PDA

View Full Version : Original kit?

Goriyaku
02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
How do you tell if a kit is an original one or a recast, if the original box has been lost? I just bought a sailor star healer from a local comic shop for 13.95. She said she didn't have the box it originally came in, just the bag and instructions. The cast is near flawless, the resin is yellowish in color, it looks like an original cast.
The instructions do not look like a scaned copy either. If this truely is an original, I think I stole it from the lady for $13.95. :ninja:

http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH01.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH02.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH03.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH06.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH04.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/sailorpizza01/SH05.JPG

secretasianman
02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Having discovered this hobby thorough recasts I can only say you might be surprised at how well a kit can be replicated.

On the same token, I also have my fair share of original casts that require minor surgery work and this minor phenomenon is more visible in event kits than production kits.

In my eyes, if it was original, it was a steal :) if it's not, it's a very workable kit. The important part is you're happy with your purchase ^_^

However if you truly must know, have a good look with a magnifier, see if you can detect any casting artifacts that cannot come from a first generation mold such as double seams, merged gates and pinholes with "soft" edges.

Otherwise, congrats on your find!

Goriyaku
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
seemlines are solid. I'm am happy with it! I just ordered Star Maker from Masa, then found this one. All I need to do now is hunt down Sailor Star Fighter. I will have to wait though, I've blown my $$ for the time being on these two :hehe: Not to mention I now have 5 kits that need to be assembled.

secretasianman
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
The only thing better than owning many kits... is completing a series ^o^ Are those a part of a set?

Masa
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Like Secret mentioned - it's not really an issue since you are building it for yourself and not trying to resell it somewhere.In my experiences, if you feel you must know for sure, then look at the source of purchase. Just the fact that you bought it at a comic shop is fairly suspect. Through what kind of route did the kit arrive there? I'm not sure about now - but back in the day, comic distributors used to import recasts directly through the same route that they ordered comics through. If the shop you purchased it from has shelves full of original kits and this one bagged kit was sitting there next to them, then yeah, maybe the box was damaged or lost. If it was just one bag parked next to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures... then it's really hard to say.

You should be able to compare the quality of the two when your kit (thanks again for the purchase ::thumb ) from me arrives.

Arieanna
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
if you want, i can check my copy of this kit and take some pics for comparison for you. i can't say for sure without digging mine out.

good find though and at a comic shop no less. i dont think ive seen any comic shops in my area sell anything except the occasional plastic robot kit and those very rarely. looking forward to seeing your build up of her. i was thinking the set would be my next actual build, which should be soon i hope. got myself a new desk to work at and now just need some other misc stuff before i unpack all my modelling stuff and get busy :)

Goriyaku
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
good find though and at a comic shop no less. i dont think ive seen any comic shops in my area sell anything except the occasional plastic robot kit and those very rarely. looking forward to seeing your build up of her. i was thinking the set would be my next actual build, which should be soon i hope. got myself a new desk to work at and now just need some other misc stuff before i unpack all my modelling stuff and get busy :)

New Desk!! Gratz to you! I can't wait to get to putting my kits together too. Just waiting on our house to be finished. All my art stuff , everything is packed away :(

secretasianman, they are part of a set :) They are from Sailor Moon Stars.

There were several other kits, I did not recognize them.. They have a small corner set up for some of the anime/manga stuff they get in as trades for other stuff, or that they buy from individuals. At the price i expected recast ,however, even the recasts of this kit online sell for $40+. Then I saw the quality of it, and suspected they didn't know what had because there was no box. Then again, many comic shop people know thier goods well. So I guess this can swing in either direction. No matter, I bought it. I have it now, and I got it at a steal of a price regaurdless. Epic of a find for me, I'm a huge sailor moon fan.

secretasianman
02-07-2009, 11:06 PM
secretasianman, they are part of a set :) They are from Sailor Moon Stars.

Sets can excite... and they can haunt you maddeningly if not complete ( I'm still missing Sayaka pictured in the middle. )

Make sure you don't pass up that last missing kit!!!!!!

http://www.tellyourfriends.org/tomomi/0502_026a.jpg

Goriyaku
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
oooh she's so beautiful!! I hope you find her. What are they from?

I get upset with my collections. when I collect something I want it all the same. For example, Mermaid Melody gashapon. I can get Luchia, Rina, and Hannon in mermaid form and Idol form, the other 5 in Idol form. I want all of them in both mermaid and Idol from. (this is where my sculpting abilities can come in handy)

secretasianman
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
oooh she's so beautiful!! I hope you find her. What are they from?

They're from the 'game' (eroge/visual novel/dating sim) "Welcome to Pia Carrot 3" and I've been enamored with their designs despite never having played. Something about their healthy, bursting beauty just screams "buy me" :keke:

Tsunamidelta
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Pia Carrot Three.. was and is Quite Nice.. Very nice..

::wants to cuddle Tomomi.. and a few others....::

secretasianman
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
:rolleyes: I won't lie, something about game characters just makes you want to buy them all.

For example:
Fate/Stay night
To Heart
Shuffle!/Tick!Tock!/Really?Really!:wub:
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien/Muv Luv/Muv Luv Alternative
etc. etc. etc...

I can't be the only one who thinks this way, am I?

Tsunamidelta
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
No... No you don't..

I know if I see Saber or Rin's... I tend to get them..

Tomori... A few others ^^;;

Seriously.. H-Game Character designs tend to be some of the best I've found.

Matt

Goriyaku
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I just adore all of the muv luv characters I have two Meiya Mitsurugi and a Sumika i will one day collect them all....... I can now add Pia Carrot to my list of lovelies!! My husband always says " I don't know anything about anime, but it's kind of hawt that my wife likes half dressed anime chicks" I can't help it, they are so beautiful.. I not only want to collect them, but to sculpt them as well. I like To Heart also, I have several of the characters in Gashapon.

secretasianman
02-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't help it, they are so beautiful...

Goriaku, that just about sums me up too... :giggle: