Wonder Festival was first started by Gainax/General Products as a party/event at their Osaka store in 1984. WonderFest would later to be taken over by Kaiyodo in 1992. Also in 1992, a little toy company called Bandai and a little hobby magazine called Hobby Japan created JafCon (Japan Fantastic Convention), which later docked with C3 and Hobby Expo to become CharaHobby. Amazingly... ALSO in 1992... a little sci-fi monster shop called Fewture (Art Storm) had their very first Super Festival event. :D

serogane
11-15-2008, 08:52 PM
But hey, isn't WF like that too, with a lot of emphasis on PVCs?

Masa
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes, of course it is... now... it wasn't always like that though... :p

I was referring to the vast exodus of gk makers who are migrating to cheap prepaints for the quick cash-in. Not that you can blame them, I know I probably would too if given the opportunity. If you think about the usual thirty year cycle for trends, we should be getting back towards the "Golden Era" of garage kits again soon. It doesn't look too promising though - in this fast food convenience oriented self serve quick fix world we live in... the average hobbyist who wants a figure of character (x) will just buy the blister packed prepaint instead of messing with nasty resins and harsh chemicals and spending the time to build and paint a garage kit.

Remember, the whole motivation for the birth of garage kits was that the fans couldn't get figures of their favorite character so they had to make it themselves. Now, that you have multiple versions of almost any character sculpted by the same artists who used to make those awesome resin kits, is there really a need for garage kits anymore? The festivals and events seem to really reflect that attitude.

serogane
11-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh yeah, I know there's a lot of PVC that I'd like to see in GK form, not to mention PVC is cheaper and more plentiful compared to GKs.

Your last paragraph pretty much nails it. I couldn't have said it better myself.

MidZ
12-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I always thought of the figures festival a "creative gathering of artists who makes cool and sexy figures that isn't available in the mass market... YET ", and still is.
I got to confess that I have been bitten by the PVC bug a LOT of time. But a having experience the joy of making your figure from scratch, casting them and painting them yourself is awesome feeling. That is why I still regards GK as THE hobby... the kind of thing you invest emotion, time, patience and of course money, in something you truly enjoy doing.

Masa
12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
And to think we owe it all to a dentist... who one day thought "hey, I make dentures all day with two part molds and acrylic resin... maybe I can cast my Mothra sculpture?"

Go go Godzilla! ::thumb

serogane
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
A dentist eh? Is that how this hobby originated?

It's kinda fitting, since dentists charge a ton as well.

Revliss
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
i for one have not play with any resin kits, mostly plastic model kit and metal figure, none of them are pre paint. i am hopping that GK will not get replace by PVC any time soon. so where you guys get your GK ? ebay ?

serogane
12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Haha, I wish. It's pretty much all recasts on there (And not the good quality kind either). Of course I've never bought any before so I'm basing it on all hearsay.

Close though - I buy off of Yahoo Japan Auction (Which is Japan's equivalent of EBay) through a deputy agent. The commission they charge is perfectly fair, but internal + external shipping is killing me.

Revliss
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
yap we all hate paying for shiping .. maybe i be able to make some GK to sell my self :P

kimoi
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Just by way of wondering, who else is going to Treasure Festa?

kimoi
02-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Also, my kanji reading is still pretty bad,
Where exactly IS Treasure Festa? (was planning on going, if it's close enough)

Masa
02-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Hall number 9 at Makuhari Messe

http://www.m-messe.co.jp/index_e.html

The next one will be at Tokyo Big Sight in Ariake :)

kimoi
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Excellent! It's a bit of a train ride, but not too far. I think I'll be attending, then.

Masa
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Excellent! It's a bit of a train ride, but not too far. I think I'll be attending, then.

Sounds like fun. Make sure you take some pics and give us the scoops when you get back ::thumb

I'd like to go, but it's a really long train ride for me :sweat:

telemarq
02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
I'll be in Japan and around Tokyo 17 Mar through 8 April. Are there any model or hobby shows during this time? I was over there last year same time and caught Hobby Complex at the Big Site.

I have to get my yearly cherry blossom fix! And green tea, ramen, sashimi, sake, etc., of course. :lol:

Masa
02-19-2009, 06:39 AM
I'll be in Japan and around Tokyo 17 Mar through 8 April. Are there any model or hobby shows during this time? I was over there last year same time and caught Hobby Complex at the Big Site.

I have to get my yearly cherry blossom fix! And green tea, ramen, sashimi, sake, etc., of course. :lol:

The next Treasure Festa is April 5 at Tokyo Big Sight :)
Unfortunately, the next Hobby Complex won't be until May.

telemarq
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Hot diggity! Thanks for the info, I WILL be there 5 April. ::thumb