PDA

View Full Version : Tools and equipment for beginners

Kyte
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I think it would be a great Idea to have a list of some tools and Equipment for beginners. I did do a search but didn't come up with anything.

If everyone would like to contribute, I think this would be a great starting point for beginners. All parts of the world would benefit with different brands being used.

I think it best to start with things you'll need to use from the beginning of work :)

How do you clean your models? Grease remover brand and what to avoid?

What type of pins do you use? Size pin recommending for model sizes?

Hand Drills? Dremel?

What do you use to fill in pin holes and gapping?

What grades of Sand paper would you use to start and finish?

What brand and colour of Primer? Airbrush Vs Can?

Airbrush types and compressors? Min PSI and CO2 Tanks?

What paints do you use? Type and brands.

Additional equipment and tools?

I think It would be a great starter for all beginners and myself! If enough people participate maybe we could Sticky it :)

Kyte~

syn13
11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
For the majority of it, I got most of my info form Dr.H's Pinning Tutorial (http://www.gkjapan.com/showthread.php?t=458) thats sticky'd in this section already. Mentions many things that you're asking about related to putty to pinning(hand drills).
From what I've heard from cleaning the mold release from resin kits are typical warm water plus detergent and leave it to sit overnight works. But many other uses varying types of automotive degreaser. I use the Orange brand degreaser.
I have a set of sanding files and generally use 400 or 600 grade sandpaper(does a good enough job).

I'm not quite there at paints but I got a crappy entry level Tamiya airbrush + compressor, planning to use Mr. Color paints rather than Tamiya.

Dr.H
11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
How do you clean your models? Grease remover brand and what to avoid?
I brush with then soak in Purple Power degreaser which is just a cheaper version of the Castrol or Gunk brands. Follow up with some soap and water to clean.

What type of pins do you use? Size pin recommending for model sizes?
Covered this in my tutorial syn13 just mentioned.

Hand Drills? Dremel?

What do you use to fill in pin holes and gapping?

What grades of Sand paper would you use to start and finish?
Hmm depends a lot on the model I usually go in stages from 150 to 600 butsome people will wetsand with 1000+.

What brand and colour of Primer? Airbrush Vs Can?
I use GSI Mr Surfacer for the AirBrush. I use grey to cover and it comes in different thicknesses of 500, 1000 and 1200. I then use GSI Mr. Base White before adding any color paint.
Many people use etching automotive primers.

Airbrush types and compressors? Min PSI and CO2 Tanks?
If your in the U.S.A it's Iwata brand all the way. With Iwata or Silentaire compressors. I prefer ones with built in air tanks.
If you want to import or have access to them. GSI, Tamiya or Wave airbrushes are good. Their all pretty much made by the same company, it's just harder to get parts for them stateside.

What paints do you use? Type and brands.
I've been using GSI Mr. Hobby acrylic but I will be moving to Mr. Color lacquer paints after they're gone since I like working with lacquers best.
Lots of people use Tamiya or Model Masters since their easy to find locally and there are a few custom brands and European brands out there that are really good.
I'm not a fan of enamels.

Additional equipment and tools?
Hmm other than what I already listed or can't think of.. lol
I'd say buying or building a good spraybooth is important. Good lighting, respirator, misc hobby knives, small files, small clamps. Low tack masking is important. A self healing cutting mat. I'm sure people will list lots of things I forgot but the basics will get you going.

Take a look at some of members kit builds(WIPS) they show a lot of the things you'll need as they use them and explain why they do.