View Full Version : Looking for magazines with GK news

12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm looking for a figure magazine that focuses on garage kits (Like at least half of the magazine). I'm tired of being left out of the loop and reduced to reading PVC/Prepaint figure blogs for snippets of news on garage kits.

Recently Hobby Japan 2009 January Edition featured Chorosuke's upcoming 1/4 Kanu Unchou kit so I looked into the magazine; but it looks like Gundam and mecha are its focus. I remember Replicant was one of the main ones in the past, but are there any others that I can look into? Like actual information/news on upcoming kits, and not *just* pictures of figures/kits (Can't remember if Replicant was like that now)?

Edit: Also, you will be greatly appreciated if you could provide information on how to order the magazine.

12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I stopped buying magazines for that reason - there is almost no coverage of resin kits anymore. Hobby Japan, Dengeki Hobby, even Model Graphix. Most of them have less than half a page an issue devoted to resin kits. I can read the entire resin/gk section in 30 seconds - standing at the bookstore. I have since cancelled my subscriptions to all three.

Replicant and Figure Maniacs have long since turned into pvc prepaint mags. Neither one is really useful unless you buy the issue after a major show, and even then, there is almost nothing that you can't find on the internet roundup reviews. That, and the fact that they both only release a couple issues a year at most - you can't really get breaking news from either.

The only time I'll buy a hobby mag these days is if I need a coupon for a mail order special or something of the like.

The big problem is that most of the manufacturers of kits have quit making gk's. There are only a handful that actually license properties to make a kit anymore. If you want to see what the independent sculptors are working on - you need to visit the individual sites to get upcoming news.

12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Aw geez that sucks. But thanks for that though - here I had another one of my spur-of-the-moment brilliant ideas of ordering all 34 Replicant Mooks to date off of Amazon Japan (~40000 yen). Glad you talked me out of it.

Individual websites it is then. Still, the trouble lies with sculptors who don't have sites or sculptors who don't bother to upload their latest kits to their sites. Frustrating to say the least.

12-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Nightengale, Doc, Stu and some other friends helped put together a massive list of sculptor websites way back when - you should definitely check it out if you haven't already ::thumb

12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh I did. :)

But thanks for that anyways.